2018/05/28 20:43:13
InstrEd
I admit I was one of those people. But in my defense, I brought up the idea of funding for staff view.
It still can be done in CbB model. Core free and add-ons we pay for. You can argue that Staff view should be considered part of the program but I think we are past that part. If we want a functioning Staff view we will have to pay for it. Funny Cakewalk Sonar users have paid $50.00 for a mug but will bicker paying for something we have asked for, for a decade or more.
my 2¢ worth.
2018/05/28 20:58:00
mettelus
That is a valid point. $50 is the cheapest you can get Notion 6, but standalone it is typically $150. Currently, it does not sync with Studio One, but they pass data back and forth. The current sync in SONAR/CbB between SV and PRV is fueling the expectations to embellish that.
2018/05/28 22:33:10
dubdisciple
InstrEd
I admit I was one of those people. But in my defense, I brought up the idea of funding for staff view.
It still can be done in CbB model. Core free and add-ons we pay for. You can argue that Staff view should be considered part of the program but I think we are past that part. If we want a functioning Staff view we will have to pay for it. Funny Cakewalk Sonar users have paid $50.00 for a mug but will bicker paying for something we have asked for, for a decade or more.
my 2¢ worth.

I think you unintentionally bring up a good point; that being that sometimes it is less risky for a company to sell an ad on of a known entity than introduce a new product. Studio one chose an add on rather than core functionality integration. Unfortunately this method was riskier for sonar in its former incarnation because customers would feel like they were getting charged for something they already were given a broken version of for free. P
2018/05/29 02:19:24
Jeff Evans
mettelus
Currently, it does not sync with Studio One, but they pass data back and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV6pGiH15jA

Ah sort of incorrect.  They can move lots back and forth and are totaly in sync!  Having a notation program this powerful attached to your DAW is rather excellent in fact.  There is a way to sequence Notion instruments from Studio One.  V4 has added deeper integration.  Notion can also listen to a live groove and conduct a Studiio One session tempo wise in real time.  That is one of its real purposes. 

The best choice for Studio One is Notion in fact. Just in the way it communicates with Studio One is enough reason to invest in it.  And it is affordable.
2018/05/29 08:33:25
mettelus
Hey Jeff, you got my hopes up, but then that video is showing what I was trying to say. I spend 95% of my time in here from my phone, so might not have clarified well (but that video does).

By "sync" (current functionality in SONAR/CbB), I mean that an edit in the Piano Roll View or Staff View will mirror itself in the other automatically. Maybe "auto-sync" would have been a better choice of words, and this is what most SONAR/CbB users are "expecting" to see upgraded in my assumption. For Studio One/Notion, this sync is a manual handoff of data, but as that video shows, it will also pass VST information with presets (also shown in that video). Unless I have missed something, an edit in one is not mirrored in the other automatically.

That said, Notion 6 unto itself is actually a standalone DAW, and a pretty capable one. Being able to load VSTis, compose with them, and pass that information into Studio One with the VSTis intact is incredibly powerful. Notion is a very lightweight application (though the sample library is several GB), so it is the only app I loaded on a laptop I bought last Christmas. I thoroughly detest laptops for certain things, and agonized over buying one, but ended up getting a Lenovo Flex 5 15.6" for its tablet conversion, screen resolution, and screen size because of this video (Notion 4 and Strokes+ on  Microsoft Surface Pro). That video shows the "on the fly composition" capability of Notion well; and when finished, can then pass the song to Studio One.
2018/05/29 10:22:14
Jeff Evans
Thanks for the info. I also meant to say deeper integration with V4 is planned. There will be some point updates. Notion is $200 AU dollars here so I might wait as well for the right time.  I have also invested in the Presonus Symphonic Orchestra for Presence XT and it too is an excellent add on.  Orchestra very nicely covered here too. Something like that working in conjunction with Notion would be great too. 
2018/05/29 18:34:49
abacab
Jeff Evans
Notion is $200 AU dollars here so I might wait as well for the right time. 

Notion crossgrade from Studio One Pro was a deal back in February for $49USD but is not currently available.  I ended up getting it for $32.47USD with an extra discount.  Total no-brainer! 

They have an on-going crossgrade deal from Finale, Sibelius, Overture, etc, for $79USD.

I have also invested in the Presonus Symphonic Orchestra for Presence XT and it too is an excellent add on.

Good to know!
2018/05/29 19:03:32
dubdisciple
Keep in mind that truly seamless experience integration between products conceived and developed by two different companies takes years. Look at adobe suite. The cool edit /audition integration took serious growing pains to get right and they still ended up alienating those who lean towards music rather than post production. The color correction acquisitions are finally working smoothly, but even that required neglecting Speedgrade to leech features to after effects and premiere. It will still be awhile before it Is on par with davinci
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account