• Computers
  • Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll!
2016/07/27 16:04:57
elsongs
Just a show of hands, how many of you here are currently trying to beat the July 29 Windows 10 Free upgrade deadline at the last minute? :)

[raises hand]
2016/07/27 16:11:33
Mesh

Of course, my DAW has been Win 10 for about a year now.......the hand raise is for the family PC I've been lazy to upgrade.
2016/07/28 06:43:02
fireberd
Procrastinators abound.  I see several posts on the tenforums.com asking about how to get around the deadline. 
Wait until the last minute and some will not get the free upgrade. 
2016/07/28 07:30:49
AntManB
You can always upgrade to Windows 10 then revert to Windows 7 if things don't work out (if I recall correctly, it keeps the files necessary to undo the upgrade for 30 days).  That way the free Windows 10 license will be activated for reinstallation at a later date (e.g. when drivers become available, or whatever the issue is).

AMB

2016/07/28 08:43:52
fireberd
Considering Win 10 has been out (officially) for a year, there should not be any "new" drivers.  If a device needs a Win 10 driver and it hasn't been issued by now, it will never be issued.

2016/07/28 08:58:25
Mesh
Just need to make sure all your hardware has good driver support for Win 10.....(which I think the majority of vendors have already done this....YMMV).
2016/07/28 17:31:34
rivers88
My free FWIW upgrade tip...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3454861

2016/07/29 06:29:28
elsongs
Made the deadline! Got Win 10 up and running on a newer, larger SSD (and added a SATA hot swap in one of my 5.25" drive bays) a little past midnight this morning (Jul 29)! Also got new DAW desk furniture. I have Win 10 on my work computer, so it's not totally foreign to me.
2016/07/29 08:52:46
Mesh
Congrats Elson!!
With all those new additions, your DAW should be an even more fun place to hang out now.....right?  
2016/07/29 14:07:16
slartabartfast
I burned up five Win 8 Pro upgrade pre-order key codes that I bought but never installed in the past couple of weeks to clean install it on a small herd of old machines. Everything works, but the installer and Win 10 could not find a driver for the graphics card on the oldest machine. Fixed that with a Vista beta from the manufacturer.

My niece was over yesterday, and had never heard of the upgrade offer (does mostly cell phone browsing and email) and wanted me to help her upgrade her Win 8.0 laptop which apparently had not seen Windows update for a month of Sundays. To begin, although she had no less than five antivirus programs installed, she managed to collect a couple of dozen infected files. Then we started trying to get to 8.1---147 updates that took well over 5 hours to locate and download on my high speed connection. I assume that the update servers were taking a pounding.  Trying to use the automated get Windows 10\update this computer now resulted in another several hours of slow activity but no success. By then I was getting worried about the deadline. I used a usb drive on which I had the installer already, but made the mistake of  clicking the check for updates button during installation and the install went into checking for updates for several more hours. Cancelling the install left me watching the clean up screen for another hour and a half before I gave up. Finally I forced a reboot, and started again from the USB drive skipping the check for updates and everything went fine. Finished a good 22 hours before the midnight UTC 10 deadline with an activated Win 10 installation and her files intact except for the ones caught by the virus scan. Anyone who has not done this by now is probably SOL. Definitely use the media creation tool to make a USB drive and run it from there.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account