2018/05/25 17:06:25
BobF
Brando
Thanks Bob. Good advice on Save as when moving to V4. I checked the S1 forums and it looks like Presonus are resolving the license issues to give us the option to go back to 3.5. Hopefully today(?). I have fairly basic needs with respect to midi controllers - maybe from accepting ACT and its foibles. Nice to see built in support for specific controllers though. 
Understand the fanboi comment - I would likely never have tried out S1 (or Reaper, Cubase - I trialed Digital Performer a while back and quickly bailed on it) if not for Gibson's setting Cakewalk adrift. Still a soft spot in my heart and will keep up with Cakewalk updates, etc. But Studio One, despite its several limitations, sure fits well. 
Many thanks - off to install S4

I had been dabbling with Reaper off/on for years, especially during X1 and X2.  Honestly, I picked up SO3P 10 months before the Gibby announcement.  It wasn't until the announcement that I got determined to dig into Reaper for comparison with SO.
2018/05/25 17:33:15
BobF
Genghis
Interesting idea about your LX61+.  I found that the built-in support for my nektar didn't work after upgrading.  Was thinking about doing everything manually, but I configured it as a keyboard for now, as I also just picked up a used Faderport 16, so no need for the other functions any more. 

For that matter, I can't even fit the keyboard and Faderport into my current setup, so I'll have to use one or the other for a few months while I get my new studio put together.  (I'm a guitar player at heart, and have an Axon and Brian Moore guitar, so I won't suffer much without keyboards.)

I came close to getting an F8, but my keyboard sits in front of me and it's already a reach to the FP1

The FA06 just wasn't configurable enough, so I grabbed the LX61+ based on the fact that everything can be configured if need be.  So I configured a preset in the LX that has F1-8 and K1-8 sending on CH16.  I left F9 and the other buttons on the default.

The reason for this is that while any buttons mapped to commands in the global context stay the same in plug context, Control Linked controls don't.  So now I have a set that stay global (especially F9) and a set that get selected for plug context, listed as a separate device.

I just feel like I finally have all of my gear working with my software with straight-forward steps that make sense in that they do/perform exactly what I expect them to

Some day the FA will get connected as a sound module ... I actually prefer the LX keys anyway.

As far as EZK and Chord Track go, I have EZK but I haven't tried to use it combination with CT yet.  When I do, I post my experience over at BMD.
2018/05/25 18:38:23
dubdisciple
For nektar users, they sent an update email the day s1v4 was released
2018/05/25 20:22:37
Genghis
dubdisciple
For nektar users, they sent an update email the day s1v4 was released

Oh cool.  I must not get their emails, but if they have an update for the keyboard I'll check it out when I get moved into the bigger place.
2018/05/25 20:55:27
Jeff Evans
Thinking that certain features are only made for certain music genres is a bit limited in its thinking.  You can use for example Impact XT and Sample One XT for many different things and reasons from any genre, application, project or in a teaching capacity.

Think of Impact XT as a means of firing off audio files (one shots, loops, fully extended sample etc) in any possible situation.  Same applies for Sample One XT.  Both of these have had a major overhaul and been updated significantly.

It's OK to want features and certain workflows but now any DAW program's abilities are well capable and well equiped to realise any music idea from that idea to finished sound.  For those who like Studio One, the latest V4 update is awesome and has included some great things.  The whole chord track concept is off to a great start.  It can only improve.  There are some very talented and dedicated people working on the chord track in conjunction with the coders.  The uses for it are huge and wide indeed.  

There are tons of great little things in this upgrade and some other big features added as well.  (Pattern Mode, Drum Editor, AAF Import and Export, Song Data Import etc..)

I am having the fortunate experience of working with the Faderport 8 and Studio One. For those who are interested firstly as a Faderpport 1 owner myself, the FP8 is  into the stratosphere compared to the FP1.  The deep level of integration with Studio One is incredible and once you get into this the whole workflow for you changes big time.  Things are seriously fast compared to keyboard/mouse operations.  The faders allow you to edit mixes and volumes of course but also sends, and all plugin parameters for Presonus and any third party plugin.  Handling sessions of any size is a breeze.  Even if you are remotely thinking of investing into FP8 please make the decision to do it. You will not be disappointed.  It also talks to quite a few other DAW's and implementation into those has also improved.  It gets regular firmware updates with improvements and fixes too.

Having hardware for Studio One is amazing indeed.  Not to mention the amazing Series III Studio Live mixer and how it interacts also with Studio One via Universal Control software too.  Many Presonus audio interfaces are fitted with powerful DSP now and also talk to Universal Control and Studio One at the same time.  FP8/16 in conjunction with a Series III mixer, and their interfaces would also be something too.

2018/05/26 02:34:33
abacab
Well said Jeff!  I picked up Studio One 3 Pro in December for the Sonar crossgrade offer, after the announcement of Gibson ending Sonar support.  After 20 years of Cakewalk, it was hard to turn down a discount like that for another leading DAW with both strong company and community support for the forseeable future.

I was glad to see BandLab pick up the remains of Cakewalk as a long time user, but I do not regret getting into Studio One. No regrets!

This Studio One v4 update appears to show that they are actually listening to the user feature requests, and while there may be some naysayers regarding this first release, it will be interesting to see what happens with the point releases during the coming years before the next v5 release!

I am impressed that they have listened to their users, as well as seem to have a realistic understanding of where the commercial popular music market is headed.  To me that means that this DAW will be around for years to come! For better or worse, our tools need to support all genres of music and styles of production to remain successful!
2018/05/26 04:15:18
dubdisciple
Hopefully they will listen to users who are annoyed that you cannot export patterns to piano roll.  One thing Cakewalk got right was the ability to jump between views.
2018/05/26 04:48:31
Anderton
dubdisciple
Hopefully they will listen to users who are annoyed that you cannot export patterns to piano roll.  One thing Cakewalk got right was the ability to jump between views.

You can't jump between views, but you can right-click on the Pattern and choose "Convert Pattern to Part."

2018/05/26 08:33:39
Jeff Evans
Firstly working in pattern mode I think you are meant to stay there and there is certainly no reason why you cannot start and end in pattern mode.  (for certain parts that is) But as Craig says at the end of the process one can convert a pattern into a PRV part.

Another option is to duplicate the track (complete) which creates an identical track with the pattern event/s in pattern view. Then convert the duplicate to a part if you want to then. You will still have the pattern and the PRV part as well. If you really needed both.

This is only the start of pattern mode.  People seem to think it will stop there and never change.   As time goes on they will refine pattern mode I guess.  And possibly give us the option of seeing the data in any view all at once.  But it is very workable right now.  Pattern mode is great for certain genres of music that is for sure. 

2018/05/26 12:55:52
The Maillard Reaction

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account