• Features & Ideas
  • Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Roland (p.4)
2015/08/12 18:45:30
Doktor Avalanche
Here's another idea. If these companies don't want to spend money on drivers, for supporting an OS they never agree to support in the first place, they should do a kickstarter to see if people would pay $20 or something for them... And make some money. Lack of forward vision IMHO.
2015/08/12 18:56:15
BobF
Doktor Avalanche
Here's another idea. If these companies don't want to spend money on drivers, for supporting an OS they never agree to support in the first place, they should do a kickstarter to see if people would pay $20 or something for them... And make some money. Lack of forward vision IMHO.

Even THAT process is costly to coordinate.  The best solution would be to kick it to the Open Source community.  I'm sure proprietary concerns prevent that from happening though ...

Just like the Delta drivers.  Throw the source out there and let somebody run with it I say.

2015/08/12 19:20:11
Doktor Avalanche
BobF
Doktor Avalanche

Even THAT process is costly to coordinate.  The best solution would be to kick it to the Open Source community.  I'm sure proprietary concerns prevent that from happening though ...

Just like the Delta drivers.  Throw the source out there and let somebody run with it I say.

Open source (what I said earlier) best idea but will never happen. With kickstarter you consume those costs with the price you charge your customers. If nobody is interested it doesn't happen. Setting up a kickstarter account and estimating the price of development is not rocket science, esp when there is already code available from the previous OS. In theory they could make a steal with a captive audience. All for maybe a few months paid work in total. The drivers don't need to be rewritten from scratch.
2015/08/12 21:54:49
BobF
Doktor Avalanche
BobF
Doktor Avalanche

Open source (what I said earlier) ...

Isn't it awesome to be agreed with?  
2015/08/12 23:33:23
Doktor Avalanche
BobF
Isn't it awesome to be agreed with?  

It's a bloody novelty that's what it is 
Cheers :)
2015/08/13 02:13:04
ampfixer
I've got the A500PRO working pretty well under Win 10 and I'm happy for that. Everyone seems to focused on making the hardware OS compatible, but I was thinking a bit deeper. My controller has control maps optimised for different DAW's, as I'm sure most controllers do. What I was thinking about was having Cakewalk revise and refine those controller mappings so that one day there could be a page dedicated to the Pro Channel and Quad Curve.

The software goes through continuous improvement but the controllers seem to be a snap shot in time. ie., the VS-700 was made for 8.5.3, not optimised for Sonar 2015. One day controllers will be touch screen overlays and we will be able keep them current. Can you imagine a keyboard controller that looks like a glass slab until it's turned on?
2015/08/13 08:00:17
Muziekschuur at home
Windows 8 drivers usually work on windows 10. I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I am using a Roland audio interface with a windows 8 driver. I have found no issues sofar. Just lower latency. Who wouldn't want that?
2015/08/13 09:48:48
tlw
ampfixerCan you imagine a keyboard controller that looks like a glass slab until it's turned on?

Yes. I doubt the action would be very good though. Or the velocity sensitivity. Or aftertouch. Touchscreen keyboards already exist and they're a poor compromise at best compared to a real keyboard.

Control surfaces, on the other hand, are a different matter. Touch-screen control surfaces already exist. With a touchscreen monitor Sonar already has that capability. And there are quite a number of control surface applications for tablets, some of which work very well. None are dedicated to Sonar in the way Apple's Logic remote app is built for Logic Pro though.
2015/08/13 10:15:33
BobF
I'm waiting for this one to become affordable

2015/08/18 11:32:55
Anderton
FWIW...

I agree with Ampfixer about "disposable" gear. I have guitars that are 50 years old and not only do they work fine, you can still buy replacement strings for them. I also have digital keyboards from the 80s that work, but once some critical component fails and is no longer available, then that instrument becomes useless.

The V-Studio controller is Mackie-compatible and I use it with other programs, like Reason and Vegas. It also still works fine with SONAR. But again, it's likely that at some point a proprietary component will fail and that will be the end of it. I believe there are also some quirks with the Mackie Control implementation with SONAR because I tested it with the SSL Nucleus. Great controller, and worked fine for the basics...but as soon as you tried to control buses, you couldn't get back to any other mode of operation.

The issue of support for companies is tricky. Most companies do not make their own components and rely on third-party supply chains. Due to the size of our industry, these are often single-sourced. So let's suppose your V-Studio controller goes south. Roland may not be able to fix it because the company they used to make certain components is either out of business or moved on and no longer makes that part. Most companies will keep spare parts on hand to handle future service needs, but eventually those will run out. Of course drivers can be re-written, but as has been pointed out here, to be fair to Roland the economics of doing so don't make sense.

Finally, there's the desire of companies to sell you new stuff, whether you need it or not. I had a Matrox graphics card which was supposedly not compatible with 64-bit Windows 7. I contacted the company about a driver and they said no way, didn't exist, had to buy a new card. But then I found an installation package for servers that included a 64-bit Windows 7 compatible driver for the card. It worked perfectly, and was even identified as being for 64-bit Windows 7.

Or the Epson scanner that supposedly had no driver that would work with 64-bit systems. Yet I found a driver on the web someone had hacked (illegally, of course...you're not supposed to reverse engineer or modify a manufacturer's code) and it worked fine. Apparently all it required was removing or adding a line of code, it was a very simple change.

Or take my Apple quad core Xeon, which was manufactured two weeks before the cutoff date for being able to run full 64-bit operating systems. That cutoff date had nothing to do with technology; it's possible to modify the computer to work as a full 64-bit machine and run operating systems past Lion. But Apple would much rather that I buy a new computer.

It's a helluva stupid world we're leaving for our kids.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account