• Computers
  • Windows 10 start menu died - resolved with Anniv. update (p.2)
2016/08/24 14:48:04
Jim Roseberry
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Not that I recall.  I had hidden Cortana and turned off OneDrive.  Those actions may have been a factor. 

FWIW, I do those things regularly (with many different builds).
Thus far, they've not resulted in broken Start Menu.

We had one client where this happened (shortly after he uninstalled some apps that were pinned to the Start Menu).
We created a new User Account... then deleted the original.
2016/08/24 15:02:07
pwalpwal
Jim Roseberry

good idea if there's no user data to save, tho docs and such can be copied easily
another idea if you're mid-anniversary-update, let that finish, then update the **** out of that, maybe it'll come back... maybe...
good luck!
2016/08/24 15:56:07
pwalpwal
Jim Roseberry

good idea if there's no user data to save, tho docs and such can be copied easily
another idea if you're mid-anniversary-update, let that finish, then update the **** out of that, maybe it'll come back... maybe...
good luck!

Anniversary update is now installed and the start menu is back!
Did take about an hour to update, but it finally finished.

Keith
2016/08/24 16:52:07
abacab
I have disabled Cortana and One Drive, plus turned off and uninstalled as many of the live tiles as possible.  No problems here.

Since the sfc /scannow test found corrupt files and could not repair them, there are apparently corrupt system files on your PC.

If it were my computer, i would do this next:
1. Locate a recent system restore point and try rolling back to that.
2. If no functional restore point is available or the restore did not fix the problem, I would shoot for a "refresh" of Windows 10.  The first level only resets system files, and leaves your programs and data.  This can be accessed from within a running copy of Windows, or from a Windows recovery disk (or drive).
http://www.tenforums.com/...resh-windows-10-a.html
2016/08/24 16:54:05
abacab

Anniversary update is now installed and the start menu is back!
Did take about an hour to update, but it finally finished.

Keith

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!  The Windows Anniversary update is like a re-install of Windows, so apparently it replaced all of those broken files for you!
2016/08/31 09:20:21
Lord Tim
Aha! Yep, this happened to me too, and none of the usual fixes worked either. Anniversary update it is!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account