• Software
  • Steinberg - VST 2 development ends
2018/05/17 06:58:34
Pragi
Steinberg announces that it will no longer continue to develop and maintain the VST 2 software interface but focus efforts entirely on the Software Development Kit, or SDK, development of VST 3.

Steinberg's host applications, such as Cubase, Nuendo and WaveLab, will continue to support VST 2, but the SDK for VST 2 will be made unavailable by the end of this year.

The VST 3 development kit not only generates VST 3 plug-ins, but also is capable of rendering to VST 2 and AU formats.
https://www.steinberg.net...lopment-ends-2504.html
2018/05/17 08:51:19
azslow3
You have overseen the date of the announcement in the link, that was year 2013
2018/05/17 09:56:41
TheSteven
azslow3

???

Announcement made: May 16, 2018

2018/05/17 10:03:53
TheSteven
from Steinberg website:
https://www.steinberg.net...ng-to-an-end-4727.html

VST 2 coming to an end

May 16, 2018

Late 2013 we announced that the Software Development Kit (SDK) for VST 2 would no longer be maintained and would only be available as subset of the VST 3 SDK. Five years down the line and this transitional phase is now also coming to an end.

From October 2018 onward we are closing down the second version of VST for good. While the  VST 2 SDK has been unavailable, and so have maintenance and technical support, the subset within the VST 3 SDK will also be omitted.

VST 2 compatibility with Steinberg VST hosts will remain, however, we recommend to root for the latest version of VST. VST 2 was introduced in 1999 and since then the technology has evolved dramatically. Since 2008, the SDK for the third iteration of VST, VST 3, has been available and since then efforts are focused entirely on the further development of VST 3.

“We appreciate that developers and users alike gravitate strongly toward the VST 3 interface that comes with many technological advancements. By bidding farewell to VST 2, we hope to offer everyone a clear direction,” comments Yvan Grabit, technology lead at Steinberg.
2018/05/17 16:29:24
DaveClark
Hi all,

It appears that they're just doing away with the VST2Wrapper part of VST3 SDK.  That's probably a good thing because Grabit and others only recently became aware of just how buggy it was.  Not only that, but Cubase didn't actually support either the buggy version or the "fixed" version of VST2Wrapper until very recently.  IMO they are just getting rid of a headache that they've had for five years.

Regards,
Dave Clark
2018/05/17 17:29:58
marled
IMHO it is sad!
I liked the simple way to open factory presets with a drop-down menu with VST2 plugins. And there is the other point that was better with VST2: The user was allowed to organize the plugins in his own way (very democratic), with VST3 the user is infantilized in the MS-way or Facebook-way, that's modern! Also, with VST3 more and more vendors create complicated and sophisticated installers or installation processes that make our life only more difficult.
I saw the difference yesterday when I installed some plugins on both of my computers. Some were installed the old way (zip file > copy plugin to your folder of choice) and others had a Windows installation process (didn't know whether I had to set the VST2 path with or without company name, there were no AAX and VST3 options, they automatically installed menu entries that I also do not want, ...) So in the end it took me about 5 times as long with the installation process plugins (check what they did, fix it the way I like it). Inverted world!
2018/05/17 21:02:08
Pragi
azslow3

You´ve got me there.
Used the wrong link.
@Steven,
thank you for taking care.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account