• SONAR
  • Getting Desperate!!! (p.5)
2018/10/24 14:06:41
frragnarsson
Few things to try.

Reset your ipstack and reboot. See https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=31480

Remove from registry, if it exists, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core
If there is anything in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment related to Bandlab/Cakewalk, delete it.

Run https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/
and https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html
but don't let them scan at the same time. If the former shows something, run it again after reboot.
Remove or disable all extensions Internet Explorer and perhaps Edge. Chrome has nothing to do with this,  but many programs that fetch files, are using Internet Explorer for that task.

Don't install 2 or more resident anti-virus programs at same time, it's a total disaster.
As far as I can see, Bytefence Anti Malware is a relatively poor product.
https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-bytefence-redirect.html

Most anti-virus products advertised on the web, are worse than Windows Defender, unless it is a reputable product, which aren't that many.

Another problem could be that it is a company computer where domain admins have given you a limited access or are using arcane policies in windows.
2018/10/24 16:04:08
stickman393
Could specific IP (i.e. BandLab servers) be blocked in your firewall? Try temporarily disabling the Windows Firewall (just for a test)
2018/10/24 16:36:19
michael diemer
Holy Moly. Maybe you better just return the damn thing, if possible. That's what I would do at this point. Then ask around here for advice on what laptop to buy. Although I do agree that reinstalling the OS is a good idea. you will get rid of all the crapware and that can only help. You should have the Windows 10 license sticker on the laptop, assuming they still do that with Win 10. You can as stated download W10 free of charge and auyhorize it with the license you already paid for. If that doesn't do it, and you can't return it, give it to your wife or kid for Christmas. And get yourself something that will work.
2018/10/24 16:52:05
trusso11783
I just downloaded it all last night. There were 5 downloads. It sat at 1/5 for a few minutes but it all went through over the next few minutes. Check your internet speed. Maybe your antivirus or firewall is blocking something. It isnt an issue with their site.
2018/10/24 16:56:27
stratman70
John-ditch Bytefence and try and download again...Bytefence is garbage......
Look it up on the web. You can always download the free version again if you must have it. I imagine all you have is the free version.
2018/10/24 17:11:17
scook
ByteFence has been reported before as a problem http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3764653

2018/10/24 18:13:13
Johnbee58
stratman70
John-ditch Bytefence and try and download again...Bytefence is garbage......
Look it up on the web. You can always download the free version again if you must have it. I imagine all you have is the free version.

Don't even know how the hell it got there.  Oh, BTW, the PC in question isn't a laptop.  It's a desktop.

JB
2018/10/24 18:20:48
eikelbijter
Is it hardwired or using WiFi?

R
2018/10/24 19:02:12
Johnbee58
eikelbijter
Is it hardwired or using WiFi?

R

WIFI-Comcast.
SUCCESS!!!!  Finally got it!!  I went into the Programs  and removed Bytefence, then grabbed a fresh install of Bandlab Assistant, then all I had to do was WAIT.  I told myself that I don't care if I have to keep the damned thing running until next Wednesday.  I'm not doing ANYTHING else with it until this mystery was solved.  Well, about 10 minutes after I started the download (and it kept flashing "Downloading 0/2) it flashed "Install Bandlab Assistant?"  I clicked OK and now it's all set.  I got the idea from the recent post where the guy said he just let it go for awhile and it eventually happened for him.  Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions!

JB
2018/10/24 19:20:17
Cactus Music
So glad you got it to work.
And just add, nothing wrong with HP, my second DAW is an off the self HP. But it has been wiped of the original OS and bloat ware, otherwise I don't think I would use it.  My main DAW I built myself and is still on W8. The HP is actually running smoother and faster.  

For a music computer to run without issues you are always best to have a nice clean install of the OS on a nice fast Hard drive.

You then only add what you need for music production.
It's become harder to achieve with W10 now being bloat ware by default.
Hardware vendors seem to think we want all that useless stuff and off the self computers need a lot more attention to get them clean. I myself don't like the idea of going in and deleting this and disabling that.... much faster and simpler to just start clean and keep it that way.  I get a lot of years out of these builds and crossing my fingers that these new fangled SSD drives will outlast the old style spinners.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account