2016/07/26 22:33:43
bayoubill
Ia it better to close everything down at the end of the day and turn of my PC or better to go onto sleep mode? I seen articles but not sure which has less wear and tear on a computer. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks for any help!
2016/07/26 23:07:46
gswitz
I measured amps on my gear and figure it probably costs one hundred USD per year to leave it on.
2016/07/26 23:57:43
ampfixer
I would shut it right down. We all need a rest.
2016/07/27 00:25:42
bayoubill
Thanks for the quick responses! I had read some where that it's better to leave it on but that's been a while back. I forget the reasoning but it makes sense to me to give it a rest at the end of the day
2016/07/27 06:45:40
ston
Bear in mind that 'Shutdown' on Windows 10 does not truly shut down, it hibernates, but it is actually 'off' power-wise.  If you've e.g. configured Wake On LAN then there may be some very minimalist power consumption by the PHY of the NIC, but so trivially small that it's not worth worrying about.

I've found the biggest power consumption culprits when everything is 'switched off' to be certain wall warts and line lumps which generate a surprising amount of heat even though the thing they are ostensibly powering is off.  I think the technical reason for them doing this is "really crap design".

I have a somewhat terrifying 36 mains plugs/adapters all sourced from a 2-plug wall outlet, but it gives me an easy way of removing mains source power from absolutely everything when it's time to shut down.
2016/07/27 07:27:54
Bristol_Jonesey
On the few occasions I've tried Sleep Mode I discovered that not everything would Wake Up properly, so I ALWAYS switch everything right off at the end of a session.

I have my Computer, Audio & Video Monitors and Interface connected to a UPS.

The UPS, along with all the rest of the peripheral gear (rack equipment, lighting, minidisc player, cassette deck, Mic Pre etc) is connected to the mains by way of standard distribution blocks in a Star System

Once the monitors & pc are powered down, I simply shut down the UPS, then hit the wall switch.

2016/07/27 09:17:25
Mesh
Looks like I'm the odd man out here, but I've been leaving mine always on (possibly just old advice that never left). Now I'm rethinking if it's better to shut it off and only power it up when I'm at the DAW (which isn't daily)?? 
2016/07/27 10:03:55
scook
ston
Bear in mind that 'Shutdown' on Windows 10 does not truly shut down, it hibernates, but it is actually 'off' power-wise.

I thought this is the case only if the Fast Startup option is enabled. Disabling Fast Startup reverts Win10 to a regular cold start. I disabled Fast Startup after having start menu trouble one day. It boots fast enough from an SSD without it.

FWIW, I always shutdown at night and cold start every morning. I am less concerned about what cycling power does to the hardware than I am with a stable OS.

Everything is on UPS but the power switches for the DAW are after the UPS because the UPS also powers telco gear which does not power down at night.
2016/07/27 12:13:43
ston
Yeah that's true but I leave it enabled.  Never had any start menu issues, can't really see how they're related tbh.  Note that you'll still be cycling power even if fast startup is enabled, just that the machine's state is read from storage rather than built from the ground up again, that's the only difference really. 
2016/07/27 14:53:27
kitekrazy1
bayoubill
Thanks for the quick responses! I had read some where that it's better to leave it on but that's been a while back. I forget the reasoning but it makes sense to me to give it a rest at the end of the day

That's like the Mac/PC debate.   Off lets your components cool down.  If you have a high end gamer type rig I would turn it off a lot.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account