• Software
  • My flashlight is spying on me (p.3)
2018/04/14 23:41:58
bitflipper
meng
What is the name of the flashlight app?

It was called "Flashlight". Probably one of many out there so named.
2018/04/17 15:27:52
iRelevant
gswitz
What privileges does band lab want on phones. Perhaps Meng can educate us on what they really do.

I'm paranoid, but I didn't break a sweat when the BandLab iPhone app asked for permission to access my mic :) 
You can also choose not to be notified in the case somebody likes or comment on your published songs. 
Big Data is Big Business, but I don't have the impression that BL has any ambitions in that direction. 
2018/04/17 15:32:23
iRelevant
HeatherHaze
Yep.  Almost all of those handy little "flashlight" apps are data miners.  So you get a free flashlight, while some hacker in Russia gets all of your private data to do with as he pleases.  Free?  Not so much.  Smile and say Привет!  :D

And the stingy NSA who monitors and logs all data traffic on the net, of course get it for free on the way out ... 
2018/04/24 12:49:21
JohanSebatianGremlin
Interesting thread. It does make me wonder. What would lead anyone to believe their life was interesting enough to cause someone else to go to the trouble of creating a free app to spy on them?
2018/04/24 13:25:39
sharke
It's a good job this isn't in the Coffee House otherwise I'd probably be starting a sister thread entitled "My Fleshlight Is Spying On Me"
2018/04/24 13:30:43
bitflipper
If you buy stuff, people who want to sell you stuff find you interesting.

If you vote or express opinions, you're interesting to politicians and lobbyists whose mission is to figure out what you think - because they know that whatever your opinion is about anything, someone will pay them to convince you that you are wrong.

If you simply exist, you're still interesting to marketers just for being part of the human aggregate.
2018/05/03 10:53:07
soens
Time to clean the phone of... unneeded stuff that may be spying on me.
2018/05/07 16:23:25
Cactus Music
I get all excited about a free app but when I see that permissions screen I delete it. I have only a few Apps on my iPhone and those did not require any permissions. 

Sharke, you can turn off the Auto Flash in your camera app. Set it to manual. 
2018/05/08 20:23:43
Zo
Crazy world we 're living in , i tend to be paranoid , maybe because i come from a computing master degree , or maybe because i simply  know the world we're living in ,i deactivate everything on smart phone , unistall everything , only use minimal stuff ....same on computer , but i also know it's not sufficient so i  simply control what infos can be seen  ..... commercial use of information is the head of the iceberg , social engineering and population manipulation is another one area that sounds like a old 80 'movie but true , security agencies profiling ect .... again nothing dangerous until it comes dangerous and then , not escape ....

I remeber how i laughted when people we're exited to get finger print sensor on smartphones lol or eye reconnaisance on computers .... just waiting for the blood dna collection to close the circle ....
2018/05/09 09:12:12
pwalpwal
my now-retired father, once a telecoms engineer then project director, once told my friends and i never to say anything on the phone you wouldn't shout across a crowded bar IN THE MID-80s!!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account