• Software
  • Band in a Box 2019 out now (p.2)
2018/12/02 18:39:16
abacab
ZincTrumpet
it's also a great tool for jamming/noodling with. 

Just throwing some chords down with a style for quick backing tracks to jam or noodle with, that's pretty much what I got it for.  Haven't explored it fully, it really looks much deeper, especially with regard to putting together full arrangements in BIAB.

You mentioned that you have the everything pak, etc.  Do you find the extra content very useful, and what level would you recommend? 

I only have the Pro version with the limited number of MIDI styles, Real Tracks, etc.  Right now they have discounted upgrades for MegaPak, UltraPak, UltraPak+, and Audiophile Edition.  https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm
2018/12/02 19:40:57
mettelus
BobF
That new plug looks pretty cool.  The plug vid is using Studio One

Yeah, I actually grabbed the 2019 Pro last night, but use an Ultrawide monitor. Inside Studio One that BIAB plugin is so small it is hard to read, and SO makes it so you need to hit an exact pixel on its edge to re-size the plugin window. What I first saw was nothing like that video shows and getting there was just painful.
2018/12/02 19:55:19
LAGinz25
kitekrazy1
 For what is does would the regular version be enough?  I'm not a fan of software always trying to get you to buy addons.

Yeah, I’m wondering the same thing. What say you BIAB users? 😁
2018/12/02 19:56:29
gmon72
PG Music allows interest free 4 payment option which is pretty cool.
2018/12/02 20:26:31
ZincTrumpet
Well abacab and kk1, it's complicated! PGMusic have a sale on the launch of their yearly updates every year around this time. Which package to buy is always a commonly asked question and a tricky one because it depends on your use case.

For a start they no longer do the EverythingPak (UPDATE: PG support have now told me that the current equivalent is UltraPak+) which I bought in 2014.  That gave me every RealTrack (RT) available at the time and every year I have upgraded via the PlusPak, 49 pak (this and bonus only available when you purchase during the sale) and XtraPaks available as they are released and at all times (the new one is Xtra Pak 6). So I should have every RT except for the ones available pre 2015 as bonus/49 Paks. These cover all kinds of styles, some of which I have never used and I'm not likely to, but it also gives you a wealth of options (my BIAB 2018 currently lists 6,068 styles in stylepicker). 

You can be creative with it. For example, once I have a basic song structure in place I will try lots of different/similar styles and sometimes use particular RTs from each version, or swap out RTs used in a particular style with others. You can bring all of them into CbB and have a lot of fun mixing and matching (Realband offers similar things but I just use CbB as I know it). In CbB I will often use some BIAB, some VSTis and blend them with real instruments which I have played and vocals.

I find myself using the RTs more than the MIDI although I have had some success with the MIDI and even exporting RT based songs as MIDI (there are dependencies though). For a lot of folk it's all about the RTs.

Have a look at that table at the bottom of the packages page abacab as it shows you what is included in each version. A good place to start if you don't want every RT but want a step up from Pro would maybe be the MegaPak. If you want all the currently available RTs then you are looking at UltraPak upwards. I have never found the need for the AudioPhile version but maybe one day :) Be aware of the disk space needed for all of those RTs - my current BB folder is around 145Gb which is largely due to the RTs (it was around 110Gb when I first invested in BIAB).

I'm waffling on but hopefully this helps in some way. Also worth mentioning that there are a lot of very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly folk over on the PGMusic forums. Some of them have been using BIAB since the DOS versions so know it inside out and they helped me a lot when I got stuck.
2018/12/02 20:35:36
BobF
mettelus
BobF

Yeah, I actually grabbed the 2019 Pro last night, but use an Ultrawide monitor. Inside Studio One that BIAB plugin is so small it is hard to read, and SO makes it so you need to hit an exact pixel on its edge to re-size the plugin window. What I first saw was nothing like that video shows and getting there was just painful.

Is your display scaled?  4K?  Dimensions?

2018/12/02 21:40:27
abacab
ZincTrumpet

I find myself using the RTs more than the MIDI although I have had some success with the MIDI and even exporting RT based songs as MIDI (there are dependencies though). For a lot of folk it's all about the RTs.

Have a look at that table at the bottom of the packages page abacab as it shows you what is included in each version. A good place to start if you don't want every RT but want a step up from Pro would maybe be the MegaPak. If you want all the currently available RTs then you are looking at UltraPak upwards.

That's helpful ZT, and after having a look through what all the Mega Pak upgrade contains, that looks like a nice bump up to the max MIDI styles side of BIAB.

I'm not sure I would need or use most of the Real Tracks, although some do sound very good!  And I am sure they would be fun! 

But I am comfortable working mostly with MIDI instruments elsewhere.  However, I did notice that a large percentage of Real Tracks are guitar tracks, so if you work with a lot of guitar based music, that might be handy!  Plus I will have to say that MIDI has not really replaced the real guitarist yet! 
2018/12/02 22:01:26
mettelus
BobF
mettelus
BobF

Is your display scaled?  4K?  Dimensions?

Just checked to make sure, and is not scaled (100%), 2560x1080, and 34" wide. This is actually fairly common issue if resizing is scripted into a program vs. governed by Windows. Iobit's ASC software (not-resizable) is based on 1/2 of the screen width, so after getting the ultrawide... BAM!... the application now takes up all but 2" of the vertical height. Fonts don't seem to be adjusted, but the spacing between components sure is.

Just checked, and the BAIB plugin can be resized in SO4 by click-dragging anywhere in that cross-hatched lower right corner, even without a resize cursor viewable (yay). And after resizing the BIAB plugin the first time it instantiates at roughly 600x500 consistently on insertion. Slightly less than 1/4 the width and 1/2 height of my screen.

[Edited the bold above, typo on my part!]
2018/12/02 22:32:57
abacab
mettelus

Just checked, and the BAIB plugin can be resized in SO4 by click-dragging anywhere in that cross-hatched lower right corner, even without a resize cursor viewable (yay). And after resizing the BIAB plugin the first time it instantiates at roughly 600x900 consistently on insertion.

Thanks for that info!  Perfect!
2018/12/02 22:42:42
mettelus
Eesh, typo on my part, that should be 600x500 (slightly less than 1/4 width, and 1/2 height of my screen)! Even making it bigger and saving a project with a large size will not make it instantiate any bigger than that, but is better than it was.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account