• Computers
  • Sonar for Mac - Mac recommendations? (p.3)
2016/09/29 19:25:24
Rain
tlw

A single instance of Amplitube running as an AU plugin can still pretty much bring a current top end MacBook Pros (i7, 2.2GHz, 16GB RAM) to it's knees at 64 or 128 sample latency, though I suspect IK are to blame there - Amplitube stand-alone also uses much more cpu on my Macs than on similar Windows PC laptops. Nothing else seems to, just Amplitube. Fortunately I can easily live without Amplitube.

It will be interesting to see how Sonar for Macs compares.

I'd suspect IK and the most recent updates of AT. I haven't used it in a long time, but I used to use AT quite a bit when we were traveling and it ran great on my (late 2010) MBP - even in projects with lots of tracks and Virtual Instruments such as EZ/Superior.
2016/10/01 20:53:19
Sir Les
A mac Pro  2014, can it run all Older and new Mac OSes?

Is it update able?

And can it be refurbished to higher ended devices or updates to the hardware made via swap outs of the boards?

This all depends on whom you talk to....and whom is doing the Development of...marketing..and the CEO who squashes the IDEAS of Forward thinking into a corner of no way out of the old, and into the new via updates added onto?

And the videos you watch that counter the way, or not the way...To do so.

If some People will risk overclocking things...

Why is it no one wants to do the updates for...a refurbishing of what is already at hand?

Because they want you to buy the next one..or another one they make with those bells on they put at too high a price labeled....

That is what fueled the PC market...to gain over Mac....it is cheaper to have a PC and such with flexibility of options, as to the restrictions said exist..or did exist...are being hacked and those saying it cannot be, are being shown it can...And then the Bug is put in to screw it up...So, it is then redesigned...or stollen...and so sabotage is a means also to stop people from trying to do it them selves...Some say, some show, and some do have a Mac Pro 2014 updated at home, and being brave enough to try...Not sure if it works to spec...But it does void the warranty with Apple if done.

These Companies are just People with IDEAS...We are also...No one holds only PC and Apples..if Humans made these things the tech is availible to do so on your own....As all were ventures in Garages once upon a time!

Now why is it..Apple does not refurb their most recent Mac Pro 2014s to the new tech ports and such?...and give a way to put on a pci express or x16 port...Well it does have these extension things...So, you have to go to the CWA for some of that PCI box add on slot thing ...and it is expensive.

But what of the USB 3, and new thunderbolt 3?...That is a board design refurbish....which they can employ!

But they say it is not going to happen....and are at work putting this onto the new laptops...but nothing for the Pro end yet....

I am told by the apple techs, the 2014 is not able to be updated in any way...what was bought , stays as is, or replaced with same parts on warranty or under.

Yet as soon as some got the machine...They bought a higher ended cpu, took the thing apart, and put in the high end cpu for that machine....Same machine...no different power supply?...not sure.

So, how long since that video I saw of the home user doing this ?...2

and since then new ports have come out...

Now does that mean one needs to go to these new things ?
Nope....10gbps is fast enough to record and play back, and 64gb of memory is enough to hold what needs be held in it...

And is their a box one can buy with PCI ports through Thunderbolt connect? and drives or raids...Yep!...and the drives swappable?...yep!

So a Mac Pro 2014 is not dead, nor slow, nor is it limited...it can be expanded...but only through those ports on the system....or added onto via those ports....at the moment.

I got a couple of PCs of the x99 i7 5930 and 5960 type...and windows had its run of messing up my plans for too long now.

Hackingtosh sounds like a plan!

2016/10/03 10:16:37
Jim Roseberry
Sir Les
I got a couple of PCs of the x99 i7 5930 and 5960 type...and windows had its run of messing up my plans for too long now.

Hackingtosh sounds like a plan!

For entertainment and educational experience, I encourage you to give it a whirl.
As your main DAW?  Well... go thru the process... and get back to us with how you feel.  

There's no way I'd want a Hackintosh for my main studio DAW.
If you think Windows is a PITA to maintain, wait till you deal with an OS that's been hacked/patched to run on 3rd-party hardware.  Literally any update can break your current install.

A Hackintosh is a fun puzzle to solve and assemble.
Once you've done it, you'll realize it's close... but not exactly a Mac.

With any Mac, you *can* upgrade the machine to within what the existing hardware/infrastructure supports.
ie:  With the current generation iMac, you *can* rip it apart and install a 6700k Skylake.
Note that this is a royal PITA.  You have to peel off the glass screen to do so... and you (obviously) void your warranty.  You have to use double-sided tape to reattach the glass screen... and you've got one shot to get it right.

2016/10/03 11:26:25
bapu
Jim Roseberry
and you've got one shot to get it right.

Unless you pay a pro to do it?
2016/10/03 13:01:26
Fleer
If you don't need a Mac Pro, I'd go for the portability of a Macbook Pro 15" with an i7 quad processor. Its retina screen gives you ample space. Up the RAM to 16 GB and include a smallish SSD for OS stuff. Then add some Samsung T3 external ones for your samples and projects. Thunderbolt allows you to get Apogee I/O and their new Element series is quite affordable.
If you're not getting a second hand Mac, then wait a while, at least until the end of this month.
A new MacBook Pro and more are set to be announced.
2016/10/03 13:54:22
Jim Roseberry
Fleer
If you don't need a Mac Pro, I'd go for the portability of a Macbook Pro 15" with an i7 quad processor. Its retina screen gives you ample space. Up the RAM to 16 GB and include a smallish SSD for OS stuff. Then add some Samsung T3 external ones for your samples and projects. Thunderbolt allows you to get Apogee I/O and their new Element series is quite affordable.
If you're not getting a second hand Mac, then wait a while, at least until the end of this month.
A new MacBook Pro and more are set to be announced.

Right now, the latest iMac (27" with 6700k Skylake) is outperforming the $4000 Mac Pro.  
2016/10/03 13:55:02
Jim Roseberry
bapu
Jim Roseberry
and you've got one shot to get it right.

Unless you pay a pro to do it?

I've done it...
I don't like doing it.    LOL
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account