2016/03/11 05:18:08
Steve_Karl
We need be able to lock musical data to markers and or SMPTE to be considered a professional scoring tool.

Even better might be an optional individual button on every track folder to lock everything in that folder to SMPTE.

If it worked like that we could compose and manipulate tempo in the project and then once that section is finished
add it to a folder than is locked or create a new folder and lock it, or if the tracks are already in a folder, lock that folder.

Then go back to the next section changing tempo when necessary without any destruction to our previous work.
Just locking clips would be a big help but locking folders would be even better, faster, and (drum roll) exclusive to Sonar.

Think of it as setting a flag on folder that locks (or unlocks if needed) the contents of the folder.
Then ...
Hide it in the Inspector so it's not easy to trip on and off.

I've got work around options but I'd rather stay in Sonar and do the whole score
without any non professional annoyances.

Thank you!
2016/03/11 12:05:11
Paul P

There have been requests to lock things to markers with the wish that you could then move everything tied to a marker by just moving the marker.

You seem to want to just lock something in place so it won't move, which is probably a lot easier to implement.
I myself don't have much of a need for this by itself (I don't do scoring), but if things also move with the marker when it's moved, then I like the idea.
2016/03/11 14:53:58
Steve_Karl
You say "in place"
but I don't believe you understand the difference between bar lines:beats:minutes:seconds ... and real time SMPTE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_timecode

Markers are currently able to be locked to SMPTE which is very good.
That locking means they will stay locked to that exact frame (*^* almost) of the film,
and always be in the same place relative to the video footage.
They don't move when they're locked, but they can be unlocked, moved, and then relocked to
a different 'real time' SMPTE location.
---
*IF* the only thing that was added is that clips could be locked to a *locked marker*, and then
those locked to marker clips *also* stay locked to SMPTE I'd be over joyed and I'd bet thousands of other would be also, and Sonar would enter the world of *Professional Tools for Film Score* and also increase sales.
---
Currently (in X3), clips *can* be locked and made unmoveable
(and unlocked again  and moved on the time line that is,
relative to measures:beats:minutes:seconds.

Currently when we lock a clip it stays locked, but it's just 'idiot proofing'
and useless when it comes to scoring to footage because it's locked to the time line, not to the footage(SMPTE)

The problem is that when we instert tempo changes,
the bar lines move, relative to the real world SMPTE time (the imported video)
and whether a clip is locked to the time line or not, is irrelevant,
because the clips moves with the bar lines, and the video footage doesn't move.

That's the bottom line ...

***the clips moves with the bar lines when any tempo is inserted or changed
and the video footage doesn't move***

And very simply stated ...
We need the option to lock (and unlock or course) clips to SMPTE.

(*^*)
In addition, currently, the resolution of motion of a marker is not detailed enough.
It can be moved by 1 tick ... but not by 1 frame.
That resolution also needs to be at the level of 1 frame. (clips also please)

2016/03/11 20:30:07
Paul P
Steve_Karl
You say "in place"
but I don't believe you understand the difference between bar lines:beats:minutes:seconds ... and real time SMPTE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_timecode

You're right on that.  What a nightmare .  Now I know where the 29.97 frame rate came from.

Your requirement doesn't seem too far away from what others want from markers.  The minute you can tie clips to markers, which is what you want, it shouldn't be a big deal to have them follow the marker if it's moved, which is what others want (for song section arrangement).

Thanks for taking the time to explain in more detail.  I'm in no position to help you, but hopefully the powers that be are listening and will take your request under consideration.
2016/03/12 03:56:09
Steve_Karl
Thanks Paul P
and you're welcome.
Just talking about it helps make the squeeky whell more obvious!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account