2016/08/27 10:24:44
Primetime
Hi all,
I have a 10 yr old computer thats still running great, no problems...I had to replace my "C" drive about a year ago, but other than that it's been rock solid with Splat...
My question is, how often would you guys recommend upgrading a computer?
Or do you guys run it till it breaks?
Thanks..
2016/08/27 10:58:02
Cactus Music
A home built computer, you just keep adding better components as money allows, cases last a long time. A 10 year old processor? sounds like that's way over due.
2016/08/27 14:53:48
Sycraft
Really depends on what you are doing. Personally? I upgrade mine continuously. Whenever new toys come out I want, I gets. Videocards I do the most, but I tend to do a new core (motherboard, CPU, RAM) every 3 years. But that's because I a geek and love having high end computer toys.

For a general user that doesn't really want to think about it and decide based on performance or whatnot I just say "5 years." Get a computer with a 5 year warranty, and replace it when the warranty expires. You may not need one that often, but it means there shouldn't be any issues (since if there's a break it gets fixed under warranty) and makes planning simple.
2016/08/27 16:03:28
Primetime
Thanks for the input guys!!
2016/08/28 04:39:49
Vastman
Only upgraded to SSD's as my 4930 still rocks wickedly...

However, am also going to upgrade to a mobility platform and find THIS to be truly irresistible...
or maybe this which gets me the quad core and 24GB ram, sacrificing Thunderbolt and touchscreen...

tough choice...

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account