• SONAR
  • Exporting CbB files to Studio One (p.2)
2018/10/27 03:31:33
sock monkey
Can you not "tool copy" any track into any DAW. I know it works into a Sound Forge and Wave Lab, but would it also not work into a DAW?? Hmmm. Where's Mr Cook? 
2018/10/27 12:52:03
tenfoot
jlhawk
Thank you for the input everyone. I will sometimes start tracks at different times depending onthe song, so that will be challenging, but I should be able to line them back up on the other side... I had read somewhere Studio one uses a format called AFF, but I've not seen it used anywhere else... Standards would be a great thing...

All that I would add is that once you have a transfered a few songs from Sonar to S1 by exporting broadcast waves then dragging them into S1 using its file browser ( you can drag multiple tracks at once to place them on consecutive tracks, or drag using the control command to place multiple waves on a single track) then executing the 'move to origin' command in the S1 file menu to place them at their correct location on the timeline, you will find it is a farly simple process. Then just copy over any eq and vst plugin settings to the appropriate tracks and you are good to go. I have transfered over 100 large projects now. Unlike Aszlow, I have not had a single problem or crash in over a year, which I find quite extraordinary. Well worth the effort in my experience.
To be fair though, Sonar was also stable on my system and I used it happily for a very long time. Just not that stable:)

AAF was the succesor to OMF, which is a bit long in the tooth now and never really took off. Pro tools, logic, digital performer and Studio One all read AAF format. It is far from perfect, nowhere near universal and in all likelyhood destined to follow OMF into obscurity, but better than nothing. It seems unlikely that CbB would introduce it, but I guess you never know.
2018/10/27 15:07:25
jlhawk
Again, Lots of great information. Bought the eBook Craig, and found it's on special from Reverb. I needed this anyway. Nice to have a reference on the software. Thanks for the explanation of OMF/AAF tenfoot. I wondered why I don't see OMF anymore. I did use it a few years back to get project files to someone who was mastering for me on the west coast. the process worked at the time, it's a shame it never got refined... Thank you every one...
Jackson
2018/11/02 12:19:32
SuiteSpot
azslow3 has done a great job reading Sonar session files.
AATranslator can write the native SO .song format which means that it will convert almost anything (ProTools, OMF, AAF, etc) to Studio One but unfortunately we don't currently have the resources to invest in Sonar/CbB.
And for those that may be interested Sonar's OMF format allows stereo media to be referenced which actually contravenes the OMF specification which can cause grief for some other DAWs
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account