• Features & Ideas
  • Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Roland (p.2)
2015/08/10 04:12:48
mettelus
I just caught a compatibility link in the forums, so not sure. It seems Roland has changed perspective on one AI mentioned, and others have altered the installers for some programs. I only caught that page in passing.
2015/08/10 08:33:27
John T
While it's true that drivers in theory are complex, the v700 driver does actually work fine in Windows 10, as the windows driver model has not changed since Vista. The only thing stopping it working is the installer and the driver signing process. We've got a big thread about this in the Cakewalk Hardware forum; several of us have it working just fine.

If Roland can't be bothered to officially do what we've managed to do ourselves, that's a pretty poor show. But I'd already resolved to never buy a piece of Roland gear again. They make great stuff, but the way they operate as a business is dreadful.
2015/08/10 09:58:44
Doktor Avalanche
Wasn't there a bug or something with the master fader under win8?
2015/08/10 10:13:00
John T
Not related to Win 8. I had it in Win 7. This is the thing where occasionally the master fader does control the master level in Sonar, but Sonar fails to control it's physical position. You can usually get around it by CTRL-clicking the "reset audio" thing in the transport module of the control bar. It's annoying, but it doesn't seem to be a driver issue.
2015/08/10 10:29:22
Doktor Avalanche
Is that fixed in Win10 with the old driver? I think it's impossible to tell if it's a driver or Sonar myself. If I was to guess I would say driver myself...
2015/08/10 10:43:41
John T
No, still happens in Win10.
2015/08/10 10:51:03
AT
Roland is the same as everyone else - out to make a buck.  Roland produced a very fine piece of equipment - the VS 700, and the VS 100 was also great in its own way.  The 700 was about as well thought out piece of music hardware for software as you could hope.  But it wasn't universal (one reason it works w/ SONAR so well) and I don't think they sold enough of either one to make any money back from the R&D spent.  As good as it was for the user, it was a failure since it was over-priced for the home market.  So Roland should spend more money?  I don't think they'll do that and just eat the loss of sales to people who've got burned and swear they'll never buy Roland again.  If they bring out a product that is unique many will forget their oaths and buy - I've done that.  It would be great if they did update old drivers, but I would be surprised.

Cake is not to blame at all - Roland's hardware and drivers.  They certainly aren't going to add to their debt-load.

MS ain't to blame - they are not responsible for 3rd party drivers when the OS changes.  I bought an all-in-one  printer that will do CDs.  Until Win 8.  I've had keep an older computer around just for that function.

The choices are eat the loss of the VS 700 or find a work around (which the hardware thread has).  Otherwise, privately raise money to have new software written.

Or lastly, don't change OS.  And I don't have a lot of faith in MS not to break more drivers at some point.  If Win 10 never causes obsolesce, MS is left as a replacement company, replacing the software in hardware that finally breaks.  Even if they don't make much hardware, MS works w/ other companies - and the only reason for MS to be is for those other companies to make hardware to put MS software in.  The more hardware, the more money they make. 

I was offered a used, review model when they came out.  I politely declined, even tho I loved the VS as a SONAR controller.  Everything you could possibly want, and more.  But I didn't need the in/outs.  And I certainly didn't need a glorified gm playback synth with it.  If Roland could have gotten the price (sans the extraneous features) down close to $1000 just as a controller (esp. a universal controller to open the field) they would have had a winner.  Everybody was begging for a Mackie or  TASCAM killer at that time.  Instead, they put out a $2000 unit w/  other features most people already had covered.  Maybe Roland should have to rewrite drivers, but then, that would be double indemnity.  ;-)

@

2015/08/10 11:09:56
John T
Yeah, the whole thing was a failed initiative. Bizarrely over-specced as you say. I was expecting a VS-600 at some point, without the extraneous synth and stupendously niche V-link features. That never happened, and it became fairly quickly apparent that the whole venture had been abandoned.

I think Roland never had a clue who they were making it for, to be honest.
2015/08/10 11:25:40
AT
It must have seemed like a good idea at the time.  Hell, it is still a good idea - a dedicated controller w/ everything pre-mapped.  Except I'd replace the 32 knobs w/ a "knob" strip and add touchscreen since we have left the 20th century.

Ah, well.
2015/08/11 08:50:04
mudgel
Can I add that Cakewalk didn't write the drivers in the first place. Roland has a software dev team just for that sort of thing. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to keep on top of this.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account