• Computers
  • SOLVED Can't install anything since last Win 10 update
2016/09/16 18:08:11
pentimentosound
I was thinking that there was something wrong with my iZotope Neutrino download, till I tried to install some other stuff.
Nothing happens for a long time, when I try to "run as admin", then I get a message saying "The service failed to respond in a timely manner".  I can't seem to defrag it, either. I thought that might help.

I did just get an update from Windows 10, so I suppose MS is to blame.... LOL
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Michael
2016/09/17 06:54:28
fireberd
I have all the Win 10 updates and the Neutrino installed without problems. 

Trying Neutrino, on a bass track, a vocal track and a guitar track and moving the two controls from one end to the other I heard no differences.
2016/09/17 09:06:56
pentimentosound
Thanks fireberd      My latest update didn't install properly and I spent 2 hours last night with MS Support trying to sort it. I gave up and went to bed! LOL Maybe today, but it's not Neutrino. I can't run any exe, nor defrag and who knows what else!?!?!
2016/09/17 13:44:12
pentimentosound
Just got back home and my desktop seems to be doing better. I am actually defragging it now and that seems a relief.
I also installed Neutrino and will check it out in a bit.

So, maybe I'm good to go....
Michael
2016/09/17 15:53:43
fireberd
I was going to suggest a System Restore point before the update (if you have System Restore activated).  I don't know that defrag will fix anything as that is not for OS problems.

2016/09/17 16:03:20
pentimentosound
Thanks.
Things are working now. I am much more hopeful and do have an MS Support Reference # which I may follow up on depending on how things are or continue to work. I did set a restore point today and wonder if I had any earlier ones, since I have had System Restore on. I don't know how to check on that, yet.

Neutrino seems to be working and I have some other things to install, so we'll see.
2016/09/18 09:28:49
pentimentosound
Though I haven't checked which build of Windows 10 I have, the update must have re-updated and that worked, apparently. LOL
Everything "that I noticed", is now as it should be. So, I suppose I'm good to go.........
I've set a restore point and will make an image backup, too.
Michael
2016/09/18 10:49:38
Cactus Music
This brings up the topic of posibly shutting down windows update once you have your DAW working perfectly. I unplug mine ( LAN) after I update Sonar.  My office computer has been totally messed up 3 times this summer.
It returns to the default preferences which I hate. I just spent 20 minutes last nigh re setting my preferances,, you shouldn't have to do that.   Our Laptop at work has lost the DVD drive and Lenovo support thinks the drive might have been un installed during an automatic update. I'll have to do a restore I guess. 
2016/09/18 11:38:10
pentimentosound
I was thinking about that myself, John and am hoping the image and restore point (if I can keep them fresh and up to date!)will save me some grief.

Michael
2016/09/18 13:28:28
fireberd
I had two desktops (one is gone) and a laptop.  Both are on Win 10 and no problems with updates or Sonar (or any other software or hardware).  I see some people with various problems on the Windows 10 forum   www.tenforums.com   but that is only a small number as the majority do not have problems.  I just worked a problem on there of a user with (DPC) latency problems and getting pops and clicks in audio.  As it turned out the PC (laptop) he upgraded was originally designed for Windows XP and had been upgraded to Win 7 and then Win 10 and a Win 10 incompatible Wi-Fi adapter.  Another "self inflicted" problem, the user should have installed a 32 bit OS but had Win 10 64 bit installed with only 4GB of RAM. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account