• Computers
  • How to build a cheap but powerful gaming PC for $500
2016/09/18 16:08:02
abacab
EDIT: Maybe instead of gaming, "How to build a cheap but powerful gaming DAW PC for $500"?

This headline caught my eye. I started wondering about what you could do by re-allocating the $200 budgeted for the graphics card in this example, into something more useful for a budget DAW?  Sort of becomes "How to build a cheap but powerful PC for $300-$500", depending on what you need for a budget build.  Maybe more RAM and SSD's for that $200 ...

http://www.itworld.com/ar...utm_term=itworld_today

Think you could come up with something better for $500 or less?
2016/09/18 17:32:15
Jim Roseberry
Depends on what you consider "powerful".   

Anything reasonably current and fast, it's going to be at least $400 for the CPU and motherboard.
If you're talking socket 2011-3, a 6850k will cost well over $500... just for the CPU.
2016/09/18 17:48:54
abacab
Jim Roseberry
Depends on what you consider "powerful".   

Anything reasonably current and fast, it's going to be at least $400 for the CPU and motherboard.
If you're talking socket 2011-3, a 6850k will cost well over $500... just for the CPU.

The term "powerful" is obviously a magazine editor's idea of clickbait.

Well, some may certainly need the best. That's why you have customers  

But others may not always have the budget or the high end requirements of a pro recording studio.

So the question is really, can a "functional" budget DAW PC be assembled for under $500 total, for those with non-professional needs?  Such as a hobbyist, for which a $500 CPU may be overkill ...
2016/09/18 18:04:18
mettelus
"Gaming" often implies dedicated GPU, which a DAW does not require. Conversely, most gamers couldn't care less about an audio interface, so this is almost comparing apples to oranges.
2016/09/18 19:15:14
abacab
mettelus
"Gaming" often implies dedicated GPU, which a DAW does not require. Conversely, most gamers couldn't care less about an audio interface, so this is almost comparing apples to oranges.

In my comment, I suggested swapping the $200 budget for the gaming GPU for DAW enhancing features.  I think we could up it to 16GB memory, include an SSD, and probably even add a 2x2 USB audio interface for that other $200.  Still under $500, and apples to apples, again 

If you decide to buy a desktop computer. they usually don't include an external audio interface.  Not even boutique system builders.  The assumption I think is that audio device belongs with the budget for the rest of your outboard studio gear.

2016/09/18 22:11:37
robert_e_bone
I LITERALLY just got home from a trip to a downtown Chicago computer store I usually get parts for, and today's trip was specifically made to guide my friend through the purchase of a bunch of brand new computer components, to build him a PC suited for running Sonar Platinum in Windows 10.

We did not have to get ALL computer components - he already has a good display, and a Windows 10 license, but all told we picked up a BUNCH of parts, and built it - for less than $500.  ($497, which included tax, a couple of warranty extensions, and a giant bottle of Gatorade for me).

1) CPU A10-7870 FM2 3.9 Ghz WITH Asrock AA88B-11 motherboard - $130 (with 2 year warranty on motherboard through Microcenter) has USB 2, USB 3.1 (type C), 8 SATA ports, supports 32GB memory.
2) 16 GB memory (DDR3 2133) $59.99 though effectively $49.99 due to a $10 discount because of the CPU/MB bundle.
3) 275 GB SSD drive - $59.99 
4) 2 TB SATA III HDD 7,200 - 3-year warranty $52.99
5) 600 watt power supply $39.99 effectively $29.99 due to mail-in rebate
6) CD/DVD optical drive - $15.00
7) Nice ThermalTake case with 7 drive bays, and 4 pre-installed fans, along with support for cooling system. $39.99

I think that was about it - altogether it was just under $500.  The PC rocks nicely - not as fast as some, but plenty fast for Sonar.

Bob Bone

2016/09/18 22:55:12
abacab
Bob, I'm gonna go shopping with you next time I need parts 

A 3.9 GHz quad core CPU, integrated Radeon graphics, with a mobo for the cost of an Intel Core i3 CPU?  SMH ...

Just think, what if you already own a case, power supply, and drives that you are happy with?

You can get a cool system upgrade with a great combo deal on CPU & mobo, + memory.  That comes to $179.99 total, Gatorade not included ...
2016/09/19 21:04:42
kitekrazy1
Tom's Hardware Guide has a system builder marathon and they have one for gaming system for $500.  Most of the cost is in the video card. 
2016/09/19 21:57:03
abacab
kitekrazy1
Tom's Hardware Guide has a system builder marathon and they have one for gaming system for $500.  Most of the cost is in the video card. 

Exactly!

I was thinking, what if we took that concept and remixed it, so that the same GPU budget was used for more audio friendly options ... so then the question becomes, what is the best $500 DAW PC that you can build???
2016/09/19 22:18:01
Larry Jones
The last computer I built specifically for SONAR cost $1100 including tax, but no display (had to pay for a Win 7 license, too). It's the one in my sig, and I cut a few corners (but also added some frills, like a card reader and blu-ray drive), but it's been a solid machine for more than six years.

Good going, Bob Bone, on your build, but I abandoned AMD processors in the 80s because of test results I read in magazines, which meant an extra couple hundred bucks for an i7 in this PC. I feel like I paid in advance to avoid some frustration down the road, and so far it's been worth it
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account