• Software
  • What do you think about Digital Performer 9? (p.2)
2017/12/05 22:35:23
donbelisle
 I run DP 9.5. I upgraded to the latest because of the "audio time-stretching and pitch-shifting" additions that got added on 9.5.
 DP is not as intuitive as Sonar (but I do like how they have it setup). I have been using DP since the 8.0 Windows version came out. It is a nice tool, stable DAW. But I have so many Sonar projects that have their own sounds, mixes unique to Cakewalk tools, I been hesitant to use DP 9.5 more.
My plan is to progress with DP 9.5, add Cubase and even Studio 1 version 3. 

What I will miss is the Sonar forums and friends here. I hope Sonar get picked up and lives on. Till then, I making backup drive images of my latest configurations of Sonar. I feel Sonar has become a pinnacle of a well tuned modern DAW for musicians.  I like DP 9.5 a lot, it was my 2nd go to DAW. No regrets whatsoever. 
2017/12/05 22:52:22
JohnEgan
Blogospherianman
 Also find myself squinting and leaning forward to be able to read Cubase 9.5 text (too small as well)

I also find this about all the other DAW's everything's so small, even on 32" monitor and/or little contrast, not friendly to visually impaired people. Actually CuBase even forces me to change my windows screen preferences from high contrast setting to Aero themes, high contrast settings not allowed, or it doesn't even start, (then also turns on systems sounds) its somewhat invasive (but dont bother to criticize anything on their forum, they moderate and dont allow criticism apparently). 
Im surprised they dont ask you for fingerprints and mug shots before authorizing use.
("Sign zee papers old man!!!")  LOL.  Going for eye surgery in January hopefully that helps.

Should have added I downloaded DP and will demo, appreciate tips here.

Cheers  
2017/12/06 16:22:33
bvideo
Rumor has it that MOTU will offer a substantial discount for the crossgrade we might like in the next few days. Meanwhile, the software can be used in demo mode for 30 days.

I used Performer (pre-digital) version 5.5 on the Mac and it already had great notation and a very nice MIDI implementation.

These days it's all about audio transient and tempo analysis and pitch shifting, in-house solutions, not ARA melodyne style (though they do support VocAlign). There is a file format (by Apple) for customizing external MIDI instrument patch lists, though the format is not documented by MOTU. There is plenty of support for sysex. They also have provisions for "arranging" songs by parts and sections ("chunks"). Audio routing and studio setup have some concepts not much like Sonar, and MIDI routing allows for e.g. routing one MIDI track to multiple outputs.

I've only looked at the manual, & will install the demo shortly.

P.S. maybe no VST3?
2017/12/06 16:42:50
Slugbaby
The engineer who mixed my last album swears by DP in his "pro studio."
He's been using it forever and has the workflows down.  He's worked with some of the best producers & engineers in the world, with virtually every DAW, and loves DP.
2017/12/07 20:34:33
Kev999
One thing that that attracts me to Digital Performer is the manual. It's well written and very readable. It can be downloaded here:
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/software/Digital%20Performer%20User%20Guide.pdf
2017/12/07 21:25:55
Blogospherianman
Unfortunately no VST 3 support at this time. 😞 Fast email response though, saying they would forward my VST 3 wish to the developement team.
2017/12/07 21:45:28
backwoods
delete
2017/12/09 05:18:45
Kev999
I know I said that the DP manual is well written, but some of the terminology is baffling. A glossary should have been included. For example, their use of the word "bundle" is a real puzzle to me.
2017/12/16 00:37:20
richlion821
I ordered DP 9.5 from Motu yesterday. I also have been using their 24AO audio interface. Up until 12/21 I could cross grade with Sonar for $199, any version will do. One page say you need the serial number and send a page from a  owners manual, and I haven't had a physical manual since Sonar 3? I emailed them and showed them a copy of my orders with the serial numbers, and they say that is good. Another page gives you 3 options to verify to keep it working after a few weeks. I've using Cakewalk since the DOS version in 1987, 30 years ago. The AAF export transferred my audio tracks into DP 9.5 and they sound real good, I transferred so far one MIDI track using a audio plugin via the Broadcast wave format, and the timing was perfect. I got a lot to learn and I'll be here for days converting stuff, I'll still use Sonar, and I'm not sure what VST's didn't load yet, I do hope that the VST3's work, I deleted all copies of the VST2's of the same version. I haven't been happy how some simple MIDI functions did not work anymore with the Platinum upgrades, and I almost upgraded 2 months ago, but got lucky because somehow my payments wouldn't go through with Pay Pal or my credit cards. Sad to see this come to a end, but I was also not too happy with them not fixing the bugs in the MIDI section. They fix it with one update, and the next one the bugs were back. That should have been fixed for free, but that's water under the bridge now, good luck to everyone on which direction you go and have a great new year. I remember that ever since Cakewalk went to Windows, Sonar would come up with a new plug-in additions or instruments, I've just had to have. I haven't seen anything in the last few years that made me fell that way. I didn't feel like I was getting anything new. 
2017/12/16 01:45:13
djwayne
Well DP 9.5 is a bit of a challenge to learn but should be worth it in the end. Mixcraft is much simpler to use but doesn't have the sound modules that DP has. The sound modules in DP 9.5 are great and is what convinced me to buy the crossgrade. I have the boxed version which includes a program disk, a quick start manual, the serial number card, in a very nice box.......so far I really like it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account