2016/08/05 09:59:29
Mesh
I've been trying to upgrade my PC to Win 10 Pro but after about 2/3's way into it, I see a message stating that it's Reverting back to the previous Windows.

I tried to keep an eye on it to catch the point where this happens so I can see what needs to be fixed, but haven't been able to catch it (tried upgrading 3 times and the process is a bit long). When I initially run the upgrade program, it does a diagnostic checkup on my system in which everything shows to be fine.

Is there anyway to find out what's causing it to Revert back (without sitting at the screen for a few hours)?

2016/08/05 11:09:33
fireberd
If it doesn't tell you why, there may be no way to find out. 
Did it tell you any software was not compatible? 

Your PC hardware is almost the same as mine. 

Did it do that more than once?  If only once, give it a shot again.  Worst case you will have to do a "clean" install of Win 10 (which means reinstalling everything).

Someone on the Win 10 forum may be able to help more. 
www.tenforums.com
2016/08/05 11:44:58
Mesh
fireberd
If it doesn't tell you why, there may be no way to find out. 
Did it tell you any software was not compatible? 

Your PC hardware is almost the same as mine. 

Did it do that more than once?  If only once, give it a shot again.  Worst case you will have to do a "clean" install of Win 10 (which means reinstalling everything).

Someone on the Win 10 forum may be able to help more. 
www.tenforums.com

Sorry, I should've been more clear in my OP.....the PC I'm trying to install Win 10 is our home PC which currently has Win 8 (the DAW in my sig is running Win 10 without any issues).  

Yeah, last night was round 3 in trying this upgrade and I missed the spot when it started Reverting.

I do have the Win 8 Install disk handy, but was hoping to keep all the settings the same. I suppose that could be my last resort......and do a clean install.

I'll check the ten forums as well......Thanks Jack.
2016/08/05 12:19:33
robert_e_bone
There is some sort of system compatibility checker program that Microsoft has to check the status of all installed devices and applications for their ability to run in Windows 10.  I don't recall where it is, and am regrettably too sleepy at the moment to go hunt it down (sorry, just had a rough night with pain and am going to take a nap now).

If nobody else has posted its link by the time I get back up, I'll dig around for you and post it.

Bob Bone

2016/08/05 12:35:46
fireberd
I saw your post on the tenforums.  Thinking back, I had that problem on one PC with a "preview" (beta) version of Win 10.  With that one I wound up having to do a clean install of Win 10 preview, I couldn't get around the not finishing and reverting.   As that was a preview version (in a dual boot system) on a separate hard drive with nothing except Keyboard and Mouse plugged in, and nothing installed except an early Sonar Platinum version I didn't really lose much by doing a clean install. 

Also, I had a client's PC (a Dell Inspiron desktop) to upgrade to Win 10.  It had Win 8.0 on it and never had any updates.  The free Win 10 is (or at least was at the time) only for Win 7 and Win 8.1.  Thus I had to do all the initial Win 8.0 updates before it would upgrade to Win 8.1.  After I got it to 8.1, I was able to upgrade it to Win 10.
2016/08/05 12:37:18
Mesh
Thanks Bob....I thought the system compatibility check was done at the beginning (before it started the install).....or is this something different?

Because, it did do a checkup before starting the upgrade/install. 

Ps.
Get some rest and hope you feel better.
2016/08/05 12:42:05
Mesh
fireberd
I saw your post on the tenforums.  Thinking back, I had that problem on one PC with a "preview" (beta) version of Win 10.  With that one I wound up having to do a clean install of Win 10 preview, I couldn't get around the not finishing and reverting.   As that was a preview version (in a dual boot system) on a separate hard drive with nothing except Keyboard and Mouse plugged in, and nothing installed except an early Sonar Platinum version I didn't really lose much by doing a clean install. 

Also, I had a client's PC (a Dell Inspiron desktop) to upgrade to Win 10.  It had Win 8.0 on it and never had any updates.  The free Win 10 is (or at least was at the time) only for Win 7 and Win 8.1.  Thus I had to do all the initial Win 8.0 updates before it would upgrade to Win 8.1.  After I got it to 8.1, I was able to upgrade it to Win 10.

I did do all the Win 8 updates, but can't remember if it went to Win 8.1 (will check that tonight). If troubleshooting this is going to be a long process, I'll just do a clean install with Win 8 and go from there. Hopefully, Microsoft will accept me trying to register Win 8.  
2016/08/05 16:11:09
DrLumen
When I tried to snag win10, it failed horribly.

However, I think the issue may have been that I had the boot and bios changes locked out in the bios. I  didn't realize it until later when trying to install an update back to Win7. Perhaps this may be something you want to check.

I'm out of time now but, at this point, I would not consider trying to upgrade again.
2016/08/05 16:28:31
Mesh
DrLumen
When I tried to snag win10, it failed horribly.

However, I think the issue may have been that I had the boot and bios changes locked out in the bios. I  didn't realize it until later when trying to install an update back to Win7. Perhaps this may be something you want to check.

I'm out of time now but, at this point, I would not consider trying to upgrade again.

I don't recall doing that in BIOS.....then again, this is my first DAW and is 9 yrs. old (still with the original parts except for 1 stick of RAM).

Regarding upgrading to Win 10, Microsoft is still ok with it (if you're still wanting to).
2016/08/05 17:33:01
kennywtelejazz
Mesh ,

I hope you can do the Win 8 to Win 10 ...I did mine that way and totally bypassed the 8 .1 

got my fingers crossed for you, hope you get lucky

Kenny
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account