2018/07/14 09:07:47
Bristol_Jonesey
greg54
Thanks, dmbaer!  I prefer a video, as I learn best by seeing, watching.  I'll check youtube.   

I do have a question, though.  After a track has been mixed down and exported, I know that to master it you have to then import it.   Do you add eq, compression, etc, to the Master bus or the track?  Or does it matter?

Thanks!
Greg

There is no practical reason to export & re-import.

You can just as easily master within the project.

Once you've decided what your mix needs in order to master it, just insert the plugins of your choice on the master buss, or indeed a ready made FX chain

The only caveat would be that you need a reasonably well endowed pc to cope with the extra overhead, particularly if you employ Linear Phase EQ's and/or compressors / limiters with look-ahead
2018/07/15 08:49:09
Jeff Evans
Bristol_Jonesey

There is no practical reason to export & re-import.

Yes there is and the most practical reason is after mixing for a long period of time you are no shape to master.  Your ears are fried already. You will make very poor mastering decisions.

What you do in mastering to an overall mix is quite different to what you are doing in mixing. You certainly can apply all the mastering processes to a mix while you are mixing but the best mastering engineers are actually not doing this.  And they usually ask the client either to not do anything to the mix or very slight compression is considered OK.

You should aim to get the mix sounding as great as you can without anything on the master buss.  (slight compression is actually OK and can give you an idea of what a compressed mix will sound like.) Some say the compression on a master buss can change the mix slightly. I have found from experience if the mix is really great then this applies even less.

Print your mix (without mastering applied at the time) and live with it for a week. You will be amazed at what you hear and I can guarantee you will refine it and modify it for the better. Even after that, leave it for more time and approach mastering fresh. (In the morning too after a good nights sleep) And by the way when you start mastering this way the decisions you make will be totally different to the decisions you make if you master at the time of the mix.

Great mastering is a slower process. Let go of trying to get it all done in record time. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account