• Songs
  • 'Shuttlingslow/The Headless Cross'
2017/07/29 15:06:18
jamesg1213
Hi all,

I might be pushing my luck with this one 'cos it's nearly 8 minutes long...

https://soundcloud.com/jyemz/shuttlingslowthe-headless-cross

This is a 2-part 'epic' describing a battle and the aftermath, inspired by chapters from 'The Weirdstone of Brisingamen' by Alan Garner. 

Bass on the first section is by Ed Kocol. Tim Wilkinson wrote the lyrics, sang and played acoustic guitar on the 2nd section. I did all the other stuff.

Thanks for any listens at all...
2017/07/29 15:50:40
Wayfarer
I didn't like the book at all, but I like your song a lot. I thought everybody played very well on it. My only suggestion is to thicken it up more in the mids if you can so that the recording quality is as good as the song. A lack of mids seems to be a problem with every other recording I listen to in this forum, which leads me to wonder if most people are using some kind of mastering plug-in that's sucking out the mids or something. Try this, open the web page for your recording, and in second web page bring up this Pat Metheny tune at YT and go back and forth between the two to compare the sound quality. Metheny's recordings and videos almost always sound as close to perfection as anyone could get. See how thick and rich and airy everything is, and try to master your recording to match it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVBoDx_1dTc
2017/07/30 10:46:25
Wookiee
I like it, both parts, nice playing James and Ed, Tim as well with that voice.  Thanks guys translate well here on the Adam's.
2017/07/30 11:49:11
Glyn Barnes
Fantastic! and not a second too long.
2017/07/30 12:33:42
jamesg1213
Wayfarer - thanks, glad you enjoyed the song, I appreciate the listen

Wookiee - thanks John, much appreciated

Glyn - I was hoping you'd notice this, thought it might appeal to you!
2017/07/30 18:08:29
kennywtelejazz
Hi James,

Wow , your song sounds very nice It is great to hear you stretching out musically ...
Love some of your synth and pad choices ....nice legato guitar solo's ... other collab mates sound good also .
Yeah, I was a little sad when it ended because I was enjoying the musical ride ... those + 7 min's went by quick .

all the best,

Kenny
2017/07/30 18:58:57
eph221
that voice at the end really has soul!  Is that you?  I liked both parts but am more partial to the second part.  I can't say how the production is, but from a compositional point of view I'd have to give two thumbs up.  Especially, both parts have prelude of sorts that eases the listener in to the meat of the song.  And also, they seem to be a good pairing,as one leads more or less to the other. :D:D 
2017/07/30 18:59:38
biodiode
Really dig this stuff, takes me back has it has nice concept album vibe about the piece. Really enjoyed this.

2017/07/30 19:11:10
jamesg1213
Kenny - thanks very much, these tracks are a few years old now but I'd never had the chance to put them together as I'd intended. Glad you enjoyed it!

David - no, that's my old friend Tim Wilkinson singing. Glad you enjoyed the composition, I used up a lot of brain cells working out the chords to get from the first section to the 2nd...

Adrian - thanks a lot, this was part of a dreaded 'concept album' I did a few years ago - can't shake off the 70's!
2017/07/30 23:28:28
skinnybones lampshade
As I commented over there: You are all really super - What a great piece of work from all involved! So much involved, and all so well and musically executed. You have my admiration.
LJ

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account