• Software
  • Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface (p.2)
2018/04/01 09:38:05
Strryder
There is also a program called MultiTrackStudio, the lite version is free, it can only do 3 mono or stereo tracks and 2x2 I/O, I just installed it and the 32 bit version is only 10.5mb.
2018/04/01 15:26:43
abacab
Tracktion T6 is free, and is a fully functioning DAW recording program.  The installer is only 9MB, so it is very light.  It runs on my Windows 10 system using <60MB RAM with an empty project open and no plugins.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

Installers available in either 32-bit or 64-bit.  Support for VST plugins included, but you will need JBridge to run 32-bit plugs in the 64-bit host.

Probably way better than Audacity for what you want to do. 
2018/04/01 19:11:42
cparmerlee
Strryder
There is also a program called MultiTrackStudio, the lite version is free, it can only do 3 mono or stereo tracks and 2x2 I/O, I just installed it and the 32 bit version is only 10.5mb.

That looks like exactly what I need.  I installed the Lite version.  Under Studio - Devices, I can select
Driver type: Windows
Audio-In Device: Microphone (ULM200D Wireless Receiver)

All of that is correct.  But when I add an audio track, the Input button remains gray, indicating no audio devices are available.  In other words, the program sees my mics but I can't get it to use them.

MultiTrackStudio does recognize and record from my Samson wireless mic.  I can see the waveform available for edit.  But I can't play back anything.  Even when I explicitly select the output device to the be the Intel SST audio device (built-in) it says "the selected Audio/MIDI devices cannot playback or record these tracks."

If everything worked, this would be a great little program.  These things all worked automatically on Audacity.

====

Update: In selecting devices, there is an option to select Windows XP mode instead of Windows 10.  The vendor doesn't recommend this because of latency.  Latency is not an issue in my case because I would just be doing a simple live recording and probably not doing any multi-tracking (at least for now).

Bandlab ought to buy this program, or at least work with the vendor to synchronize with the Bandlab cloud.
I think I'll try this program a few times with that pair of Behringer wireless USB mics.  If that works out, then I might get a Blue Yeti mic to keep in my car.  That would be more flexible in most cases, being switchable between stereo (for ensembles) and bi-directional (for inerviews)
https://www.bluedesigns.c..outube-and-podcasting/#
2018/04/01 20:42:19
cparmerlee
abacab
Tracktion T6 is free, and is a fully functioning DAW recording program.  The installer is only 9MB, so it is very light.  It runs on my Windows 10 system using <60MB RAM with an empty project open and no plugins.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

Installers available in either 32-bit or 64-bit.  Support for VST plugins included, but you will need JBridge to run 32-bit plugs in the 64-bit host.

Probably way better than Audacity for what you want to do. 

Yes.  I like that better than MultiTrackStudio.  This worked great out of the box.  This seems a little easier to navigate with the touch screen compared to MultiTrackStudio.

With both programs, I found it difficult to get a proper recording level setting, but I think I can find a Windows setting that will work OK for most settings, so I shouldn't have to change that much.  And if I get the Yeti, it has a volume control built into the mic.

I thank everyone here for the insights and suggestions.  I do hope that Bandlab gives a serious look at supporting an offline Windows app that links back to their cloud.  I know the Surface is not as common as an iPad or Amdroid pad, so I'm not saying it is a bad decision to start with apps for iPad and Android.  But as this thread shows, there are some great lightweight Windows-based products that would be perfect for Bandlab to partner with or acquire to fill out their product line.  I don't think it is reasonable to assume a person will always be network-connected, and able to use the Chrome-mode.
2018/04/01 21:22:20
Grem
I have SPlat, Reaper, and Studio One 3 all installed on my surface pro 3 (in sig)

Using a Berringer UM2 with the Surface I can easily record one trk at a time, playing into an amp sim (different ones) with this setup. And play it back and record another take on another trk (using amp sims) without a problem. 

My Surface is only 128gb and I have installed a 128gb SD card. SPace is at a premium. SO I have a 2TB external drive that I use with it.

With the i7/8gb ram in here, there is not much I can't do with it. It has surprised the hell out of me to be honest. 
2018/04/01 21:49:32
abacab
From what I have seen, Tracktion and Reaper appear the have the lightest footprint as far as general DAWs go. There may be others...

But Tracktion is simple to configure and record tracks out of the box, and mostly intuitive until you want to dig in deeper.  There isn't much it cannot do, and the newer Waveform versions with the detachable mixer window that you can put on a 2nd tab, or another monitor, is a nice touch. 

Reaper seems to require a steeper learning curve, but patience can be rewarded because it can be customized to do nearly anything.  That said, in between opening Reaper sessions I always forget how I did stuff the last time (even some of the basics, like routing) so often a revisit to the manual is required.

I have been using Tracktion Waveform as a secondary DAW for a year, and it is easy to slip back into, without needing to hit the books again! 

I have also heard of a few folks using Sonar Home Studio as a lightweight alternative to Platinum on their laptops.
2018/04/01 21:51:46
cparmerlee
Grem
I have SPlat, ... installed on my surface pro 3 (in sig)
My Surface is only 128gb and I have installed a 128gb SD card.
 With the i7/8gb ram in here, there is not much I can't do with it. It has surprised the hell out of me to be honest. 

Well, maybe Bandlab should produce a small footprint version of SONAR targeting the Surface and other Windows laptop/notebooks.  In other words, a full function SONAR for the fully equipped studio / final production.  And a "portable SONAR" mainly for the creative end of the spectrum.
2018/04/01 21:55:47
abacab
cparmerlee

Well, maybe Bandlab should produce a small footprint version of SONAR targeting the Surface and other Windows laptop/notebooks.  In other words, a full function SONAR for the fully equipped studio / final production.  And a "portable SONAR" mainly for the creative end of the spectrum.

Sonar Home Studio probably fits that out of the box.  With a little tweaking it might be perfect.

As is, Home Studio skips the Pro Channel, aux tracks, and synth rack.  Things you really don't need until you sit down in the studio to mix.
2018/04/01 22:03:30
cparmerlee
abacab
As is, Home Studio skips the Pro Channel, aux tracks, and synth rack.  Things you really don't need until you sit down in the studio to mix.

Absolutely.  In the field, desktop real estate is at a premium.  You need every pixel to be productive.  I view the field as where you want to collect ideas and recordings, but really don't need to do major mixing, other than just for a quick demo.  If that "Home Studio" version automatically synced to the cloud, and the project was already on my "big SONAR" when I got home, that would be great.

At home I have unlimited storage, good monitors, with subs, and lots of glass (3 big monitors), and some FX that I might not ever want to use in the field (like Neutron or Melodyne). Other people have in their main studio control surfaces, outboard gear and other acoustic or MIDI instruments.  I definitely see the road as a completely different set of requirements from the main studio.  If it could all synchronize, that would be a dream.
2018/04/01 22:05:59
abacab
cparmerlee
abacab

Absolutely.  In the field, desktop real estate is at a premium.  You need every pixel to be productive.  I view the field as where you want to collect ideas and recordings, but really don't need to do major mixing, other than just for a quick demo.  If that "Home Studio" version automatically synced to the cloud, and the project was already on my "big SONAR" when I got home, that would be great.

At home I have unlimited storage, good monitors, with subs, and lots of glass (3 big monitors), and some FX that I might not ever want to use in the field (like Neutron or Melodyne). Other people have in their main studio control surfaces, outboard gear and other acoustic or MIDI instruments.  I definitely see the road as a completely different set of requirements from the main studio.  If it could all synchronize, that would be a dream.

Sounds like a feature request to me! 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account