• Software
  • Can anyone recommend best HD backup/restore software re moving (SSD) to another PC?
2018/05/07 15:12:55
Flagrant Regard
Hey there. Been faithful to Acronis and am willing to apply myself to learning the whole 'Universal Restore' process, if it's got a good track record. 

Am tres happy with my C-Drive as it is now and would like it to be legacy'd to another system as is. No need at present but to do NORMAL HD imaging, as my present system is working great, but would like to do a no-fail 'Dissimilar Hardware Restore/Universal Restore' one day, into a new PC/system.

Just want my DAW and VST's and all the fixin's to behave when the process is completed. 

What would you guys recommend as being the best experience/software for the job? 

Please & Thanks in advance!!
2018/05/07 22:24:17
Jim Roseberry
Used Acronis True Image literally hundreds of times the past 12+ years.
Never failed...
There are similar apps that are just as good... but I have no reason to switch.
2018/05/08 03:25:17
Grem
Another long time True Image user. 

Not sure if I understand what your wanting to do, but let me ask this: Are you wanting to take your C:\ drive out of your present machine and place it, as it is now, into another machine? IOW, you do not want to do a new install of Windows in the new machine. You want to use the version of Windows installed on that C:\ drive?

If the answers to the above questions is yes, you may want to rethink this. You may have authorization problems for one thing. Then the next thing is the chipsets may not be the same.

Rule of thumb for the least amount of headaches in the long run: When going from one machine to another, start fresh. IOW, new install of Windows and all software.
2018/05/08 18:23:19
cclarry
I third the motion....flawless....everytime
2018/05/09 02:02:53
Jesse G
+ 1  Acronis True Image, every time it's a winner.

Go to the Acronis site, and underneath the price, select, TRY for FREE.

The only problem I had was with XLN Audio's AD2.
AD2 didn't recognize my computer ID any longer.
To fix the problem, I had to go to XLN website and Log in to remove my PC and then renter my computer again.

Instructions:
Log onto the XLN Audio Site
Click on MY Account at the top of the page.
Select,the  My Computer tab on the page.
Remove the Computer listed there and then add it back (XLN Audio will do this for you after pressing the button).

Have Fun

2018/05/10 03:56:15
Flagrant Regard
THanks everyone! Guess I'll learn the UNIVERSAL RESTORE procedure and give 'er a go when the day comes. That's the way you can move your present hard drive (and Windows 10 op system) and all the proggies inside into a new computer with a new mobo/driverset etc. Yes, they say it works with a few bugs, but overall, it works!

Later & thanks again!
:-)
F.R.
2018/05/11 04:47:19
kitekrazy1
Even older versions of True Image work.  I've used 2010 for a W10 image. Some SSD drive packages come with a free version and it works as well.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account