• SONAR
  • Delay starting when pressing play SOLVED or at least a workaround (p.2)
2018/10/19 13:03:13
mettelus
^^^^ "Full orchestra" that is being streamed from an HDD requires the samples to be read from disk in order to fill the initial buffer. That disk read can be intensive with enough instruments going on. SONAR will not start playback until that buffer is ready. Once running, SONAR anticipates what is coming and reads samples continuously for fluid playback.

Have you checked your disk usage when doing this? There are some lightweight monitoring apps to monitor system performance, and it is probable that your disk is spiking to high % usage from that initial read if samples are on an HDD.

AFAIK, Kontakt/SONAR do not pull samples into RAM on loading, but some VSTis do.
2018/10/26 20:29:01
JJ9
rcklln
JJ9

Does anyone else have this problem?

I've run across this when my project track count got very high when using standard HDs. Have not had this happen on SSDs.

I've SSD's (sounds bad)! :)

mettelus
^^^^ "Full orchestra" that is being streamed from an HDD requires the samples to be read from disk in order to fill the initial buffer. That disk read can be intensive with enough instruments going on. SONAR will not start playback until that buffer is ready. Once running, SONAR anticipates what is coming and reads samples continuously for fluid playback.

Have you checked your disk usage when doing this? There are some lightweight monitoring apps to monitor system performance, and it is probable that your disk is spiking to high % usage from that initial read if samples are on an HDD.

AFAIK, Kontakt/SONAR do not pull samples into RAM on loading, but some VSTis do.

Samples on SSD ...funnily enough old DAW had HDD and everything worked fine...new DAW with SSD now has this problem

southpaw3473
Do you have any look-ahead or linear phase plugins in the project? That will cause a delay.

Not that I know of...just using virtual instruments.....even without any recording it is enough to cause the delay on playback (even though nothing there)
promidi
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your audio interface drivers (maybe make sure you have the latest versions while you're at it). 

Also try exiting Splat, renaming your AUD.ini file then restart Splat so Splat can rebuild your AUD.INI file

That's in %APPDATA%\cakewalk\SONAR Platinum

Also, is core parking turned off?

Ah....where would I check about the core parking? Thanks

2018/10/26 21:24:09
chuckebaby
Have you tried adjusting your buffer size ?
If the Buffer Size slider is grayed out an you cannot adjust it, it is because you are using ASIO drivers.
In that case open up your devise and go to your Focusrite Latency slider and try bringing it up.

A buddy of mine on this forum (Rod) has been having a similar issue with Focusrite firewire devices.
Im not sure even solved his issue. His problem seemed to be related to "Device Not Migrated" in Device Manager.
you may want to check that out.
2018/10/26 22:01:07
Bristol_Jonesey
Are you samples stored on the same SSD as the OS?
2018/10/26 22:09:50
joakes
chuckebaby
Have you tried adjusting your buffer size ?
If the Buffer Size slider is grayed out an you cannot adjust it, it is because you are using ASIO drivers.
In that case open up your devise and go to your Focusrite Latency slider and try bringing it up.

A buddy of mine on this forum (Rod) has been having a similar issue with Focusrite firewire devices.
Im not sure even solved his issue. His problem seemed to be related to "Device Not Migrated" in Device Manager.
you may want to check that out.

That “Device not Migrated” is a Windows problem after an update. Its also not exclusive F/W.

The only way i know of curing it is a complete uninstall of audio drivers and a fresh install. It hosed my Boss GT 100 drivers so much that i couln’t get Boss Tone Lab to open or recognise the USB connection.

MS did however fix this in a subsequent update, my unit is ok now, so tell your friend to,make sure he is up to scratch on all Windows Updates.

Otherwise Google will be able to sort him out.

Good luck to your mate, its a beast to get rid of.

Jerry
2018/10/26 23:39:54
rodreb
I have the same problem and have not been able to get it figured out yet. I am working on it with Mike from BandLab/Cakewalk support for the last couple weeks but, so far, no answers.
2018/10/27 09:39:38
martins guit
are you using ASIO-driver-mode?
2018/10/28 14:45:10
JJ9
Bristol_Jonesey
Are you samples stored on the same SSD as the OS?

No, seperate SSD for samples
martins guit
are you using ASIO-driver-mode?

Yes, ASIO driver mode
rodreb
I have the same problem and have not been able to get it figured out yet. I am working on it with Mike from BandLab/Cakewalk support for the last couple weeks but, so far, no answers.

Interesting, I think its Mike that is also trying to help get this resolved. I sent a couple of projects for him to look at.
2018/10/28 20:23:25
JJ9
OK.....I found  a post from 2015
"Try turning off "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" in preferences."

this seems to have fixed the problem (but obviously can't use the feature)

Have let the tech guys know....what a relief!
2018/10/28 20:56:36
scook
Sounds familiar. It may be one of the reason the setting exists in preferences. It could also be that one or both of the options nested below "Allow arm changes..." are the real culprit. I do not have a focusrite interface to test but now that it appears to be narrowed down to this feature, it should be an easy test to see which combination is the problem.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account