• Computers
  • Trying to clone disk and upgrade to W10. WRM and GPT??? (anyone?) (p.2)
2016/07/20 19:26:56
jbow
Hey Dave, let me know how it goes. I went with the clone because I couldn't find an option for a disk image. As I said, I'm not too worried, I expect W-10 to install and work. I expect that the clone will work too
BTW, where is the disk image option in Acronis, I will use it in the future to backup once W10 is installed and working and to backup my samples and project drives.
I'll have to study more before doing my laptop, I'm sure it is BIOS. Also, Acronis, even though I went with "manual" decided to stay with WRM, I guess since the partitions are smaller than 2TB that is ok... heck, IDK. I'm just clicking and hoping but W10 on my laptop has been really good.
If I have to buy another drive to image the laptop I'll do that. It is 500GB and running out of space. It has about 20GB left so I want to image or clone it and get a bigger laptop drive then put it back just like it is.. if I can. It seems impossible or at least improbable to me but they say it can be done. User error is my biggest concern, ignorance if you will....
Thanks and I hope all goes well for you. When I upgraded this laptop from W-7 to W-10, it went without a hitch. I didn't backup anything. It just worked.

J
2016/07/20 19:58:00
jbow
Everything seems OK so far. I had left the USB3 dock with the 3TB drive plugged in and on. I think the computer tried to boot from it and started to get errors and went into REPAIR. I turned the USB hub off and then the DAW started up just fine. I checked Platinum and it seems fine, still loads quick, updated CCC, loaded the new Themes feature. Now I'm downloading W-10 and going to install it. Then I'll take a look and see what is on the Clone drive.
So far so good. I knew it would not boot from a USB drive so that isn't a problem.

J
2016/07/20 20:11:17
dwardzala
The disk image is just the back up.  Clone is in the tools menu.  A disk image ends up being smaller than the actual drive.  I'm currently 90% installed.
2016/07/21 00:45:37
Jim Roseberry
FWIW,
For this purpose (a backup of your existing OS install), I'd use the Backup (image file) feature of True Image.

A "clone" would be useful for making an exact copy of your boot drive.
Say... to have a spare boot-drive sitting on a shelf... just in case anything happened to the original boot drive.
You could swap the clone for the original boot drive... and be back up-and-running immediately.

With a backup image file, you could do something very similar.
Install a fresh/new drive (that will be the new boot drive)... and use True Image to load the backup image file onto this new drive.

2016/07/21 14:56:20
Moshkito
Hi,

I'm not the expert here, and won't try to suggest that. But I have a question or two.

Why are you worried about an "image"? 
1. An image includes everything and the kitchen sink. On a backup, you do not need Windows, the programs, and all the other garbage that is in your computer. 

2. Why not, just make sure that all your work is on the other drive, and all the files pertinent, and please note that every program creates their "own" location (I do not allow that, btw!!!!!!!!), and you just need to check the settings on the 5 or 6 programs that you have, re-open them, and them have that piece of music (let's say) be saved over THERE, on the other drive, and then you can re-check it, and remove the one in the bad location.

3. I only have 2 locations for all my work. "Files" and "Writing" ... and they have their subdivisions within for various uses. The only thing I really need to backup in my computer is those two things.

4. VST's on my computer. A copy of them all is on my locations. Again, anything created with them, and saved is in the Files locations.

In my way of seeing, and YES, I DO NOT have as much music and stuff as you guys do, making sure that things are all in a central location, will save you a lot of time, space and hassle, and not have to deal with compatibility issues. Not to mention crashes.

In my case, I have copies of those 2 locations in 2 other machines ... Files 2 and Files 3 and Writing 2 and Writing 3. So when I go to the lake, for example, I plug in the laptop, turn on the network and then copy the Writing stuff over. When returning I can do the same to the original. I guess I'm not as diligent at copying the folders, but in general, every Sunday night I burn 15 minutes to make sure I am backed up. I can also put these on a CD, if needed.

When you setup W10, it will create a return point, and it should (should!) be able to return everything back to what it was. But I would make sure and cover your own work. You can reinstall a program or two ... but redoing your work can be a hassle, as you feel you lost too much.

Losses are interesting for me. When I let them go, guess what? I gained more and something else in return. Don't ask me to explain that.
2016/07/21 17:30:54
Jim Roseberry
One would assume that the OP already has a backup of his data.   

The reason for the backup Image file... is to backup the existing OS (just in case).
There's a 99.9% chance he won't need that backup of the existing OS install... but it's better safe than sorry.

I don't recommend using backup image software for data.
Adds an unnecessary extra layer of complexity.
Just drag/drop to backup project data...

2016/07/21 18:28:40
jbow
The upgrade went well. It went quickly. Everything I've tried opens at least. I hid Cortana. I would like to delete Cortana, I guess I'll have to Google that.
It also seems to have installed Windows Defender. I do not want anti-virus software on my DAW, however it does not show up in APPs or Programs (where you uninstall). Does anyone know how to get rid of these. I think I managed with all the security, location off, stuff like that etc. I think I'll be able to delete the clone of Windows 8.1

Thanks all.

Julien
2016/07/21 18:39:35
jbow
Jim Roseberry
FWIW,
For this purpose (a backup of your existing OS install), I'd use the Backup (image file) feature of True Image.

A "clone" would be useful for making an exact copy of your boot drive.
Say... to have a spare boot-drive sitting on a shelf... just in case anything happened to the original boot drive.
You could swap the clone for the original boot drive... and be back up-and-running immediately.

With a backup image file, you could do something very similar.
Install a fresh/new drive (that will be the new boot drive)... and use True Image to load the backup image file onto this new drive.

Thanks Jim... yeah, I've been slack but I haven't done much lately.
Two questions.
1: Is an initialization of a new drive the same thing as formatting? So if I delete the clone of the W8 drive will I need to reformat the 3TB drive and re initialize it to use it to backup my W10 C drive, Samples drive, and projects drive?
2: If I make a clone of my W10 C drive (OS/programs drive) will I need to, or should I update it from time to time and is this something I can do. Sorry to be such a dummy.

Thanks!
Julien 
2016/07/21 18:41:23
MrMook
Here's a link to get rid of some of the Win 10 apps. I don't see Cortana in the list.

http://www.tenforums.com/...dows-10-a.html
2016/07/21 19:14:38
dwardzala
Julien, glad your upgrade went well.  Mine took forever.  It was at 99% this morning (95% when I went to bed last night) and I was expecting to see it there when I got home from work, but it did finally complete.  My important things seem to be working e.g. my audio interface (which was why I delayed the updgrade until now), Sonar and iTunes.  I am not too concerned about my web browsers.   Other than a really slow process, it was fairly straight forward.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account