2015/11/22 16:04:12
letyourlightshine
I am editing some songs( like "aint no sunshine" for a client who uses them when he plays live.So I import the midi for the oings into cakewalk and it loads it with a tts-1 playing all the instruments.
I want to change the sound of the drum set first off,when  I choose a different drums set preset,as soon as I play the track it switches back to the old drum set.Not even sure if I can make that not happen.
Second is it possible to rouite the drum audio to its own audio track so I can process it on its own?
Thanks,I appreciate the help.
2015/11/22 18:32:14
scook
There might be some data at the beginning of the file which resets the synth. Check it out using the Event viewer.

TTS-1 is a 16 in x 4 out synth. The output assignments are found by clicking the system then options buttons on the TTS-1 UI. Each of the 16 tracks may be assigned to one of the 4 outputs. Either use the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog to setup the tracks or manually add the audio tracks and set the audio inputs as needed.

2015/11/22 21:27:06
BobF
Are you making patch changes via the TTS interface, or via the MIDI track controls?

Changes made via the MIDI track should stick

2015/11/23 11:12:49
Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
BobF
Are you making patch changes via the TTS interface, or via the MIDI track controls?

If there's a patch change at the very beginning of the track it will still reset. Easiest way to check is just to highlight the MIDI drum track and go to Views | Event List. You can then delete any patch changes there as scook mentioned. You could also insert Session Drummer/Studio Instruments Drum Kit/Addictive Drums and output the MIDI track to those which gives you a bit more flexibility than the TTS-1.
2015/11/23 16:00:59
letyourlightshine
Thanks for the response!In am doing a prosect for a sonar x3. He only has cakewalk plugs and has sonar x3.He doesnt know alot about using it either,he is using it to play songs that he and some guys sing to,sometimes a guitar/bass plays along.I want to change the kit sound,and I oipened the event list but I am not sure which line is making it be the room kit.I guess I could change the sound of the kit on the midi track,would that be the best or easiest way,for him not me I mean.

2015/11/23 16:04:17
letyourlightshine
Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
BobF

I am working for a client who has sonar x3 so no addictive drums,I guess he has session drummer. That's an idea.As long as when he opens track all he has to do is playing it.He doesn't know much about DAW's. He actually wants to use ableton live more but he has the intro version or something,or maybe the next one after that.So one song needs a sax,and there is literally not one sax instrument,and he has no plugins.So I guess Ill do the job in sonar.

If there's a patch change at the very beginning of the track it will still reset. Easiest way to check is just to highlight the MIDI drum track and go to Views | Event List. You can then delete any patch changes there as scook mentioned. You could also insert Session Drummer/Studio Instruments Drum Kit/Addictive Drums and output the MIDI track to those which gives you a bit more flexibility than the TTS-1.

2015/11/23 23:45:02
letyourlightshine
scook
There might be some data at the beginning of the file which resets the synth. Check it out using the Event viewer.

TTS-1 is a 16 in x 4 out synth. The output assignments are found by clicking the system then options buttons on the TTS-1 UI. Each of the 16 tracks may be assigned to one of the 4 outputs. Either use the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog to setup the tracks or manually add the audio tracks and set the audio inputs as needed.

That makes sense,thanks for the picture,that was very helpful.Where are the four outputs though?Lets say you have 16 midi tracks assigned to all 16 channels on tts-1,If you create an instrument track then soon all four outputs come out on the same track?How can you have sone of them go to audio tracks for separate processing?Thanks for your help.

2015/11/24 00:39:18
scook
The assignment to the 4 outputs is made in the output assignment tab in TTS-1 shown in the image above. If you are working with an existing instrument track or Audio+MIDI track, to hear the result of the assignment, additional audio tracks need to be added to the project. Adding additional audio track to TTS-1 is the same whether using an instrument track or and Audio+MIDI track. Add the audio track(s) to the project assigning the input of the audio track(s) to a TTS-1 output.

The synth can be setup with all four audio tracks all at once when inserting the TTS-1 in the project by using the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog selecting the "MIDI Source" and "All Synth Audio Outputs: Stereo."

You still need open the TTS-1 UI and assign which of the 16 MIDI channels (called PARTS in the TTS-1 image above) go to the 4 audio outputs.
2015/11/24 10:55:35
BobF
Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
BobF

There are a couple of projects I'm working on where I do exactly what you described - start with TTS, then migrate to other VSTi one by one.

I grabbed a MIDI file with known patch change info included and brought it in.  It went to separate tracks as it should (6).  I've selected the MIDI for each in turn to find the patch changes in the event list.  I don't see the changes even though they are obviously there as changes in TTS reset every time I restart the transport.

I've triple checked filters and even selected only patch changes ... the event list still looks empty.

I'm sure this is simple, but it's whipping my *** right now.  Any suggestions?

2015/11/24 12:30:18
BobF
OK ... mystery solved.  When using GM MIDI files (which I'm apparently doing), the rules can change a bit.

Found this excerpt in online help which explains why I can't find the events in event viewer:

"When loading a GM file, each track’s bank, patch, volume and pan parameters are lifted from the data stream and placed in SONAR’s Track view for you to see and edit on-screen."

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=MIDI_Files.6.html

So if you're bringing in GM MIDI files, use the MIDI track controls as shown above.  If not, the event list is where you can make the changes.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account