2015/09/06 09:26:14
Soundwise
scook
Both RPro and Z3TA+2 have different UIs, additional content and demos
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Rapture/Try-Rapture 
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Z3TA/Web-Trial

Yeah, I've tried Rapture Pro demo. It comes with just a couple of "real" instruments heavily tweaked with some LFOs. Nothing exciting or useful. What I would like to know is what users say about how these newer instruments compare to their older versions. Like "the newer instrument is so much better [easier, more intuitive, etc.] than the old one", or "can't tell the difference between the two except for the GUI".

2015/09/06 10:50:49
AT
I don't know about the demo, but the real Rapt Pro has the entire library (as far as I can tell) for DimPro (as well as Rapture).  As well as new sample content and new patches.

The UI for Rapt Pro is about the same as Rapt, although there are more live controllers which I love.  The engine is the same - Renés SFZ.  There are step sequencers now for DimPro patches - which you seem to have noticed.

It is an evolutionary step between all three of the synths, and nice to have one synth to rule all the patches.  SFZ may not be as universal as Kontakt, but the content deal by adding Rapture Pro on sale for Cake users wouldn't buy much of a library for Kontakt, or Kontakt itself.

Personally, I use Rapt Pro (now) as a main synth on just about every project that needs a synth.  And for my own stuff, too, along w/ Alchemy and Kontakt.  It is equal to those, but different.

@
2015/09/06 12:44:43
Soundwise
AT
I don't know about the demo, but the real Rapt Pro has the entire library (as far as I can tell) for DimPro (as well as Rapture).  As well as new sample content and new patches.

So, basically, if I don't need more content or buy extra patches there's no point in getting this new gen synth?
ATIt is an evolutionary step between all three of the synths, and nice to have one synth to rule all the patches.

I agree, it's nice. Can I use one instance of RP and assign different patches to different MIDI channels?
I like the GUI and concept of this synth, just not sure how useful it can be, probably mostly because of the weird demo sounds. And not sure why would I need another synth that will double DimPro libraries.
Well, how about ZETA 2? Any obvious improvements?

2015/09/08 11:13:23
AT
I'm not sure what extra acoustic emulations RaptPro has over DimPro. 

I do know all the organs I expected in DimPro were actually thick as thieves in Rapture.  That is one aspect of RaptPro that is easy to overlook - having one synth to look though for needed programs instead of two.  Oh, shoot, that "Jimmy" organ patch is in Rapt not Dim.  It does save time whether you are looking for a specific sound or just browsing.  And there is plenty of new content in Rapture Pro that isn't in either DimPro or Rapture.  It comes w/ 12 gigs, which is a few gigs more than DimPro if I remember.  And it points to other libraries you may have bought.  If you can get it cheap right now it is a good investment for the long haul, if you are a synthesis.  If not, it might not be worth it.  If you are heavy into acoustic emulations for sound tracks etc. you just need to spring for Kontakt and some orch libraries (more of a giant leap than spring, since you'll be spending hundreds of dollars just to get up and running w/ a smaller library than Rapt.

Z3TA 2 does everything that Z3TA + did and has about the same # of extra programs.  It is a synth's synth, and if you are looking for an acoustic emulator you are barking up the wrong tree.  It has a few synth wave forms, not sample.  That being said, it isn't a great analog emulator either, being too cutting rather than round and smooth.  And many of the 2000 presets are more dance oriented.  However, it has a great mod matrix and I use it like a modular analog synth.  Z3TA 2 has a few more of this and that (and lots of new presets) but the outstanding feature for me is syncing the wave controllers to lfos etc. or playing them live.  It is kinda like wave-sequencing, in that you are manipulating the raw sound of the wave, rather than the subtraction part of analog synths.  Very cool, but I doubt you'll find a lot of acoustic uses for it.

@
2015/09/08 12:05:10
MGMitchell
Thanks for that review Mr. Tubbs. I'll be trying out the various acoustic emulators. I did find an acceptable strings model for the song I was working on..
2015/09/09 05:04:40
Soundwise
MGMitchell

I'm installing as I type.

So, what's the story? How's the overall impression? Do you find RaptPro more useful than DimPro?

2015/09/09 11:24:05
MGMitchell
So far I have only used DimPro and it did the job (strings) altho some tweaking was needed.
I'm trying to get used to the cheap Alesis QX25 keys and velocity sensitivity. (Guitar player, not a keyboarder)
I do see Rapture and Rapture LE in the list but haven't explored it yet.

Dim and Rap look similar so it should be ok for learning curves.

Is "Rapture" the same as Rapture pro?
2015/09/09 11:48:20
scook
Rapture is not Rapture Pro. It is an older product. If you have both Rapture and Rapture LE, forget about Rapture LE, it is essentially a Rapture preset player. As mentioned above Rapture is oriented more toward synth sounds.

Rapture Pro is a new synth which plays both DPro and Rapture presets. DPro and Rapture are no longer sold separately, they are only available bundled with SONAR. Rapture Pro is available as a paid upgrade to DPro and Rapture.
2015/09/09 13:45:35
MGMitchell
Well stated. Thanks, Steve

2015/09/27 18:46:32
methodman3000
I think you are confusing Rapture with Dimension Pro which is a Sampler playback unit basically.  Rapture is the synthesizer.  I am the opposite of you I want the synthesizer stuff to work and am not as interested in Samplers.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account