• Computers
  • Looking For Advice On A New Computer (Solved) (p.2)
2016/06/25 07:23:21
tomixornot
Hi,

Regarding to install video card or not, depends on a few issues. Basically for DAW only use, if the motherboard / chipset supports built in graphic, video card is not required.

Z170 platform supports build in graphic, so there is not need to get a video card.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/specifications/               (check the graphic section)

For example, my older board, an Intel DP67BG does not have built in graphic :

http://ark.intel.com/products/50244/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP67BG

And for my system above, I get the lowest spec fan less graphic card, just to enable display. It also depends if you want to drive more than one display. Z170 by default supports up to 3 full HD monitors, so it should be enough by itself.

Regarding 6700 vs 6700K, K series CPUs are meant for overclocking. If you don't intend to overclock, 6700 will do and it's cheaper. For me, I prefer the K series even though I do not overclock .. having the thought of one day I might just need to over clock it a bit when future OS / Sonar need more power..  (but very unlikely I'll overclock the CPU full time, but I do have the option to experiment).

2016/08/03 03:01:14
groverken
Thanks to everyone who commented here and a huge thanks to Wookiee for his advice. As you can see from my signature I took the plunge at last and all is going well - even after the new Windows 10 update.
2016/08/03 08:53:26
Mesh
groverken
Thanks to everyone who commented here and a huge thanks to Wookiee for his advice. As you can see from my signature I took the plunge at last and all is going well - even after the new Windows 10 update.

Congrats Groverken!! Looks to be a very nice system.

Next stop fro you is The Song's Forum to post a song! 
2016/08/03 12:47:23
DrLumen
I must say that the whir and hum of 5 case fans, 2 video card fans, the cpu fan and 2 external cabinet fans have a hypnotic and lulling affect giving a sense of well being and unity with my environment. :)

For some reason, recording in the same room doesn't impart the same harmony. Go figure...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account