• Software
  • Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2 - possible bug (?) SOLVED (p.2)
2017/08/27 22:44:34
smallstonefan
OK, I need to sit down and try what Kenny laid out. If it really works I would LOVE using midi guitar but so far latency gets me.

I wish they would do a version for UAD so it could run as a unison plugin! :)
2017/08/28 06:52:34
kennywtelejazz
OK here we go ,
There is absolutely no if , and's , and butts about it . What I am about to show you works .
I get the absolute best Results using Midi Guitar the way I'm going to show you  , not the way people suggest as per using Midi Guitar as a VST   track enabled synth ...
When I use it that way like other folks do I do it for a totally different reason.
(I will get into that at another time )...

OK here we go. For the squeamish  there are no hacks involved .This can be as easy as boiling a cup of water if you follow my directions
The only thing you may need if you don't already have it is this ...
  https://www.tobias-erichs...software/loopmidi.html

Lets begin ,
Once loop Midi has been installed you can set it up as a start up program or just like what I did here.
I placed loopmidi in in my lower task bar ..on my other computer I have it set up as a start program .
this is what it looks like when it starts up .

the next thing you need to do is to start Midi Guitar as run as admin ...
If you look closely at my pic you will see the area where you will need to set LOOPMIDI PORT 1 as your out put inside Mid Guitar.

BTW once you start Midi Guitar you can close down the loopmidi dialog box on your  desktop ...

OK that was the hardest part of this whole deal Crazy Huh ? 
All I want from you now is for you to do exactly what I am about to suggest  ....If you do what I am about to suggest you will be amazed ...that's a promise 

Open up SONAR , go to your start up menu and under templates choose Showcase Orchestral .
Create a new SONAR project using that template .

This is what you will probably see on your computer screen after having done that .

That sure looks pretty doesn't it ? Now dig this you can record all your midi using Midi Guitar from that view once you do the next thing I am about to show you ....
Lets head over into track view and unlock this puppy and have some real fun ...
See my pic , this is exactly how you set your DAW to receive Midi Data from Midi Guitar in Standalone Mode 

that's it , that's all you need to do
Dig this , you can now set all your tracks to receive Midi Guitar and have much better performance and latency  than had you placed it on a track as a synth enabled plug .
Once you have done what's in my pic for your inputs  you can go back into console view and just highlight a track to play the midi sound that is on it ... 
The can be alot of fun for grins and giggles if you want to play around getting used to playing with the sounds or if you want  You can even record from that view too...

Now If your still with me , here's the real kicker ...
Not only does this work great for SONAR , I use the same exact approach as what I'm explaining here for recording all my midi guitar playing inside of  Samplitude Pro X 2 , Ableton Live 9 , Harrison Mixbus 4 , BIAB, Traction 7 , Tracktion Waveform 8 , SONY Acid Pro 7, & Project 5 V 2.5 . This is just to name a few DAW's on the Windows side of my computing ...
Same goes for my Mac's ...this is how I use Midi Guitar in Logic 9 , GB , Tracktion 7 ,Harrison Mixbus 5 , & Ableton Live 9 ...

I'm real glad to have had the opportunity to drop a little hopefully useful info in this thread

all the best ,

Kenny

PS , once you have done this using the Orchestral Template I suggested you are now good to go ...
Use Midi Guitar anyway you want , I just wanted to make sure I showed those of you that are interested a fool proof approach and starting point for getting the results you are looking to get    

2017/08/28 13:27:51
smallstonefan
Thanks Kenny!

Unfortunately UAD continues to be a huge pain in my ass. Midi Guitar won't recognize the Asio driver. :/ Sonarworks Systemwide used to, and it stopped about a month ago. Both Sonar and Ableton work fine.

I have to sort out this dang Asio issue to move forward - and I REALLY want to try this!
2017/08/28 17:28:10
Mesh
Thanks Kenny for all the details on setting that up......very helpful indeed. You mentioned this setup earlier (in another thread), but I never got to try it out.

Appreciate all the tips.....mucho grande!!   
2017/08/28 20:30:38
bwbalint
Kenny,
I notice that you have your Focusrite Scarlett as your audio input/output in MidiGuitar 2.  Do you also use the Focusrite as the audio out in Sonar? For me, I am using a VS-100.  When it is set as the audio in/out in MidiGuitar 2, I get an error in Sonar saying that my audio device is already in use by another program.  Is that just peculiar to the VS-100?  Or is there a setting to share audio devices I am missing? Which I will look for any way!  Thanks! 
2017/08/28 20:56:41
smallstonefan
I was able to get this technique working with Ableton Live but not with Sonar. Still, WAY better tracking this way Kenny thanks! 

I'm going to play around with some settings and get this optimized. I see myself rendering the song to a file and having a very small project with that file and a synth and recording. This will require exporting the midi and/or audio and bringing back into Sonar, but I used to do the same the other direction with vocal takes so that's all good.

VERY encouraging! :)
2017/08/29 05:10:51
kennywtelejazz
bwbalint
Kenny,
I notice that you have your Focusrite Scarlett as your audio input/output in MidiGuitar 2.  Do you also use the Focusrite as the audio out in Sonar? For me, I am using a VS-100.  When it is set as the audio in/out in MidiGuitar 2, I get an error in Sonar saying that my audio device is already in use by another program.  Is that just peculiar to the VS-100?  Or is there a setting to share audio devices I am missing? Which I will look for any way!  Thanks! 

I happened to lookup your interface and it seems pretty interesting . Looks like it does everything .
Control surface , sound card , portable recorder , + more ...I wonder , does that play into the reason why you are having a lot of hoops to jump through? 

Here's a few pics in this post showing what my simple set up looks like .
I'm using my 2i4 as my only sound card . All on-board Windows sound devices have been disabled .
In Midi Guitar 2 you will see that has 2 main listings on the interface tab .
There is an Audi interface & a Midi Interface tab section  .
Under Audio you will see Focusrite Scarlet ASIO listed .Under Midi output , you will see LOOPMIDI PORT 1 listed ...
I like the fact that I can set my Audio latency to a lower value then what I have SONAR set too. 
In the pic you will also see my preference setting under Audio Device as it appears in SONAR .

In my second pic I have shown what is listed under The SONAR Midi Device section.
All these settings are pretty direct and simple ...simple enough even for a guitar player like me

I wish I could offer you more help ..if you have already tried everything to the best of your knowledge .
Consider contacting Jam Origin to see what they can suggest for you to do to get you up and running with your VS-100  .

all the best,

Kenny

2017/08/29 05:21:59
kennywtelejazz
smallstonefan
I was able to get this technique working with Ableton Live but not with Sonar. Still, WAY better tracking this way Kenny thanks! 

I'm going to play around with some settings and get this optimized. I see myself rendering the song to a file and having a very small project with that file and a synth and recording. This will require exporting the midi and/or audio and bringing back into Sonar, but I used to do the same the other direction with vocal takes so that's all good.

I saw both your posts , Oh Yeah James , I'm real glad you are making progress .
This whole Midi Guitar thing can be a Whole Universe Unto itself ...

all the best,

Kenny

2017/08/29 11:30:11
smallstonefan
kennywtelejazz
smallstonefan

I saw both your posts , Oh Yeah James , I'm real glad you are making progress .
This whole Midi Guitar thing can be a Whole Universe Unto itself ...

all the best,

Kenny

Kenny - we ever get to meet I owe you a drink! :) I have owned so many midi guitar devices and got rid of every single one of them - I have NEVER been able to fully enjoy the midi experience. I have had midi guitar for some time as well but again never could get acceptable latency in Sonar or Ableton.

you fixed that!

Last night I copped a buzz and just played with different synths, finally settling on Iris 2 and just clicking through the presets while playing. I had SO MUCH FUN! :) I just wrapped up my new song and I'm about to start another and it will be a new experiencing since I'll use midi guitar to start the creative process.

I know need to figure out how to incorporate this into my workflow - but that should just take a bit of experimenting.

Teaching me how to set it up this was truly a gift - THANK YOU!
2017/08/29 15:26:45
bwbalint
My guess is that the particular drivers for the VS-100 don't allow 2 programs to use the ASIO drivers at the same time.  I did email the folks at JamOrigin, and literally got their response within 45 minutes! Here it is:

'Hi Bart,
via loopmidi will never be faster then via loaded VST, which is the fastest method for use with DAW. Setting your DAW's audio settings to 256 or beneath ( beware of CPU overlaod there) will make it respond faster.
We don't know much about invidual ASIO driver's characteristics: most ASIO drivers allow more clients as far as we know.

Best,
Paul
Jam Origin'

I did go into Win10 audio properties and uncheck 'allow applications to take exclusive control of this device', but this doesn't seem to have done everything.  

So for now I will have fun playing with JamOrigin MIDI Guitar2 as a VST in Sonar Plt.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account