• Features & Ideas
  • Feature R... Midi Multi Band Frequency Filter w the Ability to Solo the Individual Bands (p.2)
2016/02/22 07:38:06
kennywtelejazz
azslow3
kennywtelejazz
to no one in particular 
As far as who's gonna pay for what ? I more than willing to go third party at this point ...

Oh BTW ,
The is a ton of features in SONAR that mean absolutely nothing to me ... yet I happened to purchase the program and pay for them too ...

In case that is the reaction on my comment, may be you have misinterpreted it. What I thought was:
1) if there are not many users who also want the feature, the chance Cakewalk implement it is small
2) if you are ready to use third party tools, there can be something already available or that can be developed by someone, for example by me... if I understand what you want, that is possible to write and you are not going to refuse the result just because it is not from Cakewalk (money are not involved, all tools I develop for Sonar so far are free to use).

azlow3 ,
I honestly appreciate you taking the high road it means a lot to me 
I have been known to get a little hypersensitive online sometimes when people shoot down or take a very clinical approach to ideas or wishlists that are still embryonic in nature  ....
for the record I'm not saying you did that in your post ...
it just happens to be one of my defense mechanisms to vent and put a line in the sand 

In the past , here on the forum there were and have been a number of people I have outright drawn swords with ....
They found out that I'm not passive aggressive at all .  I'm straight up old school  N. Y. City  style aggressive .
That means I wont shine on / smile and stab a person in the back and pretend we are being civil while we do a little pu$$yfoot dance for show ...
It also  means that once they have been warned... I will stab that person in the front preferably in broad daylight in a public place  and look the person in the eye ...
thankfully everybody I have had run ins with are either no longer here because they have moved on , or they have been banned ....
Anyway the above may be more info then some folks need to know...i put it out there because some folks just don't get me

As far as you and I go ..... you have attempted to help me
I apologize to you if I have come off as being difficult .
I had no idea that you know a thing or two ..I certainly can respect that ...creativity is creativity in my book
My strength is as a player / musician . When it comes to computers and coding I'm well out of my league around here and I'm surprised that  Cakewalk has put up with me all these years  ....

thanks , yeah I'm interested ...

Kenny

2016/02/22 11:01:32
scook
kennywtelejazz
What you have described workflow wise is pretty much how I have been "approaching it " when I go there ....in midi ..
It seem a little counter-intuitive to have to clone everything ...not that I have a big problem with that ...

I figured as much but could not tell from the previous posts. Cloning the MID data is not really necessary, multiple tracks could be driven by a master MIDI track using a virtual MIDI cable.

Yeah, the FX chainer does not support MFX so for now the only solution is templates.
2016/02/22 13:20:35
stevec
kennywtelejazz
...Great I spend two hours coming up with my own little set up using Midi effects on a midi track and then I find out  I can't save it as a user defined Midi effects chain ...

I don't really have a need for the specifics of the OP, but this I can vote for! 

2016/02/23 09:07:48
ebibault51
I saw a professional engineer working on PT. He had a plugin that looked like GlossEQ. But in addition to this, he had a kind of solo function on each band. Then he could hear WHAT HE WAS ABOUT TO CUT. Perfect to isolate a noise that you don't want.
2016/02/23 10:49:59
ricoskyl
Kenny,

In an effort to simplify your workflow with existing tools, you might consider using take tracks for your bass, treble, melody parts after using the Midi Filter, (copy the filtered midi notes and place them in separate take tracks) this way you could move between the sections and either limit your edits to selected portion, or treat the entire track as a single entity.

[This could also be managed with MIDI patchpoint/aux feature requested elsewhere in this forum.]

For my 2 cents, I agree with you that live MIDI filtering that could be directed to distinct tracks or instruments would be useful.  I envision easy keyboard splits and range-specific audio FX.  But I think with the strengths of Sonar's current resources, both azslow3 and scook have given some very solid suggestions.

Finally, please let me know before swords are drawn so I can run away.  I'm not very fast, and I need a head start.  

2016/02/23 12:51:01
kennywtelejazz
scook
kennywtelejazz
What you have described workflow wise is pretty much how I have been "approaching it " when I go there ....in midi ..
It seem a little counter-intuitive to have to clone everything ...not that I have a big problem with that ...

I figured as much but could not tell from the previous posts. Cloning the MID data is not really necessary, multiple tracks could be driven by a master MIDI track using a virtual MIDI cable.

Yeah, the FX chainer does not support MFX so for now the only solution is templates.

scook If you happen to feel up to it , I would like  hear more about the virtual midi cable ..

stevec
kennywtelejazz
...Great I spend two hours coming up with my own little set up using Midi effects on a midi track and then I find out  I can't save it as a user defined Midi effects chain ...

I don't really have a need for the specifics of the OP, but this I can vote for! 

Steve, Yes , I thought it was odd that I could not save my own user defined midi device effects chain ....
I had gotten so used to creating my own for audio in Splat I wasn't aware of that limitation over on the Midi side of Splat ...
that needs to be a feature request

ebibault51
I saw a professional engineer working on PT. He had a plugin that looked like GlossEQ. But in addition to this, he had a kind of solo function on each band. Then he could hear WHAT HE WAS ABOUT TO CUT. Perfect to isolate a noise that you don't want.

Sure that works great for audio I'm looking to do that on the Midi end of things ....
more along the lines of being able to solo different octaves of a full spectrum / range midi performance ...

ricoskyl
Kenny,

In an effort to simplify your workflow with existing tools, you might consider using take tracks for your bass, treble, melody parts after using the Midi Filter, (copy the filtered midi notes and place them in separate take tracks) this way you could move between the sections and either limit your edits to selected portion, or treat the entire track as a single entity.

[This could also be managed with MIDI patchpoint/aux feature requested elsewhere in this forum.]

For my 2 cents, I agree with you that live MIDI filtering that could be directed to distinct tracks or instruments would be useful.  I envision easy keyboard splits and range-specific audio FX.  But I think with the strengths of Sonar's current resources, both azslow3 and scook have given some very solid suggestions.

Finally, please let me know before swords are drawn so I can run away.  I'm not very fast, and I need a head start.  

Don't worry ricoskyl ,  I'm not looking to go all Kendo on you

I may need to look into that patch point feature request you mentioned ...

As far as simplifying my workflow goes ,
I placed a Win 10 64  lap top w Splat on my kitchen table  w a 2i4 , a set of cans and monitors  ...
Then I took all my other computers both Mac and PC and stuck them in the closet ..
Yeah , that's about as simple as I've ever gotten and I'm doing that to force myself to dig deeper ...
As far as contributing members , Yeah I'm here to learn from all ...Yet, " it ain't only a one way street "
here's a little something I did in midi with my little humble SONAR woodshed rig ....
I want to be able to do more of this with an easier workflow when I work in MIDI
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3365474

Kenny

2016/02/23 13:29:48
scook
LoopBe1 and LoopMIDI are two free virtual MIDI cables I have used. I am using LoopBe1 atm. After installing the software, enable the virtual cable in SONAR MIDI device preferences. This will add the virtual cable to the I/O drop downs in MIDI and instrument tracks.

In your project add a MIDI track like normal except instead of routing the track to a synth, select the virtual cable. This track is the master used to drive other tracks. Add other MIDI/instrument tracks setting the virtual cable as the input.
2016/03/04 10:20:54
azslow3
While I still think that is not the way to go, I have promised some "3band midi EQ, with transpose and solo", so here it is

You can get it from http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,286.0.html,
the screen-short is from examples.
2016/03/08 02:59:00
kennywtelejazz
azslow3
While I still think that is not the way to go, I have promised some "3band midi EQ, with transpose and solo", so here it is

You can get it from http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,286.0.html,
the screen-short is from examples.

@ azslow3 ,

WOW , I just noticed this post of yours right now ...I get the feeling both of us have been super busy .
I released a new song on The Songs forum and a new video in Techs Forum all in the past few days so I haven't been around  .Then I see you came out with this plug
I was looking over your topic , how deep and how much will I have to learn to be able to use this ?
Is this something I can fiddle around with or do I have to learn how to program Lua ?
Just download it right now and I've been reading your thread .I hope to do a little experimenting in the next day ....

thank you

Kenny

2016/03/08 08:44:23
azslow3
kennywtelejazz
I was looking over your topic , how deep and how much will I have to learn to be able to use this ?
Is this something I can fiddle around with or do I have to learn how to program Lua ?
Just download it right now and I've been reading your thread .I hope to do a little experimenting in the next day ....

May be my topic is a bit misleading. You do not need to learn programing to use ready presets. You just install the plug-in (it has installer, no "command line" tricks), download the file with presets (from "Examples" post), install these presets using Cakewalk Plug-in Manager (in Sonar Utilities menu) and then you use each preset as a "normal" plug-in. The only difference is that you can see the code and modify it if you want, but you are no way forced to do this.

I do not think you can enjoy using this "3band MIDI EQ" any close to the level I enjoy listening your song, but installation and operations are way easier then following your tutorials for "3 chords n00b" guitar player

I was surprised the approach is in fact working, routing several piano peaces into ST3 throw this preset was a lot of fun.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account