• Features & Ideas
  • Cakewalk Command Center/Platinum - Download Files and Some Other Suggestions
2015/01/23 08:38:26
sephult@hotmail.com
Hello,

So one thing I noticed is that all of the download files still remain in the Program Data folder. In most cases I wouldn't mind, however I am limited by a smaller SSD and they are greatly taking up room. Is there a preferred or safer option for removing these? I do not see one through the interface so I am going to have to manually delete these.

Some suggestions for Cakewalk Command Center and Platinum

1. Support tickets and suggestions via Command Center
2. Installation Size information including total as well as individual before and after installation.
3. All program paths listed within the Command Center (still rely on explorer even after to know the paths)
4. Download option which either saves or removes the download files after installation.

Platinum I would love to see more than one custom toolbar, loving this option as before I always had to keybind everything.

-S
2015/01/23 09:23:51
AlanPerkins
Another point - there appeared to be no opportunity to set the installation directory. You should be able to set the installation directory before it goes ahead and installs.
2015/01/23 09:26:19
sephult@hotmail.com
I agree Alan,
So I just cleaned up and one thing I noticed is not only does the downloads reside in the Program Data folder on Windows...it also keeps multiple downloads so depending on the updates this can grow quite a bit. I had already 12+ gig stored in this folder. So far no problems with just manually deleting these files.

-S
2015/01/23 11:21:08
bmogo
AlanPerkins
Another point - there appeared to be no opportunity to set the installation directory. You should be able to set the installation directory before it goes ahead and installs.

I have apparently solved this issue although it should be absolutely un-necessary.  What I did was this:  After I chose the Platinum install from Command Center, it did it's thing without asking me.  I then went into the Command Center and did an uninstall of it completely.  This, however, left the originally downloaded files in the Command Center Download folder.  I went into that, right clicked on the Platinum file, chose Run As Administrator, and it asked for input and let me choose the path to the install just like previous versions.  I also changed the path in the Command Center under the Gear icon to point all the VST files, etc, to the drives that they should be installed to.

This would be fixed for Cakewalk customers VERY easily if , in addition to the INSTALL and INSTALL ALL buttons in Command Center, they just added a DOWNLOAD ONLY button.  I don't know what would be so hard about letting advanced computer users make their own choices.

Bmogo
2015/01/23 11:46:44
jbraner
These things have all been suggested already (I appreciate there are lots of posts to wade through this week)
A couple of things though:

- you can change the download folder (to get it off your SSD) in the Command Center settings (top right there's a little box)

- I'm guessing it keeps all the old versions - to use when you want to "revert" back to an older version...
2015/01/23 12:52:42
SilkTone
Also, they should add the ability to uninstall DimPro and Rapture. Even though C3 installed Sonar Platinum on my D drive alongside the older versions, it still installed DimPro and Rapture on the C drive. It is also a very limited space OS-only SSD. And now I can't even uninstall it (that I can tell, anyway).

But C3 is an infant. I'm sure CW will address all of these issues at some point.
2015/01/23 13:15:09
brundlefly
SilkTone
Even though C3 installed Sonar Platinum on my D drive alongside the older versions, it still installed DimPro and Rapture on the C drive.

That's odd; I had exactly the reverse experience. Platinum initially went to C: though all previous versions are on D:, but Dim Pro and Rapture went to D: where previous versions existed.

I had to uninstall Platinum, and run the download manually to get the option to install to a different drive\path. Now all is good except that CCC doesn't recognize that the current release is installed, and wants me to update. And I'm concerned that if I install any Platinum update from CCC that it's going to default back to C:. I've been reviewing various threads about this, but haven't found a definitive statement on that. I might just have to bite the bullet and try it.

On the whole, I like the direction that CCC is going; and I can see how non-power-users will benefit from having everything automated, but there needs to be a little more flexibility/customization built into it to support different environments. I'll wager that's in the pipeline.
2015/01/23 14:37:27
SilkTone
Correction... C3 did install some of Sonar on my D drive. Things like Arpeggiator Patters, CAL Scripts, etc. That is about 1.04GB of data. But it did install the actual Sonar exe on my C drive. That folder is about 126MB of data.
2015/08/07 08:56:40
GregGraves
I have some 20 gigs in this folder (now that I looked due to this post).  Before deleting all these downloads, I thought maybe I should save all these as a backup for a reinstall once my computer dies, and I haven't kept paying my $100/year to access these files through Command Center.  An extra layer of safety?  Is that so?
2015/08/07 12:09:43
Cactus Music
This laptop is pretty fresh and I only have music stuff and Office. 
It only has a 240GB SSD so I need to pay attention to storage. 
My DAW is off line so I'm using the manual install and I downloaded everything in my account that is to do with Platium and put it on a external drive. That folder looks to be 8.6 GB. 
I have a global Sonar folder with all the downloads includig Platinum, Professional and Dim Pro etc at that folder is 15 GB. So so far that's not bad I think. 

I have both Profession and Platinum installed on this laptop and everything else in my account. I used CCC until all lights turned green. 
So looking at My Computer / C 
Cakewalk Content = 3.8 GB
Cakewalk Projects = 2.5 GB  ( there are 100 projects in here light on audio ) 
Program Files = 10 GB
Program Files (x86) 3 GB 

So I don't see that there is much of an issue even with a small SSD drive. 
I was going to unistall Professional as I will not use it but there seems little to gain. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account