• Features & Ideas
  • Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Roland (p.3)
2015/08/11 13:06:50
mettelus
Granted, but unfortunately all products reach an end-of-life support phase. Is like me saying that Ford should manufacture parts for an antique car. The difference is that specs are released to third parties to allow for this. In a software world, this is not as common because much code is grandfathered into new code and companies with this mindset (of code tweaking) don't want to just hand out a jump-start to competitors.
2015/08/11 15:55:28
John T
Yeah, but this isn't a $100 plug in we're talking about here. It's a $4-5k piece of studio gear. And it's hardly antique; it was released only six years ago. I guarantee you that nobody bought it thinking "Yeah, I'd be fine if I only got 6 years use out of this". And that if Roland had said "we're going to ditch support for this in 2015", I guarantee you they wouldn't have sold a single unit.
2015/08/11 16:29:18
mettelus
Of course. And if Roland had known their relationship with CW was going to belly up, they most likely would never have made it.

Few market "reality" in my experience.
2015/08/11 17:43:28
ampfixer
Companies like Roland and Yamaha seem to bail on anything that doesn't sell into 5 digits. Remember the Roland guitar synths from the 80's? I've got one and it became a boat anchor in 2 years. That was just enough time to buy expansion cards and some accessories for the boat anchor. Yamaha guitar amps seem to survive a 1 or 2 year life cycle and then get dumped. They made a few killer amps. Then there's the DG amps and DG stomp box, etc.

I build gear for musicians and I've never turned away somebody that showed up with some of my old prototypes for repair or modification. But then again, I don't set up custom assembly lines using proprietary components. I want my stuff to be repairable any place on earth.
2015/08/11 21:26:51
tlw
Scrapping perfectly good hardware simply because there's no driver for it any more is a real pain in the neck. There are landfill sites full of old printers, scanners, video cards, all sorts of things that worked when they were dumped but... No more drivers.

Technology churn generates sales of shiny new stuff, but it's a drain on people's incomes and it chews through supplies of natural resources that are finite and one day will get scarce. As a long-term plan for the future of our species it's not even good in the short term.

Getting off my soapbox, I can't see Cakewalk picking up hardware drivers where Roland left off because it would mean a huge amount of work for no return and no end in sight for when the job might be finished. Some things, I'm told by Linux coding people, can be reverse-engineered relatively easily. Other things not. I suspect the V controllers might fall in the latter category.

There's also the little matter of how Roland might react to another company, now owned by a competitor called Gibson, reverse engineering Roland hardware or software.

Personally I'd rather Cakewalk put some work into a custom tablet touch-screen control surface that worked on all the current major tablet operating systems. But only after deciding either to sort out ACT, which has needed updating and refining for years or to drop ACT and come up with something better that ties into Sonar's control surface functions.
2015/08/11 21:52:02
BobF
I wish my Delta66 had gotten updated drivers ...
2015/08/11 23:40:13
ampfixer
I will yield to the masses. I can see based on this thread that it will be a total loss. It would also be of limited benefit since the people affected is small. The current business model simply seems flawed.

We are supposed to get into a green mindset, and this doesn't support that goal. Kind of like the war on distracted driving, where the auto makers cram every distraction they can into cars. I have steering wheel controls, a full set of gauges and two LCD display screens in my car, and it's not an expensive car. But it's good enough to get me and my orphaned tech to the recycle depot.
2015/08/12 02:54:03
Kev999
ampfixer
Companies like Roland and Yamaha seem to bail on anything that doesn't sell into 5 digits.

Obviously it would be loss-making for a company like Roland or Yamaha to continue maintaining legacy products. But if they did it would do wonders for their reputation and would ultimately result in increased sales anyway.
2015/08/12 08:41:52
BobF
ampfixer
I will yield to the masses. I can see based on this thread that it will be a total loss. It would also be of limited benefit since the people affected is small. The current business model simply seems flawed.

We are supposed to get into a green mindset, and this doesn't support that goal. Kind of like the war on distracted driving, where the auto makers cram every distraction they can into cars. I have steering wheel controls, a full set of gauges and two LCD display screens in my car, and it's not an expensive car. But it's good enough to get me and my orphaned tech to the recycle depot.

I do feel for ya John.  This is one of the reason I [periodically] rally for "standard" control surface support.  IMO, sticking to a core set of features that endure would be a great way to go - and provide options for people who want to add the hardware.  Much like audio interfaces today for hardware, and VST for plugins.
2015/08/12 15:32:22
Atsuko
icontakt
mettelus
The A-X00 pros are already on the "no" list for Win 10. 

I see "A-PRO Driver Ver.1.0.3 for Windows 10" on my Roland account download page. Is this for us Japanese users only?

I can also see them; the drivers for the A-PRO are available here:
http://www.roland.com/support/by_product/a-500pro/updates_drivers/
http://www.roland.com/support/updates_drivers/
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account