2016/09/10 07:33:07
Enzstudios
Thanks again for your replies
I rather use (Old School Approach) a separate video card so not to use the system ram, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ia m still undecided as to use the Mother Board I have picked I don't think anyone has use it for a DAW system yet  ASRock Z170 Extreme4
2016/09/10 11:49:06
robert_e_bone
For whatever the worth, I have an SSD as a primary drive, and it is only 120 GB, and contains only:

OS - Windows 10
Stand-alone Application Programs and Plugins
Hidden folders AppData and ProgramData

The SSD C: drive is only about half full, as I had moved off all application content and user folders to different drives.

So, my 120 GB SSD is plenty big enough, and a new one of those can be obtained for less than $40 usd.  A 240 GB SSD drive can now be obtained for less than $60 usd.  I wouldn't waste the money for anything larger than a 240 GB SSD drive to be used as a primary drive.  I would suggest you would be better off putting that money into one or more additional data drives.

I altered the Location tabs for all of my user folders (documents, pictures, music, etc), to a different HDD (non-SSD), and have Cakewalk Projects, Sample Libraries, etc., split among multiple data drives.

Bob Bone

2016/09/10 21:00:37
Kev999
robert_e_bone
For whatever the worth, I have an SSD as a primary drive, and it is only 120 GB, and contains only:

OS - Windows 10
Stand-alone Application Programs and Plugins
Hidden folders AppData and ProgramData

The SSD C: drive is only about half full, as I had moved off all application content and user folders to different drives.

So, my 120 GB SSD is plenty big enough, and a new one of those can be obtained for less than $40 usd.  A 240 GB SSD drive can now be obtained for less than $60 usd.  I wouldn't waste the money for anything larger than a 240 GB SSD drive to be used as a primary drive.  I would suggest you would be better off putting that money into one or more additional data drives.

I altered the Location tabs for all of my user folders (documents, pictures, music, etc), to a different HDD (non-SSD), and have Cakewalk Projects, Sample Libraries, etc., split among multiple data drives.

I agree 100%.

My new o/s drive is a 120GB SSD (actually only 111GB) and it's less than one third full (and that's with 6 separate versions of Sonar installed). I have 2 more similar SSDs for multisamples and for current projects. Everything else that is not part of the music recording/editing/mixing process is stored on traditional HDDs.
2016/09/12 12:03:53
Mesh
I'm also interested in the ASRock Z170 Extreme4 MB (helping out my nephew in building a gaming PC)....the reviews look good, but would like to know from actual users. I'll check around some PC/build forums as well and post back...
2016/09/12 19:50:17
Enzstudios
Thanks much appreciated

I agree with those that say 500gig C-Drive is a bit of an over kill only if one takes the time to configure Folders etc... onto Other Hard Drives

Thanks Again :) 
2016/09/13 06:10:25
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
if you are worried about fan noise etc. the cheapest and most effective solution is to drill a hole in the wall, put the DAW in the other room, stick all USB and HDMI cables through the hole and fill the hole with foam or acoustic insulation ... unless it is a super silent all passive DAW, I would not even want it in the control room; it's just too annoying ...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account