• SONAR
  • Getting Desperate!!!
2018/10/22 02:40:41
Johnbee58
If I don't get an answer to this problem very soon I'll be destroying a less than a year old HP Windows 10 desktop PC!!!
I mean to tell you I will throw this **** out the window if I don't soon get an answer as to why this POS will not download and install CbB!!  I download, install & run Bandlab Assistant, then pick Cakewalk, and the damned thing just keeps on flashing "Downloading 0/2".

I have tried running as admin and disabling my security program.  I must have tried this at least 10 times now to no avail!!
I have CbB on my dedicated Windows 8 PC for music production with no problem.  I want it on this PC to work on music ideas in my bedroom.

Could it possibly be that I haven't run any windows updates for several months?  I got tired of them taking up my usage for an hour or more every other day only to slow my PC down more and more.  Do you think re enabling the updates would help?

If I don't get a solution by tomorrow at this time this piece of garbage will be in the trash tomorrow night at this time!  I'm serious.  This has been going on for weeks and I've had it!!

Thanks!
John B.

2018/10/22 03:06:46
michael diemer
Well, I don't have a solution as I don't use Windows 10. but I have a suggestion, if you can't get it to work: You can use the laptop for Linux. No, you can't use CbB on it, but you can learn how to use Linux, always a worthwhile thing. 

But I'm sure some Windows 10 lover here will tell you how to fix it. Of course, that assumes there are Windows 10 lovers on this forum.

Or, you can install Windows 7 or 8 on it. That might be the better solution, as you already know how to make it work on your other computer. 
2018/10/22 03:10:56
Michayl Asaph
I can try to help... if you have tried this already, forgive me, but this might work. I always open the folder where the download goes, and when it's done downloading, installation will start, but before I install, I go to C:\Users\MAsaph\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads and copy the Cakewalk installer exe and paste it in a storage folder, so I have it. I do have the installer exe which is about 600 to 700 meg and can wetransfer it to you, then you should be able to just run the installer and be up and running. I would think that this would work, I hope.... it's worth a try, if you want. Just PM me, or if you know someone else with the installer, get it and try. Let me know.
2018/10/22 05:57:21
Kev999
Assuming that the problem is only with downloading the installer rather than actually running it, you could try downloading the file onto your main computer and then copy it over to the second computer and take it from there.
2018/10/22 06:32:04
TheSteven
>"Downloading 0/2".
Could be your Bandlab download folder is corrupt or for some reason has the wrong properties.

Check to see if the folder that Bandlabs uses as the download location exists and if you have full right for that folder:
C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads

You should have full control of that folder - if not, take ownership and assign yourself full control.
You can paste the following in Windows Explorer to take you there:
%appdata%\bandlab-assistant
2018/10/22 08:59:32
Euthymia
I have had CbB installed on my second system, a Windows 10 system, from the first release back in April.

I've never had to do any special tricks to install it and get it to work on that computer, except for the same "start over, try again" things that other people seem to have run into.

I would take the counsel of TheSteven and empty out the folders that BandLab Assistant uses to download Cakewalk. You may have a corrupted download left over from when you had Windows Duh-fender turned on and it's somehow in the way.

If you haven't yet, you could even try uninstalling the BandLab assistant entirely and reinstalling it.

Another question: is the account that you normally use when you log on to your Windows 10 system an Administrator account or a Standard account? If it's a Standard account, bump it up to Administrator.
2018/10/22 10:26:17
fireberd
Its not the PC or Windows 10's fault.  I have CbB installed on my main DAW PC (Win 10) and two laptops with Win 10.  CbB is not OS version dependent so even though you don't have the latest Win 10 it will work OK.

I would do as suggested, install BandLab Assistant. RESTART THE PC (don't skip this step or the original problem can still be there) and then start over by downloading BandLab assistant and try from that. 

2018/10/22 10:31:15
Johnbee58
Euthymia

If you haven't yet, you could even try uninstalling the BandLab assistant entirely and reinstalling it.

Another question: is the account that you normally use when you log on to your Windows 10 system an Administrator account or a Standard account? If it's a Standard account, bump it up to Administrator.

Thanks all!
Re: uninstall/reinstall Assistant-I do that EVERY time.  When I run BA I choose "Run as administrator".  Are you suggesting something more?
I'm not going to destroy the PC, but my biggest fear with this is that I probably will have to replace my good ol' faithful Lenovo Win 8 with a new PC sometime in the near or distant future and if it has to be with a Win 10 machine will I encounter this?  I might consider switching to a Macbook when the time comes but I've been using Windows for more than 20 years so I'm too set in my ways to try a different format.   Also, on a new PC I would probably install CbB first so there wouldn't be much chance of corruption.  I know there are many here who successfully use Win 10 with this software.  We should see an update on CbB in the next week or two, so I might try grabbing the cakewalk.exe from "old faithful" when that happens and try moving that to the Win 10 machine.  Could somebody here refresh me on how to cop the cakewalk.exe file?  I seem to have lost that info.

Thanks!
JB
2018/10/22 11:28:01
JoseC.
Ummm...I would try running the Windows Updates first, and see what happens after that. There have been some "important" (whatever that means) updates these last months. If you have not been updating Windows, maybe you have a problem there.
2018/10/22 12:54:07
fireberd
AS it stands now, CbB is ONLY for Windows, not MAC.  If you have a MAC you must run a Windows emulator for it to work and why pay 3 or 4 times as much for a MAC and then load Windows on it.

Win 10 is actually a "better" Win 8, just as Win 7 was a "better" Vista.  
When I upgraded from Win 8.1 to  Win 10 the usable recording latency on a Roland Octa-Capture (what I had at the time) decreased from 6ms to 4ms as I could reliably run a lower buffer. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account