2015/11/04 13:29:16
dewdman42
I just bought the Rapture Pro upgrade on (OSX 10.9).  I was able to install and authorize it using Command Center no problem.  I accepted the default location for the two folders mentioned in Command center.  

/Users/Shared/Cakewalk Content/Cakewalk Sample Data/  (has multi samples, LFO's and tunings)

and

/Users/Shared/Cakewalk Content/Rapture Pro/      (has programs and everything else)

Rapture Pro works fine with all the standard Factory content that is included with Rapture Pro.   However my preexisting 3rd party expansions are not recognized.   For example, Universal 120 expansion, was installed previously with Rapture 1.x and is located under:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Rapture Content/

And under the old Rapture, the programs and multi samples are all contained under that one common folder, not split into two separate folders as they are in Rapture Pro.

I have tried to copy some of the files from the old location to the new locations, but it doesn't always work right, it seems often times the multi-samples can't be found.

Please advise, what is the proper procedure to get legacy expansion packs to be recognized by Rapture Pro?

I like that this is formally supported product finally and 64bit and I do l like some aspects of the new guy, even though its kind of "blurry" compared to the old one, its a better GUI no doubt and I like that DimPro content and Rapture content is all consolidated into one engine.  This is all nice stuff, but the fact that my expansions are not recognized is a big deal.  I may try to figure out how to install Rapture 1.x again.  Its definitely possible to do that, I had it working before on 10.9 using a 32bit bridge...the only reason I really paid to upgrade was to have a supported product and 64bit more than anything.  But if its not going to use my expansions that I paid money for, then its not of use to me.

Any advise for how to get Universal 120 working in here?   There is another freebie 3rd party expansion too, can't remember the name right now, but I really want that one working too.  

2015/11/04 14:00:08
scook
You might want to contact CW support directly http://www.cakewalk.com/Contact/TechnicalSupport also fisound could help http://fisound.com/contact/. There are a few Mac users who post here but you might get faster results going directly to support.
2015/11/04 14:04:47
dewdman42
Ok but I'm hoping for some explanation about how Rapture Pro uses the folder structure and how Progs find multi samples, etc.  And what is the proper way to get ANY 3rd party legacy expansions working, not just that one.  
2015/11/04 14:13:39
scook
I can tell you how it all works in Windows but I don't think that will help. Rapture Pro also has phone support, the contact info is here http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Contact

FWIW, I am sure when you figure out how to re-integrate one expansion pack, the others will work the same.
2015/11/04 14:15:12
dewdman42
any insights you can provide, including the way it works on windows will be helpful.
2015/11/04 14:38:33
scook
OK

RPro uses Windows registry entries to point to legacy installations of DPro and Rapture. During the RPro installation process the existing DPro and Rapture registry entries
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\dp\Multisamples Folder"
and
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\rp\Multisamples Folder"
are read and their values are added to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture Pro\2.0\Dim Multisamples Path"
and
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture Pro\2.0\Rap Multisamples Path."
By default DPro always has a "Multisamples Folder" in the registry. Rapture does not so the "Content Folder" key may be used instead. These paths are used along the the RPro mutltisample path for finding samples and sfz files loaded by the RPro programs.

Also the installer imports the programs files from
"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs"
and
"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture\Programs"
adding them to folders in the RPro program path. The default location is
"C:\Cakewalk Content\Rapture Pro\Programs"

U120 also has a fully populated LFO Waveforms folder in Rapture, the default location is
"C:\Program Data\Cakewalk\Rapture\LFO Waveforms"
and quite a few files in the EG and SG folders
"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture\EG"
and
"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture\SG"
which do not get touched during the RPro installation. So they need to be manually copied to access them. Keeping in mind there are a fixed number of slots available in the synth for the contents of the "LFO Waveforms" folder.

HTH
2015/11/04 16:13:13
dewdman42
That's good information, thanks for sharing.  Its possible that the installation requires Rapture 1.x to be presently installed in order to properly find, move or rename existing expansions I guess.  I did not have Rapture 1.x actually installed anymore, I just had the libraries present in the expected location where they were installed.  On OSX that kind of information is likely in the /Library/Preferences/com.cakewalk.Rapture.plist file, Assuming its still there.  So in theory, the OSX installer might have done something smart if that plist file was there ahead of time which it wasn't.

Universal 120 comes in a package installer and basically if I try to run that package installer it will install various related files under /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Rapture Content/.  So if I try to use their installer to a clean Rapture Pro installation with no traces of Rapture 1.x around..it isn't going to work.

Near as I can tell the installer did not copy over programs from the old place to the new place...it just installed all the new stuff and completely ignored the existing old data dir.

I didn't know the Universal 120 LFO waveforms were new, for some reason they are named the same as the ones that come with Rapture, so I assumed they are the same.  Sounds like they are drop in replacements for the factory LFO's?

I will look at this a little more tonight to see if I can figure it all out, but it sounds like manually moving my expansions is the right ticket, I just need to understand what to move where.  

thanks
2015/11/04 16:29:30
scook
I do not think Rapture needs to be installed. Are you using the new U120 installer in the Command Center? If not and you are using an installer supplied by fisound, consider contacting fisound for an updated installer.
2015/11/04 16:32:16
scook
I would guess if you manually copy the programs and samples/sfzs into the RPro paths, it should pick them up.
2015/11/04 16:50:51
dewdman42
I have contacted fisound already.  I did buy directly from them once upon a time.  Maybe they will send an updated installer.  I was able to get some programs working already by moving programs and multis underneath the new RPro folder.  Still need to make sure I'm moving all the EG, SG and LFO stuff also the right way.

I also want a better understanding of the issue so that I can move some other freebie stuff I have and just to know in general how it works so I can troubleshoot it myself in the future rather then just rely on the manufacturer to send me a black box installer that just does what its supposed to do and other stuff with less support I will still not know what to do.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account