• Software
  • Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 (p.3)
2018/12/10 15:59:57
Wayfarer
I had their video NLE years ago. It was horrible. So many bugs it was ridiculous. Everybody complained to them about it but they kept coming out with new releases that never addressed the old problems. I was very upset when I heard they bought Sony Vegas. (Don't really care about Acid.) No way I'll ever buy another Magix product.

Bill
2018/12/10 16:05:41
Starise
I keep getting their sale emails to upgrade my old copy for 99.00. I think I have Acid Pro 7 on my old DAW I haven't booted up in 4 years.
I haven't jumped on that sale yet, mainly because I bought Mixcraft 8 Pro which has  programmers from Sonic Foundry on the staff. It does everything Acid does and a lot more. Doesn't seem to have a problem with formats and plugins. Mixcraft just recieved an update that was free to current users. Has great movie capability and is simple to use. 
I would still probably buy ACID for old times sake if they offered it to me of 49.95. I liked Acid. I have similar in Mixcraft. CbB  accepts  both REx and Acid loops. You can use loops and stay in Cakewalk. TBH I don't work with loops very often any more. Msorrels I am a bit deflated that the included loops in ACID aren't that great. 

Recently I needed a fast song and I didn't have much time so I decided to try building the basics of it from loops.
I had a very nice sounding 12 bar blues song in Mixcraft in less than 30 minutes. Drums, bass and rhythm guitar.
I didn't try very hard either. It was actually fun and easy to do. Same concept as ACID.
2018/12/10 17:09:14
kitekrazy1
msorrels
Does ACID 7 still work on your computer?  If it does I'd say it all boils down to how much you want to use 64bit plugins without jBridge in ACID.  They still haven't added VST3 support.  They have done a couple of updates but none that added anything (or maybe I can't remember and I can't seem to find a detailed change log).

It's not bad really, it is pretty much ACID 7 recompiled for 64bits with some bad color changes.  And I do love ACID a lot, still even today.  And no Cakewalk/SONAR/Cubase/Ableton/REAPER none of them even come close to the workflow ACID has.  They all can do the same basic things with loops sure, but not quite the way ACID does it.

They appear to be bundling it with other products now, most likely because it's not selling all that well.  At one point SF/Sony considered ACID Pro a professional level DAW.  I don't think Magix thinks of it that way.

I think you could spend the money on other things and be just as happy.  I'm certainly not using it myself even though I love how it works.

Yes it does.  If they developed a full separate piano roll this was going to be my DAW.  Acid is the only reason why I keep 32 bit plugins.  They all seem to work.
2018/12/10 17:14:28
kitekrazy1
2018/12/10 19:28:45
Bflat5
Acid was my first DAW. I was using it long before Sony bought it.
2018/12/10 23:40:31
abacab
I still have Acid Pro 6 on my computer, although it is stuck in 32-bit, just like my Cakewalk Project5.  Bummer.
2018/12/11 05:21:39
Jesse G
I still use their CD Architect 5.2 on my Windows 10 Pro computer.
2018/12/11 05:26:04
Jesse G
abacab
I still have Acid Pro 6 on my computer, although it is stuck in 32-bit, just like my Cakewalk Project5.  Bummer.

How is Project 5 working out for you and are you still able to work with it or is it too out dated for Win 10 Pro?
I still have my Project 5 Box with the DVD.  I though about pulling the DVD out and installing it but was too afraid of the outcome. 
2018/12/11 16:14:56
kennywtelejazz
I'm pretty happy so far with my experiences using Acid Pro 8 .
IMHO , The added plugs and instruments from Magix are a welcome addition to Acid Pro .
Yeah so What ...they are locked to the program ..
As far as my thoughts go , a great deal of the standard Magix plugs and instruments are much better than what people give them credit for
When I want to use them outside of Acid Pro 8 I will fire up Samplitude X 3 Suite or Samplitude X2 Standard ..

The darker GUI has some folks a little miffed . I happen to like it . It is not too far off from Cakewak by BandLab , Studio 1 Pro , Harrison Mixbus 3, 4, , 5 or Reaper ( stock GUI ) . Maybe at some point in the future it may get a few newer skins .
If that don't happen I'm still Cool w it .

Like many , I waited 10 flipping years   During that time " I let it be " .

I started with  Acid Pro 4 . Then went to Acid Music Studio 6 ,  Acid Music Studio 10 , and then to Acid Pro 7 .
When I got Acid Pro 8 I was pleasantly surprised . Even after having it for 6 months or so I'm still happy with it 

I'm more of a here and now type of guy so when I factor in all the cool stuff I have spent money on , you know all the CC Larry deals on plugins, VST  instruments , and when you also factor in and add whatever deals I have managed to scrounge the money to snag  . I have found they have a place in Acid Pro 8 .
IMHO,   The 3 rd part stuff filled in a few holes and gaps .
We all know the program itself has the potential to be pretty cool .
When you factor in the "Acid Pro workflow " and the ease of getting a new musical idea started , Acid Pro 8 may win over a few reluctant people that are on the fence ...

Kenny

2018/12/11 21:55:08
abacab
Jesse G
abacab

How is Project 5 working out for you and are you still able to work with it or is it too out dated for Win 10 Pro?
I still have my Project 5 Box with the DVD.  I though about pulling the DVD out and installing it but was too afraid of the outcome. 

P5 v2 still runs on Win 10, but...

1. you can only use 32-bit plugins. 
2. it is single threaded only, so even if you have 10 cores, it will only run on one of them. 
3. you are stuck with the 2GB RAM limitations of a 32-bit app

Other than that it still works on Win 10.  But I really haven't used it that much because of the 32-bitness.  It is something I would like to see BandLab update to 64-bit.

When you open it up, it is really hard to understand why Cake threw in the towel on it.  It was ahead of it's time.

P5 was probably better with MIDI back in those days than the competition, because it was primarily designed to be a soft synth workstation, but V2 added audio recording and the Groove Matrix.  The Groove Matrix is way better than the Matrix view in Sonar.  Something more along the lines of the Ableton Live Session View for clip launching.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account