• Features & Ideas
  • Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Roland (p.5)
2015/08/18 12:29:20
AT
Hmmm.  I've got an old Epson printer that will do CDs - but not on 64 bits.  Any other hints?

@
2015/08/19 18:22:25
Eveangel
My question in all of this is why is updating the operating system so important? In most cases Operating systems are the least needed updates when in comes to users immediately updating, but so many people flock to the updating of the systems.  Then when they do everyone is screaming for updates.  If the programs you use operates under the old OS system, and there is no reason to update such as lower system load or better Asio driver implementation, or whatever the users particular situation may be, your better off forgetting whatever bells and whistles that are calling you.  OS's are flashy, but in the background, allot of times there is little to no changes to throughput on OS updates or new releases.  Mostly its the front end and new apps that are added that become the main stay for the new OS.  They usually take up more memory than the last, leave less to the secondary manufacturer's applications(especially where windows is concerned), and over all they tend to be buggy the first 6 months to a year after implementation.  So anyone going to 10, check and make sure there are drivers for your system. (Audio, Video, Midi, interfaces)  Because if not rollbacks can be quite painful, and sometimes completely impossible.
2015/08/19 21:34:33
John T
Anderton
Of course drivers can be re-written, but as has been pointed out here, to be fair to Roland the economics of doing so don't make sense.

Well, hang on there. In the case of the v series drivers, us plebs at the forums have them working, off the back of a bit of getting together in our spare time. Roland could get a moderately capable junior to sort this out in an afternoon. That's not an economic barrier, that's cynically exercised fake obsolescence.

I hope this eventually bites them. We're now in a world where audio hardware needs to be computer compatible. I hope that the companies - of which there are presently few, it has to be said - who work to maintain compatibility, will earn their customers' loyalty. And that the companies who presently don't, find it necessary to rethink that position.

Roland have been financially struggling for quite a while, it's no secret. And while I wish no ill on their workforce in general, at a corporate level, well, they should stop conducting their business so poorly.

THERE, I'VE SAID IT.
2015/08/20 00:41:19
Doktor Avalanche
John T
Well, hang on there. In the case of the v series drivers, us plebs at the forums have them working, off the back of a bit of getting together in our spare time. Roland could get a moderately capable junior to sort this out in an afternoon. That's not an economic barrier, that's cynically exercised fake obsolescence. 

I hope this eventually bites them. We're now in a world where audio hardware needs to be computer compatible. I hope that the companies - of which there are presently few, it has to be said - who work to maintain compatibility, will earn their customers' loyalty. And that the companies who presently don't, find it necessary to rethink that position.

Roland have been financially struggling for quite a while, it's no secret. And while I wish no ill on their workforce in general, at a corporate level, well, they should stop conducting their business so poorly.

THERE, I'VE SAID IT.

Let's just say that's true. They will still have to test it, considerably. A complicated interface requires more complicated testing. The combinations can be huge.

The other alternative is not to test it extensivel, and risk releasing a dodgy driver. If the driver is dodgy they may also have to spend a considerable period of time and money fixing it....

With simple interfaces it's not too hard to test.

Alternatively stop support, don't spend any money. Life is less complicated for them Hopefully people will buy a new product from them... and if they don't there are always new customers....

And if something is branded as Cakewalk, well somebody else is at least (perceptually) going to shoulder the blame (many customers won't know or care about cakewalks ex relationship with Roland).
2015/08/20 03:30:00
pwalpwal
fwiw, i'm still using an edirol ua-1000, released in 2003, the twist being that i'm using the vista drivers! win10 wouldn't accept the win7 drivers... go figure...
2016/02/22 15:38:11
AlanSJackson
I had a Roland V-studio 20 which I had to part with when I was 'forced' down the Win 10 route. I truth I was gutted as it was for me the perfect partner for guitarist and DAW control. 
Though the driver workaround got the thing working, it was never fully functional and prone to failure. 

Even more galling is the fact that Win 10 caused me so much pain I sold out and went back to 8.1.
If only I had kept the V-studio.....
2016/02/23 09:05:00
Afrodrum
There were bunch of ex Edirol interfaces branded as CAKEWALK. I wonder if bakers feel obliged to take care of those ?
2016/02/23 12:37:14
jpetersen
I must say, I am pleased with the fact I went with Roland interfaces.
My UA-25EX and UA-101 both have Win10 drivers ready to download.
See www.rolandus.com. The UA-25EX is Cakewalk branded.
2016/02/23 13:17:05
Afrodrum
jpetersen
I must say, I am pleased with the fact I went with Roland interfaces.
My UA-25EX and UA-101 both have Win10 drivers ready to download.
See www.rolandus.com. The UA-25EX is Cakewalk branded.

Before I go for win10 what are the chances in your opinion UA-25ex driver would be good for UA-25 ?
2016/02/24 10:08:45
jpetersen
Ha! That's a very, very sore point.

I had the older UA-25, then I got the UA-25EX as a backup (UA-25 was off the market by then).

Turns out you cannot have both the UA-25 and the UA-25EX drivers installed at the same time.
Whenever you install the one, it detects the other and insists on uninstalling it before continuing to  install itself.

And the drivers for the UA-25EX are not backward compatible with the older UA-25!

I had to sell my older UA-25 and got a second Cakewalk-branded UA-25EX.

My even older UA-101 driver co-exists with both, no problem.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account