2016/07/24 16:52:42
kitekrazy1
I go for the ones with better warranty.  Whether one drive performs better than another I wouldn't know unless using a benchmark app.  Using real everyday apps I couldn't tell the difference.

Shop places.  I bought a SanDisk 240 with a 10 year warranty for under $120.  I have an Intel 480 I got for about the same price.

If you do gaming a 480gb is necessary since game developers are all about bloat and less about optimization.

I couldn't imagine using a 120 for DAW.
2016/07/25 12:30:35
ØSkald
for m.2 check that your m.2 on the motherboard is connected to the PCIe alone, and not chairing the channels with other drives. i had problem with a Gigabyte motherboard. now i have a ASUS mobo, and gets the speeds i want.
2016/07/27 02:39:46
VanessaJ
denverdrummer

The EVO's are a great product ...

... nothing wrong with MLC, it's what I have, but I only use it for OS/Applications.  I use a good old 7200rpm to record to, it works fine and is plenty fast for recording.  YOU can certainly record to a MLC, just have a backup solution in place and do it regularly.

Also agree that the Samsungs are a great product for the price.

Good luck!

Same here ... I have a Samsung EVO (500GB) that I use for OS/Applications and I write everything to a separate 7200rpm hard drive. It's a great, stable set up and, with the SSD, everything loads super fast.

If you're budget-limited, then yes ... the Samsung EVO is my recommendation.

2016/07/27 06:29:31
ston
Proper long term use in the field data analysis by Graungroolz suggests that, like for platter drives, it's time in use not amount of use which is the lifetime limiting factor of flash drives.  Something of the order of 5-6 years' heavy drive enclosure (i.e. data centre) use, perhaps longer, but certainly far less than the predicted life time which is predicated solely on running out of write cycles/wear levelling.

F'rinstance, if you hammered a 64GB flash drive continually at 80MB/s, you'd run out of write endurance after about 51 years.  The drive will almost certainly fail before then, but not due to the re-write limitations, just auld age.

+1 for Samsung btw
2016/07/27 14:25:24
Jeffiphone
Don't wanna hijack the OP's thread......but my IT guy said a 256GB SSD would be perfect for running Sonar (along with Windows 10). He's not a musician, nor familiar with recording software. So wanted to check here first before he installs it.

Is 256GB enough? Or should I opt for and SSD with more? FWIW, I don't use loops often, so all them are on my external HD. So basically, my machine is 99% used for Sonar Platinum.

Thanks so much.

~Jeff
2016/07/27 14:39:52
elsongs
Jeffiphone
Don't wanna hijack the OP's thread......but my IT guy said a 256GB SSD would be perfect for running Sonar (along with Windows 10). He's not a musician, nor familiar with recording software. So wanted to check here first before he installs it.

Is 256GB enough? Or should I opt for and SSD with more? FWIW, I don't use loops often, so all them are on my external HD. So basically, my machine is 99% used for Sonar Platinum.

Thanks so much.

~Jeff

256GB should be good enough. I have 128GB on mine and the drive is 70% full (Granted, I'm still on Windows 7 and Sonar X3e). I did end up buying a Samsung 850 PRO SSD that's 512GB, which I managed to get at my local Fry's for just $188 the other week. It's more than enough, but you figure an excess of drive space would go into the virtual memory cache anyway.

2016/07/27 14:41:44
Jeffiphone
elsongs
Jeffiphone

Thanks so much.

~Jeff

256GB should be good enough. I have 128GB on mine and the drive is 70% full (Granted, I'm still on Windows 7 and Sonar X3e). I did end up buying a Samsung 850 PRO SSD that's 512GB, which I managed to get at my local Fry's for just $188 the other week. It's more than enough, but you figure an excess of drive space would go into the virtual memory cache anyway.

Right on! Thanks for reply Elson.
2016/07/27 14:42:52
Mesh
Jeffiphone

Thanks so much.

~Jeff

If you use the SSD for only OS and all your software, that should work out really well (I currently have a 256 GB SSD for this). If you have large sample libraries, you'd definitely need a separate/larger drive. What has worked well for me is a 3 drive setup......

C: 256 GB SSD (OS & Software)
D: 1 TB HDD (Sonar Projects)
E: 1 TB HDD (synth/audio samples)

I also have a 3 TB external drive to back up all of that.

2016/07/27 14:45:38
Jeffiphone
Mesh
Jeffiphone

Thanks so much.

~Jeff

If you use the SSD for only OS and all your software, that should work out really well (I currently have a 256 GB SSD for this). If you have large sample libraries, you'd definitely need a separate/larger drive. What has worked well for me is a 3 drive setup......

C: 256 GB SSD (OS & Software)
D: 1 TB HDD (Sonar Projects)
E: 1 TB HDD (synth/audio samples)

I also have a 3 TB external drive to back up all of that.

Cool. Thanks Mesh. That's great news! Can't wait to get my machine back.

~Jeff
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account