2016/05/20 08:53:12
jamesg1213
This started happening a few days ago, can't seem to pinpoint a pattern though. At random times I'm unable to access anything except my browser - file explorer, control panel, etc etc will not open. I can open programs (Sonar, Word etc), but getting anything else to open requires a restart, which hangs for 4-5 minutes. Didn't happen yesterday, but just happened about 10 minutes ago.

The only thing I've changed recently is to add a 16gb USB3 stick for back-ups.

Anyone else had this?
2016/05/20 10:03:57
TheMaartian
Q1: Do you have the USB3 stick attached when you boot up your PC?

Q2: Does the stick have any software on it that was installed the first time you attached it (like security/encryption)?

2016/05/20 11:12:58
Jim Roseberry
Do you have a backup image file of the OS (prior to this issue)?
If so, I'd reload from that backup image file...

Did you install any type of automated backup software?
That can cause issues.
Mac Drive (more so in the past) could cause odd issues.

2016/05/20 12:05:22
jamesg1213
TheMaartian
Q1: Do you have the USB3 stick attached when you boot up your PC?

Q2: Does the stick have any software on it that was installed the first time you attached it (like security/encryption)?

1. Yes

2. No software, just files
2016/05/20 12:09:23
jamesg1213
Jim Roseberry
Do you have a backup image file of the OS (prior to this issue)?
If so, I'd reload from that backup image file...

Did you install any type of automated backup software?
That can cause issues.
Mac Drive (more so in the past) could cause odd issues.

No backup image file, no automated backup software. Machine was a new build with W10 installed as of last November.

I'll try ejecting the USB stick. I'll also try uninstalling AVG, which has been giving me an upgrade pop-up (too regularly for my liking), which sometimes 'sticks' and can't be closed.
2016/05/20 12:15:13
TheMaartian
jamesg1213
No backup image file, no automated backup software. Machine was a new build with W10 installed as of last November.

I'll try ejecting the USB stick. I'll also try uninstalling AVG, which has been giving me an upgrade pop-up (too regularly for my liking), which sometimes 'sticks' and can't be closed.

You might want to get rid of AVG altogether and just use Windows Defender, which works sufficiently well with Win10.

Interested to know how it works with the stick out before booting up and then inserted after everything else checks out (assuming; hah!).
2016/05/20 12:22:27
jamesg1213
TheMaartian
jamesg1213

You might want to get rid of AVG altogether and just use Windows Defender, which works sufficiently well with Win10.

Interested to know how it works with the stick out before booting up and then inserted after everything else checks out (assuming; hah!).

I'll give both a go and report back, thanks. I've used AVG for many years but the latest version seems very intrusive and CPU hungry.
2016/05/20 19:59:43
kitekrazy1
Was this an OS upgrade?  Clean install?
 Create a new user, login and see if problems persist.
2016/05/21 08:06:30
jamesg1213
kitekrazy1
Was this an OS upgrade?  Clean install?
 Create a new user, login and see if problems persist.

Clean install. Took the USB stick out last night after I turned the PC off, same thing happened again about an hour ago. Just uninstalled AVG, will see if that makes any difference.

I also have a Toshiba external HD connected via USB2, I'm hoping that isn't starting to die, got a ton of stuff on there. Better do some back-ups I think...
2016/05/26 11:48:54
jamesg1213
Just an update, if anyone's remotely interested  Removing the USB drive didn't help, but haven't had a problem since I uninstalled AVG 4 days ago. Fingers crossed then.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account