2016/07/24 13:31:45
Chregg
I use 2, track view in 1st monitor, multi dock in 2nd monitor
2016/07/24 13:58:59
Siluroo
Chregg
I use 2, track view in 1st monitor, multi dock in 2nd monitor

Same

but I also have my monitors mounted on a swivel, so I can rotate them to portrait view if I want want to get more more tracks in view, or maybe a larger range of notes in piano roll etc.  Which is probably excessive, but I have picked this habit up from reading way to PDF technical and text books, and learnt to swap screen orientations to make life easier instead of having to scroll up and down all the time to revise etc.

I like making things easier for me, and having tall screens sometimes does that :)
2016/07/25 08:53:26
Mesh
So generally speaking, is it better to have 1 big monitor vs. 2 smaller?? (in my case using a 32" HDTV vs. having two 24" monitors)....
2016/07/25 09:49:01
BobF
I have NOT tried a single.  Yet.  One thing that is nagging about the thought of going from 2 smaller to one larger is that I have current monitors sitting S x S and each is angled in slightly.  I really don't like straight.

I *might* be able to get used to it if I'm able to get rid of the split and quadruple my screen pixels though.
2016/07/25 10:30:43
robert_e_bone
Mesh
So generally speaking, is it better to have 1 big monitor vs. 2 smaller?? (in my case using a 32" HDTV vs. having two 24" monitors)....

For ME, I prefer 2 monitors, and I split things across them.  I had run with 3 in the past, and may do so again at some point, but for now am much happier with 2 than 1 giant one.  (my current two are much bigger than any true computer display monitor I ever had in the past, at 32" and 40").

Bob Bone

2016/07/25 10:42:30
Mesh
robert_e_bone
Mesh

For ME, I prefer 2 monitors, and I split things across them.  I had run with 3 in the past, and may do so again at some point, but for now am much happier with 2 than 1 giant one.  (my current two are much bigger than any true computer display monitor I ever had in the past, at 32" and 40").

Bob Bone

My dilemma is only having one of each ATM......and a bit hesitant to buy another 24" monitor with the lack of space on my desk.

A few years back, I did have a dual display setup with two 19" monitors and it was really nice to have tracking on one screen/console view on another. I suppose the best way to know is to setup the larger one as the primary monitor and see how much real estate it (Sonar) takes before buying a new monitor. 
2016/07/25 13:28:54
Kamikaze
Does anyone set up with one above another. I've wondered as my laptop is touchscreen, so could tilt back and set to the console view, and have a larger non touch hanging off the wall above it.
2016/07/25 22:17:47
robert_e_bone
I set my son's computer up with its two displays over and under.  He likes it, but I prefer side to side.  Mine even have three feet of space between them, and I happen still prefer that than over/under.

But, I suppose it could be gotten used to, and it comes down to personal choice/preference.

Bob Bone

2016/07/25 22:35:17
Kamikaze
I think I'f I had the same sizes I'd lean towards side by side, but having a HD laptop screen as one, I'd want the other to be a larger screen even if the same resolution. I wonder if that would feel odd going side by side.
2016/07/26 00:17:37
mettelus
I tend to only run a second monitor on things that have gotten complex (multiple VSTs that need tweaking, or the multi-dock being required in view). In many cases the multi-dock alone will suffice on a single monitor (D/Shift-D being used a lot). For other applications, the second monitor is off.

To that end, a few quick tidbits....
  1. I have a shortcut to "Display Switch" on my desktop (C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe in Win7), so I can shift between "Extend" and "Computer Only" on the fly. This saves screwing around drilling for that in the Display options.
  2. If you use this setup, under "Display->Change Display Settings" you want to be sure the monitors are side-by-side properly as they appear visually to you (one time check). Meaning, if 1 vs 2 are not how they physically set (can drag the monitors to arrange), Win7 puts a "wall" at the outer boundary... i.e., if the second monitor is left of the main, you want them in a "2 left of 1" configuration, so going left off the main monitor with the cursor lands on monitor 2 versus hitting that "wall."
  3. Opening projects on one monitor which had been last saved on 2 screens. I think this is not relevant of "losing windows" with SONAR, but have seen this on Win10 (NOT using SONAR) for older programs. Even the main app if opened on the now non-existing second monitor "disappears." Simply shifting to an extended configuration and moving them all back to one (if intended), then saved will address this. This is also why I keep the main SONAR app on the main monitor regardless.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account