• Computers
  • Trying to clone disk and upgrade to W10. WRM and GPT??? (anyone?) (p.3)
2016/07/22 10:08:17
jbow
God Dave!

Thanks Mook.
I found a link on how to get rid of Defender. I think I'm rid of Weather. I'm wondering if I should keep Defender and just turn it off when I use Sonar. The only other things I do on the DAW is downloading programs, samples, and Sonar related stuff, no email or anything). Maybe Defender wont be a problem if I turn it off... then again, I read that it will turn itself back on if not used for a while.
J
2016/07/22 10:22:18
fireberd
Windows Defender is the free Anti Virus.  I've been using it for years (and the last year on Win 10).  It does not interfere with Sonar (at least not mine).  I do disable the internet (Ethernet) when I do anything with Sonar.  However, on occasion I have forgot to disable it and nothing happened (interference) in Sonar.

2016/07/22 10:39:16
BobF
jbow
God Dave!

Thanks Mook.
I found a link on how to get rid of Defender. I think I'm rid of Weather. I'm wondering if I should keep Defender and just turn it off when I use Sonar. The only other things I do on the DAW is downloading programs, samples, and Sonar related stuff, no email or anything). Maybe Defender wont be a problem if I turn it off... then again, I read that it will turn itself back on if not used for a while.
J

Defender (8.1) has a place to specify exclusions.  I excluded Sonar back when the huge Rap Pro libraries were slow loading.  Excluding Sonar sped that up considerably.

Point is you can keep Defender from interfering without turning it off/on ... a pain to remember for me
2016/07/22 11:53:00
Jim Roseberry
jbow

Thanks Jim... yeah, I've been slack but I haven't done much lately.
Two questions.
1: Is an initialization of a new drive the same thing as formatting? So if I delete the clone of the W8 drive will I need to reformat the 3TB drive and re initialize it to use it to backup my W10 C drive, Samples drive, and projects drive?
2: If I make a clone of my W10 C drive (OS/programs drive) will I need to, or should I update it from time to time and is this something I can do. Sorry to be such a dummy.

Thanks!
Julien 

Hi Julien,

No, initialization of the drive doesn't create a partition or format it.  You'll still need to partition/format.

You can update the cloned Win10 OS/Programs drive from time-to-time.
FWIW, I wouldn't worry about that.
If you need the cloned Win10 disk... you can install it and update Win10 at that time.
2016/07/24 16:13:43
kitekrazy1
Seems like people wanted to turn this into a rocket science.
I never had an issue with all versions of True Image.
For what it's worth I had a W7 machine with True Image 2010 Home.  I upgrade to 10 to get my free upgrade and reverted it back to 7 with the same software.
I never had a problem cloning.
2016/07/24 20:13:45
slartabartfast
jbow
God Dave!

Thanks Mook.
J

Absolutely keep defender, and just turn it off it becomes a problem. It is free, it works pretty well and it is compatible with Windows. What more do you need for a system as minimally exposed as you describe?

p.s. Run Windows from a user account not an administrator account.

p. p. s. How do you turn off the weather? Waaay too hot today for me. 
2016/07/25 01:11:06
kitekrazy1
You can choose what Defender scans. Usually the best thing is to set it not to scan itself. BTW it is not a resource intensive app.
2016/07/27 15:58:22
jbow
Thanks all...

J
2016/07/28 11:09:06
Jim Roseberry
kitekrazy1
For what it's worth I had a W7 machine with True Image 2010 Home.  I upgrade to 10 to get my free upgrade and reverted it back to 7 with the same software.

FWIW, If you've used True Image for years, it's child's play.   
For someone new to the process, they just want to be sure they get it right.

I've used True Image hundreds of times (myself and for clients) over the past 12 years.
Never had an issue.  It's never failed...
2016/07/28 11:09:09
Jim Roseberry
kitekrazy1

FWIW, If you've used True Image for years, it's child's play.   
For someone new to the process, they just want to be sure they get it right.

I've used True Image hundreds of times (myself and for clients) over the past 12 years.
Never had an issue.  It's never failed...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account