2016/07/23 10:40:33
bitflipper
There is a downside to dual monitors, which is that you may need to move your speakers further apart so that the displays don't impinge on the speakers' line-of-sight dispersion. This is an argument for a single large display instead of two smaller ones, or for placing the two monitors vertically, one above the other.

My ideal desk would have a shelf for video monitors below the desk's surface. Picture the news anchor's desk on TV. This would allow for larger displays that would have less speaker interference. I'd also integrate a noise-dampening compartment for the computer, an equipment rack and cabling troughs.

Wish I was better at woodworking.
2016/07/23 13:08:01
bayoubill
you may need to move your speakers further apart so that the displays don't impinge on the speakers' line-of-sight dispersion

Exactly Dave. It's the problem I'm having at the moment. I've moved things around etc. and the thought of one big monitor is slowing my decision. A former drummer and friend is a manger at the local Walmart electronics dept. and we were talking about vertical placement of 2 monitors. To me that makes sense but there's the cost of buying or building a desk. 

In my favor is there is no rush to make that decision. I'm happy with my room arrangement now but I can see that two monitors will take a new desk. I think I will start my next project to help show what it is I actually need. The one thing that has slowed my choice is the way I go about building a song and arrangement. Since I do and play everything my steps are one thing at a time and I really haven't needed a console view and a track view at the same time. 
2016/07/23 14:03:16
robert_e_bone
I have 2 monitors - used to use 3, and may well go back to a third.

My reference speakers are to the right and left of my midi controller, and each monitor is placed on top of one of the reference speakers, so that they face me at the same angle as the reference speakers, at a 45 degree angle and are about 2-3 feet from my noggin.  

If I pick up a third monitor, it too will be an HDTV, and will likely be a 50" or 55" HDTV, depending on what is on sale when I am ready to pick one up.  THAT one would sit directly in front of me, and would then become my main monitor, with Sonar's main screen on it (Track Pane, Inspector Pane, Browser Pane).

In my current 2-monitor setup, Sonar's main screen is on the larger monitor, and the other monitor displays the console view.

In my setup, I have no desk.  I have my keyboard rig sitting in front of me, and is two-tiered, with an 88-key midi controller on the bottom tier, and a 61-key midi controller on the upper tier.  My keyboard stand has a horizontal stablizer rod that keeps the two brackets that form the 2nd tier rigid and stop the upper tier from shaking.  I have a square metal side of a computer chassis running across the top of the lower midi controller, (there are no knobs or buttons or any display panel on the top center of that controller, and the back of that metal square panel sits on top of that cross-strut of the upper tier of the keyboard stand.  I use a little duct tape to secure the panel to the stand and the lower midi controller.  On the metal panel, I place my audio interface and a tube pre-amp, and I usually have my computer keyboard in my lap or can place it on top of the audio interface and tube pre-amp - since they are both flat on top.

Sorry about all the above typing - my setup is quite comfortable for me to reach and see everything, and even though the two display monitors have some space between them, most of my work during tracking is using the main display monitor, once I have levels set, and I generally only need to occasionally glance at the other display with the console view on it, until I am actually mixing and watching levels more closely or adding effects or working with ProChannel settings and such.

If I pick up a third monitor, it would become the main display, console view would remain on the display to my left, and I would likely use the display to the right for having plugins open or maybe have Notepad/Word/Excel open on that one, for creating notes for the project.  Anything really other than the main display and the console would be placed on that monitor.

By thew way, both of my displays sit just about perfectly at the right height for me, sitting on top of the reference speakers.

Bob Bone

2016/07/23 14:07:39
rivers88
Take a look at some of the options variable for dual monitor stands - 
Many have a single clamp that easily attaches to most computer desks, with individual height and angle adjustments for each monitor.

Might be able to make something like that work without having to build a new desk around it.
Worked for me! 
2016/07/23 14:08:18
robert_e_bone
I also concur with bayoubill's one-man show comments about not really needing to have the console view and the track view in use at the same time, and even in my setup I don't normally have to look at both at the same time.  It IS nice, however that I don't have to do a thing other than to turn my head to view the console, since it is always up and always in the same place to my left at a 45 degree angle and 3 feet from my head.

I am a keyboard player, and am doing all the keyboard parts, so the above works well for me.  When tracking guitar or drums, I can look at whichever monitor is presenting the information I need for that moment, and do not have to open or move anything in order to see track view info or console levels.

Bob Bone

2016/07/23 14:22:10
robert_e_bone
Here is a 50" HDTV I might pick up as a 3rd monitor (and would become my primary screen with Track View on it):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-50-class-49-5-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-roku-tv-black/4863102.p?id=bb4863102&skuId=4863102

The above HDTV is running at $299 here in the US.  Several large retailers offer giant numbers of brands and sizes, and with a little checking between their web sites, you can almost always find a great HDTV in whatever size you wish, at a great price.  The above link is but one example of how inexpensive these are becoming on a regular basis, and they work GREAT with Sonar for single or multiple display setups.

Bob Bone

2016/07/23 17:16:52
bjornpdx
I've been thinking of getting an ultrawide monitor to replace the two monitors I'm using now. It would  mean less screen space (maybe not that much) but I'd regain some (physical) desk space which I need. The local Costco has them so it would be an easy return if it didn't work out.
2016/07/24 11:14:00
BobF
robert_e_bone
Here is a 50" HDTV I might pick up as a 3rd monitor (and would become my primary screen with Track View on it):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-50-class-49-5-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-roku-tv-black/4863102.p?id=bb4863102&skuId=4863102

The above HDTV is running at $299 here in the US.  Several large retailers offer giant numbers of brands and sizes, and with a little checking between their web sites, you can almost always find a great HDTV in whatever size you wish, at a great price.  The above link is but one example of how inexpensive these are becoming on a regular basis, and they work GREAT with Sonar for single or multiple display setups.

Bob Bone

1920 x 1080 on 50" wouldn't make me happy.  A 50" 4K would be a close match for pixel size to the two 1920 x 1080 23" WS I have now, plus give me double height.

2016/07/24 12:26:10
robert_e_bone
Yeah - I only used that link to show essentially that there are 50" and larger HDTV's out there in the $300 range - I wasn't particularly suggesting that model over any others in that price range.  When ready to shop for one, I would suggest reviewing the larger retailers, such as Best Buy, Sams Club, Costco, Walmart, and even some of the more computer parts leaning retailers, like Newegg, Micro Center, and Tiger Direct.

I should have clarified that in my earlier post. :)

I should add that my eyes are pretty much toast anymore, so I tend to set resolutions to where things are big enough for me to read comfortably, even though that means displaying less icons and content on the screen.

Bob Bone

2016/07/24 13:15:27
BobF
I hear ya on the eyes.  1920x1080 on 23" is about as small as I wanna go.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account