• Hardware
  • Monitors for Studio Upgrade (p.2)
2018/04/14 19:18:05
thepianist65
Jim, that's good to know--I just had my eye on those Yamaha's for the past two days...Our band just got a new set of Yamaha PA speakers and they are killer, too. I wouldn't necessarily have looked in that direction. Now I am drooling. For the $$$, I bet they are a great value. 
2018/04/14 20:29:36
thepianist65
Or is the HS8 worth it, and maybe not need a sub?

2018/04/14 20:53:23
fret_man
I like my Yamaha MSP7 monitor. If 8" is too much and 5" not enough, maybe this 7" would suit you well.
2018/04/15 17:23:46
HeatherHaze
I’m using a set of four old Roland DS-90a digital monitors.  They’re dated but still great monitors, in my opinion.  My signal path is digital all the way up to the speakers.  I’m sure the newer monitors sound great, but my ears are so accustomed to the DS-90s I figure I may as well stick with them for as long as they last.  
2018/04/16 13:13:55
Jim Roseberry
thepianist65
Or is the HS8 worth it, and maybe not need a sub?

The client who recommended the HS7s has also used the HS8s.
He told me to avoid the HS8s (don't have the clarity of the HS7s).
Having used nearfields with 8" woofers for over 20 years, I was reluctant to go with anything smaller.
Hooked up the HS7s and the matching sub... and could instantly hear details that were missed with my HR824s.
Takes just a few minutes to get the sub level dialed in (reference some commercial mixes that are familiar).

2018/04/16 16:13:54
thepianist65
Thanks Jim.  That sounds like a solid choice. Coming from a 5 inch system, I'm sure the HS7's would be fine, and at the moment I have no subwoofer and so I usually have to experiment with the bass frequencies or it gets too muddy after mixdown and I have to go back in and dial it back. With this combo I figure there will be less guesswork and more efficient mixing/mastering process. I am assuming the HS8 subwoofer is the one to get to match, or is there another one that you'd recommend?
2018/04/16 17:32:35
Jim Roseberry
The HS8 subwoofer is the one I'd recommend.
Really great combination... and relatively affordable (as studio monitors go)
2018/04/16 21:58:53
poetnprophet
I picked up a great little GEM of a sub from Rockville.  I know, I've never heard of them either but for $140 it's a really good value, sounds pretty decent, and has all the right connections and adjustments to get the exact sound you want.  I'm only using for the bottom end missing in the HS8s...and I have a small space, so it helps to have the x-overs to dial everything just right to where you don't even know it's there.

Dave
2018/04/18 21:20:15
LLyons
If your looking for a budget conscious buy - you might let demo availability play a part in the decision. When I was looking about two years ago, Sweetwater had a demo pair of LSR4328's available, with warranty - both for 500.   I normally do not buy used - but with a warranty and the price, I had nothing to lose.  I am really REALLY glad I did.   :o) 
2018/04/18 22:43:15
Cactus Music
One thing not mentioned here is to be aware that many monitors, ike the HS series are rear ported. I was hoping to replace my NSM 10's with those but I cannot use rear ported. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account