• Computers
  • I think I am about fed up with MS and Windows.
2016/08/23 15:04:59
jbow
I spent most of the day trying to get one of my email accounts to work again after the anniversary update. I managed to get it non working on both my computer and my phone before finally getting it fixed. I had to go to imap. As soon as that was done I got a popup telling me "We have turned on Windows Defender because your (AV) does not work with this version of W-10) or something like that... finally I got the option to update my AV. This is on my laptop. I never thought I would be considering a MacBook but I seriously am. Now if I can figure out a way to update Sonar and VSTs on my DAW without MS downloading something when I do and installing it when I reboot. I wish I had stayed with W-8.1 right now. I like things to work. I don't need changes that I don't understand, that take me a half day to fix because MS decided to change something. I never had these problems with W-7 or with 8.1. I am NOT happy. Maybe once Cakewalk gets Sonar for Mac running up to speed I'll leave ALL MS behind.
I don't need this crap.
Sorry for the rant. I swear, I feel like I'm trembling. I'm not but I have that feeling. Stress I guess.

Count me out as soon as I can get out. Since my wife updated her office computers to W-10 she has problems with different programs and she is completely a push the buttons/turn the knobs girl. She just gets frustrated... then I hear all about it. My business software would not run for her today. I have no idea if MS is rebooting her computers during the night and messing with her offsite backup and I'm not asking her...
Is it just me? I am not an ex-programmer. I am an end user who learned a lot about removing malware when I had XP, lol. Not a problem anymore. I have not had to fix things this much since XP. W-10 seems better in some ways but when it isn't better I feel like I'm back on XP... Googling, trying to figure out how to make things work again.
My iPhone just works. Everything on it works unless I mess something up, like today with Hotmail because of MS. Maybe a MacBook will just work. .. but seriously, is it just me or is MS causing problems for you?

!!!!!!!

Julien
2016/08/23 16:01:29
bapu
MS and Windows (3.1 through 10, minus Vista) has always just worked for me. Even when I ran my own Exchange and IIS web servers at home.

iDon't iXxxx anything. My Samsung Galaxy 5 and now 6 just work for me too.
2016/08/23 16:46:35
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, Apple has issues too.
El Capitan release caused a LOT of headaches for Mac audio folks.
Some of which are still being ironed out... months later

2016/08/23 17:15:30
jbow
Jim Roseberry

Yes, someone else told me that. I was really aggravated. I'm calmed down a little now. I guess I'll think it over.
My first thought was that someone had taken over my Hotmail account and I ended up adding another HM with W-Live Mail, then somehow reset my MS password. Of course then no email would work on my phone (or computer). I finally sorted it out but dang, it would be nice if MS would send out a notice about things like this. Maybe I need a new email client. I'll look to see if Thunderbird is still around. I don't want to have to use imap, rather use POP but I don't use HM for very much anyway. The older I get, the harder changes are. I guess I was an analog man for too long. To much change in my world... this is just one thing. Today's "last straw". Better now. Thanks for the info, for the reply.
J
2016/08/23 20:49:25
kitekrazy1
Jim Roseberry

You see it quite a bit if you go to cross platform DAW forums.
 Biggest difference between MS and Mac:
 MS attempts to keep legacy devices running.
 Apple makes legacy devices obsolete.

If I went Mac all of my M-Audio gear becomes doorstops.
 I'm also seeing more custom built desktop users switching to PC because of price.

Also there have been reports of iPads bricked because of the latest iOS updates.

2016/08/23 23:04:12
timidi
I like my MacbookPro. It just works. The only nag I get is a periodic flash update.

Actually my favorite thing about Macs and why I might go full Mac (PC is currently my Daw) is the trackpad and no mouse. Swiping fader mixing views and scrolling are so much more intuitive and comfortable than the Msft alternatives.
Moving around Studio One on a Mac is like a Gazelle. Where S1 on the PC (mouse) is like a turtle.

2016/08/24 07:54:15
tlw
The "bricked" iPad problem only affected a very small proportion of them and was easily sorted out. The internet rumour mill made a much bigger thing out of it than it actually was.

It has to be said that Apple's Core Audio and Core MIDI do pretty much "just work" and OS X, being Unix derived, is much less hassle to deal with than modern Windows. When you tell it not to do something it doesn't then go and switch it on again behind your back without telling you. Unlike Windows 10.

There were a few issues with El Capitan on launch, mostly caused by a few hardware manufacturers not updating their drivers despite many months of warnings and pre-release developer versions being available. The only one that affected me was MOTU who took a week to get a working USB3 MIDI interface driver out.

A lot of older hardware will work on Macs because if it's class compliant it doesn't need a manufacturer-supplied driver. As for old stuff working with Windows, I've seen a succession of M-Audio products left to wait for years for a working Win Vista, then 7, then 8 driver. Which doesn't work properly when it finally gets released. Which is why I won't buy any M-Audio products any more.

Having loaded Win10 to take a long hard look at it, I have no desire or intention to use it.

The big downside of Macs is cost, and they tend to have less brute power than a similar priced PC. On the other hand, OS X seems to make fewer demands than Windows and requires no special tweaking to use as a DAW. Mrs TLW has a work-supplied i5 laptop PC with 4GB of RAM and Windows 7. Her base-model Macbook Air (i5 4GB RAM) is far smoother and snappier.

And no Sonar for Macs. Yet. Logic's cheap and OK but frustrating in some ways, and the supplied plugins are mostly not as good as SPlat's so there's more of a need for third party plugins. At least, that's what I've found, others may disagree.
2016/08/24 12:16:52
Jim Roseberry
timidi
I like my MacbookPro. It just works. The only nag I get is a periodic flash update.

Actually my favorite thing about Macs and why I might go full Mac (PC is currently my Daw) is the trackpad and no mouse. Swiping fader mixing views and scrolling are so much more intuitive and comfortable than the Msft alternatives.
Moving around Studio One on a Mac is like a Gazelle. Where S1 on the PC (mouse) is like a turtle.

I'm glad you like glide-points...
FWIW, I can't stand them.   
You *can* get a glide-point for your PC... and use that instead of a mouse.

If you like swiping for making mix changes/etc, you might want to checkout one of the nicer multi-touch monitors.
That'll allow you to make multiple changes simultaneously.
2016/08/24 12:24:22
Jim Roseberry
kitekrazy1
You see it quite a bit if you go to cross platform DAW forums.
 Biggest difference between MS and Mac:
 MS attempts to keep legacy devices running.
 Apple makes legacy devices obsolete.

Agreed...

PCIe slots?
No phase out... just completely eliminated with the Cylinder Mac Pro.
So... you have to not only replace your computer, you have to replace all peripherals.
Thunderbolt peripherals aren't cheap.

All project/data drives now have to be external.  
A 1TB Thunderbolt external drive is ~$200.

2016/08/24 13:29:51
dcumpian
Jim Roseberry
timidi

I'm glad you like glide-points...
FWIW, I can't stand them.   
You *can* get a glide-point for your PC... and use that instead of a mouse.

If you like swiping for making mix changes/etc, you might want to checkout one of the nicer multi-touch monitors.
That'll allow you to make multiple changes simultaneously.

Frankly, my best investment in better mixing was a giant trackball from Kensington. With one click, I can lock the trackball to the fader (or any other control) and ride the ball with my fingertips. Really great control that way.

Dan

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account