• Software
  • Simple (I hope) question about Bandlab and Microsoft Surface (p.3)
2018/04/01 23:24:04
cparmerlee
abacab
Sounds like a feature request to me! 

Maybe something like an "installation template".  For me doing mainly live recording, I would only be interested in the mobile rig doing audio capture.  I wouldn't want any loops or MIDI instruments, and I wouldn't want most of the FX.  I'd want a basic verb, compressor, EQ and limiter.  For me, maybe that means I would ONLY want the prochannel strip + Concrete Limiter and none of the other VSTs.

For a person who wants to do composition away from home, there would probably be a different combination, but they still might want it to be a compact footprint.

2018/04/02 06:06:40
mudgel
Can’t you access BandLab.com via your browser?
2018/04/02 13:05:37
abacab
cparmerlee
I decided to go ahead and install the Bandlab Windows app. 

Well ...

I don't think there is one.  They say Bandlab works on all your devices, but evidently there are only special apps for Android and iPad.  It seems for all other platforms, you have to use the Chrome browser.  And that requires you to be online.

So much for Bandlab as the solution to this problem.  It would have been cool to be able to record into a Bandlab app on the Surface , then later connect to WiFi for those tracks to sync to the cloud, and then have them show up in SONAR when I get home.

2018/04/02 13:17:01
cparmerlee
mudgel
Can’t you access BandLab.com via your browser?

I believe I could install Chrome on the Surface and access Bandlab that way. 

There is some confusion about this.  In my case, the point is that I would be recording in the field, so I cannot count on a good WiFi connection, and really don't want network issues to affect whether or not I could get a good recording.  Simultaneous with this thread, I posted a similar question at the Bandlab Facebook bage and received this response:
Bandlab via Facebook
BandLab will run on your Surface 3 as long as you use our web app on Google Chrome. Though you can use the app both online and offline, we definitely recommend you using it online to get access to our online communities and loop packs!

I don't understand how this could possibly work offline.  I suppose there may be a way that Chrome could operate on cached objects, but if it needs something that hasn't been cached, I'd think this would fail.

Then Bandlab replied to another user saying
Bandlab via Facebook
BandLab needs an internet connection on Chrome so you can use it and isn't available offline

2018/04/02 14:38:12
pwalpwal
abacab
cparmerlee
I decided to go ahead and install the Bandlab Windows app. 

Well ...

I don't think there is one.  They say Bandlab works on all your devices, but evidently there are only special apps for Android and iPad.  It seems for all other platforms, you have to use the Chrome browser.  And that requires you to be online.

So much for Bandlab as the solution to this problem.  It would have been cool to be able to record into a Bandlab app on the Surface , then later connect to WiFi for those tracks to sync to the cloud, and then have them show up in SONAR when I get home.

too subtle?
2018/04/02 15:02:37
mettelus
cparmerlee

BandLab needs an internet connection on Chrome so you can use it and isn't available offline

I guess you can make assumptions on the demographic this targets.
2018/04/02 16:46:12
cparmerlee
mettelus
cparmerlee

I guess you can make assumptions on the demographic this targets.

I am not sure it is a demographic issue, although it could be.  It may be that in Singapore, free WiFi access is universally available, so folks there don't have any concept of being offline.

I haven't been to Singapore for 15 years, so I don't know for sure.  But if there is anyplace in the world with universal WiFi access, I bet it would be Singapore.
2018/04/02 21:37:12
mettelus
I get a bit curt when typing on my phone, but the comment regarding demographics is more that the platform seems to cater more to a "bedroom producer," i.e., potentially someone with only a wi-fi connection and access to Chrome (not that everyone has wi-fi in the field). For younger generations this would also imply a mobile device in many cases. The required internet access can be read into several ways, but it being "required" can be contested; especially now that companies are falling under the gun for collecting anything and everything they can, and newer mobile devices can utilize up to 2TB microSD chips (when they become available - right now they only make 512GB versions).

Social engineering is a concern on various levels, and the internet tends to be a common factor in almost all instances. A lot of folks unwittingly feed information in droves to collection servers by simply allowing an app to be installed in many cases, so this is where "internet connection required" stands out for me.

Anyway, off-the-cuff comment on my part. My apologies for the derailment.
2018/04/02 21:50:27
abacab
Privacy and security are now intertwined, for better or worse...

I think that an end user should be fully informed with any app when using connections that may 'share' personal info.

Having a convenient on/off toggle for 'sharing' or being 'online' is a must!  Burying these privacy details in a terms of service or license agreement is disgusting.  It should always be opt-in by default.

I am all for leveraging the conveniences of social media, but we must remain vigilant for those who would choose to exploit the increasing complacency of the connected masses.  /rant off ...
2018/04/02 22:41:51
cparmerlee
mettelus
Anyway, off-the-cuff comment on my part. My apologies for the derailment.

I didn't take that as curt, impertinent, or derailing.  I'm just saying that in some applications (like live recording on an event where you don't get a second chance), one cannot afford the idea of possibly being offline if that means the recording is interrupted or fouled in some way.  But the target audience may be people (particularly in a high-infrastructure place like Singapore) who come to think of the connection as being as good as universal.

Where I am, connectivity is anything but universal and I could never rely on a connection in any recording situation.  If I had grown up with virtually universal WiFi access, then maybe this wouldn't be front-of-mind for me.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account