2018/04/13 12:55:33
thepianist65
Good monitors as an upgrade to my trusty Rokit 5's?  JBL LSR 308, Adam Audio, Yamaha, or something else? Looking for larger than 5 inch this time. Don't wanna break the bank, but willing to spend a bit for quality. Who's faves can be recommended? Thanks.
2018/04/13 14:49:31
fireberd
LSR308's.  There is a new version recently released.  
I had Samson Resolv 6.5a speakers and always had problems with the bass in the mix.  When I upgraded I went to the LSR308's because of the bass problems.  I've had these several years and almost always "nail" the bass the first mix.
2018/04/13 14:57:43
tobiaslindahl
I use Yamaha HS7, the HS8 is a bit too large for my room. Doubt that is much of an upgrade to what you have already though, seem to be in the same pricerange. 

Btw, anyone know a way to protect monitors from soundspikes, audio engine craches etc? 
2018/04/13 15:59:42
batsbrew
look at the new budget ADAMS......
in a 8"

2018/04/13 19:15:48
thepianist65
Will look at the Adams, thanks. I have heard lots of good things about the JBL's and they can be had for a discount at the moment, but I am willing to spend a bit more if I can get a discernibly better product.
2018/04/13 19:29:01
thepianist65
having read a review of the new Adams, they are a 7" model, and the review was very positive, although it said it was best for Rock music, and I do a pretty wide mix, including a lot of contemporary and other jazz stuff. But the price was really good considering they have Class D amps and other features the more expensive Adam monitors have. But I would guess you get what you pay for in some instances, but these might be a nice comparison with the JBL 308 model.
2018/04/13 22:48:45
poetnprophet
Have you considered the M-Audio BX8a?  They don't make them anymore, but I think there's a replacement or you can find some used or NOS.  I was in the market for new monitors last year.  I looked at Rokkit, JBL, Adams, and Yamaha.  I settled for the HS8s because I needed totally neutral monitors for mixing.  I also have an old pair of the BX8a's and for monitors with some "color", to me these have a very warm sound, nice low and tight highs. Not muddy like the Rokkits or JBL.  Adams sound slightly fuller, but are also more expensive.

Dave
2018/04/14 00:33:47
highlandermak
I've been eyeing the presonus eris studio series. I'm still using the first gen event 20/20s from 2002 lol
2018/04/14 04:17:58
Jim Roseberry
Yamaha HS7s with the sub

A client recommended I seriously check them out.  Wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
He's got a commercial studio with $20k monitors... and (ironically) prefers to mix on the HS7s.
Got a pair and the matching sub.  He was absolutely right.
Replaced my 20 year old Mackie HR824s.

2018/04/14 13:16:59
wst3
Last fall I picked up a pair of Presonus Sceptre 6 monitors after comparing them to a number of others. Among other things I probably should have waited till the prices dropped<G>, they seem to sell now for under $1K for a pair. My space is relatively small, so the 8" version seemed like overkill.

There is some marketing nonsense with which I wish they would dispense, I think it reduces credibility. But that's the only complaint I can come up with.

• They sound great, which is to say I like the way my favorite albums (and mixes) sound.
  • The stereo image is remarkable. (My current mains are also co-axial, but a very old design, and mounted as mains, so there will be a difference).
  • The lower octaves are there, but as one might expect from a 6" driver, it could extend a little further for some of the things I do. I will be adding their matching sub-woofer this spring.
  • They are among the least fatiguing monitors I've ever used. I can work with them for hours without feeling like I'm starting to miss things.
  • They get loud - not loud enough to hurt, but certainly loud enough to get the idea.
I also have a pair of first generation JBL LSR305's, which I also enjoy, and they make a nice counterpoint to the Sceptres. For the most part (there are exceptions of course) I always feel like the Sceptres are a little more "honest". The JBL's sound pretty, which is cool, and always a good test, but sometimes it feels like they are masking things a little bit.

I know I could do even better, there are some outstanding monitors out there these days. But  I'll really need to pinch pennies because the next upgrade for me would probably be Bluesky or Barefoot, and they are in another price category! And while it would be nice, there is no justification for such a purchase right now.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account