2016/08/22 02:21:16
80ssequencin
Is anyone running this on their desktop? I have the OEM 1TB HDD for general use (Win8.1) that I also plan on shrinking down for 1 or 2 data partitions along side the active one. I've added a Sam 500 GB SSD for my main DAW. I have it partitioned for a second data part for libraries. Now, I'd like to add a third drive for another OS as a "test" DAW. This I plan for Vst's and demos that I may not want to ad to the SSD main Daw. More of a mess around space. This way I don't clog up my main DAW space with too much and keep it leaner with hopefully less chance of problems/ conflicts also. BTW, my PC is a Dell i7 4th gen. Thanks
2016/08/22 08:34:55
BobF
Wish I could offer something ... I've always used either multiple partitions on a single OS drive or Virtual Machines when performance is not a concern.

2016/08/22 13:05:20
Sixfinger
I've run a dual boot setup for years, two drives for OS systems. In the BIOS you select the boot priority. Whatever is first boots up when you do nothing, and if I tap the F12 key while booting I can then select the boot drive.

Mostly I did this as I transitioned from XP to Win 7, then again from Win 7 to Win 10 with a clean install.
Very useful as sometimes for old projects I have to go back to the old OS to check what patch I may have used on Amplitube, or Dim Pro etc...

A Life saver actually!
2016/08/22 23:13:29
80ssequencin
Thanks, BobF I used to do the multiple partitions too. But on this new machine with my setup, I couldn't get it to work. Used to be easy with XP! I like the VM idea, but the VM's don't support FireWire and I don't want to give up my Tascam interface/control surface. For the same reason I don't use W10, as I can't get 10 to work with the Tascam. (W7 and 8.1 work with known workarounds.) But as far as a VM, I had one working a little while back as a test inside of W7Pro or 8.1, cant recall. I may try that again and pick up a cheap USB interface for the audio. This to run Xp for any incompatible 32 bit VST's I may want to play with.
2016/08/22 23:17:25
80ssequencin
Sixfinger, that sounds like another good reason for a dual boot.... My dual boot is working fine right now. But I'm afraid to ad another boot drive, with all the problems I've had in the past. Ha!
2016/08/27 04:56:40
BrFrBob
Have you looked into NeoSmart's EasyBCD or some of the other boot loaders?  I'm running 3 OS's on 3 drives much the same as you.  The initial start up screen lets me choose which os to boot from and I can even change the names on the menu, such as Sonar 32, Sonar 64, etc.  Like Sixfinger, I sometimes need to check presets in plug ins on a 32 bit system that don't carry over to 64 bit.
2016/08/27 06:53:00
fireberd
I have a Triple Boot, each on a separate drive.  Win 10 Pro, Win 7, Win 10 Preview.  Win 10 Pro is my default when booting, but if I want one of the others I can select it at boot up.
2016/08/28 22:21:38
80ssequencin
Thanks, guys......
firebird........Are you using the native Win boot menu? I'm a bit nervous to ad in the 3rd drive now that my other two are already up and running and listed in the boot menu. In other words, did you have each drive plugged in at the same time, at your first boot up with this configuration?
  Hope that makes sense

BrFrBob.......I thought Easy BCD could only boot 2 drives? I still don't see any mention of more than that on their site. But hey, you said you've got 3 runnin'! I see they have a free home edition. Hopefully that will work if I decide to go with a bootloader app  :)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account