• Computers
  • Best Program To Image Multiple Drives (p.2)
2018/09/20 15:32:09
Starise
I guess the only way to find out if it happens is to get in the trenches and try it. Hopefully I won't ever loose a MOBO.
Whatever isn't deemed as probable still has a scary potential. I'm attempting to plan for the worst. I will eventually be changing computers one day unless something unprobable happens to me or my funds.

When I think about it. If any system could easily be duplicated to new hardware someone somewhere would likely be duping entire daws and selling them. This is what Windows is trying to avoid, hence the verification process. I have no issue upgrading an OS with a new computer. I just wish the restoration process was easier. It usually takes at least a day for me to fully load new daw with all my stuff and I have even more stuff now.

Hopefully we all we need is disk backup if that.
2018/09/20 16:34:07
abacab
It takes me about 25 minutes to completely restore my C: drive from an image.  It would take me a least a week or so to clean install Windows and applications, and configure everything exactly the way I have it now.  If I could even remember everything that I've done to it in the two years since I last clean installed Windows 10, LOL!  I'm happy with it just like it is, and wish to keep it that way! 
2018/09/21 14:02:39
Jim Roseberry
Backup software that's constantly monitoring your machine (with automated/scheduled backup) is *exactly* the type of scenario you want to avoid when configuring a DAW for maximum performance.  

It's a matter of convenience... or performance

Reloading a typical boot-drive (DAW install) from a True Image backup takes ~10-15 minutes.
Can be done without installing anything...
Zero impact on performance
2018/09/22 03:34:08
abacab
Jim Roseberry
Backup software that's constantly monitoring your machine (with automated/scheduled backup) is *exactly* the type of scenario you want to avoid when configuring a DAW for maximum performance.  

Hey Jim, I just have Macrium scheduled to take a full image at the same time each day.  No monitoring or system impact involved in this method, other than than the image itself running.  As long as you schedule it for "off hours" you will never notice it running. 

I would agree that any backup schemes that involve monitoring for changes are best avoided.
2018/09/22 09:28:52
BobF
abacab
Jim Roseberry

Hey Jim, I just have Macrium scheduled to take a full image at the same time each day.  No monitoring or system impact involved in this method, other than than the image itself running.  As long as you schedule it for "off hours" you will never notice it running. 

I would agree that any backup schemes that involve monitoring for changes are best avoided.

Same here.  Scheduler is the only impact.  The jobs run between 11P and 3A.  I suppose one could argue there has to be *something* periodically deciding whether it's time to launch or not, but I'm not taxing my system that close to the edge anyway.
2018/09/24 14:14:13
Jim Roseberry
It doesn't get any cleaner than zero install, zero scheduling, zero monitoring.  
If the boot drive fails or the OS is hosed, you're set (same exact method to restore).
2018/09/24 15:55:43
abacab
I did the manual imaging thing for years.  Sorry, but not going back.  Too much work.
2018/09/24 20:45:47
Jim Roseberry
It takes all of two minutes to get started.  

2018/09/25 01:59:50
BobF
It's not difficult or time-consuming to manually kick off backups.  My problem is remembering and being awake when I want them to happen
2018/09/25 12:30:05
Jim Roseberry
BobF
It's not difficult or time-consuming to manually kick off backups.  My problem is remembering and being awake when I want them to happen

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account