• Features & Ideas
  • Editing multi-track drums is completely impossible. This needs to be addressed. (p.3)
2016/02/02 04:54:55
mourningpyre
Lord Tim
Cheers, man! 

I think the other thing that needs addressing is the manual or the tutorials in using this. Cake's Dan Gonzalez did some excellent tutorials on multitrack drum stuff including a bit of Audiosnap things, and his methods - while effective - were a little confusing, and the manual made my brain hurt trying to understand the method they prefer you to use.

I don't think this stuff is as hard as it appears to be, and fighting with the tools is just making the matter worse...!

I have a channel where I'm doing Sonar tutorials for this exact reason.  My hope is that the videos I create can help bridge the gap for new users who can view a quick video instead of the the length documentation (Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb9quoCHzUzeSG2xGAcpw0g)

Let me please clarify that I'm grateful for the documentation!

However, a lot of the documentation, though very thorough, is just like trying to read applied mathematics sometimes.  I was preparing an AudioSnap tutorial and become frustrated with the issues I was having, which lead to me making this thread.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I ran into the insane slow down problems while making my slip-editing video.  I circumvented that by bouncing the slipped-clips into new clips.  Maybe this doesn't have anything to do with AudioSnap at all, but how Sonar is handling clips within a session?

2016/02/02 05:41:19
metalfactorystudios
Some time ago I posted some features for editing drums, maybe you agree with some of them:

- Tab to transient: Works wonders with individual tracks but starts to fail when tabbing with grouped clips, that´s really annoying
- Group clips: I wonder why when tracks are grouped if you select one track and make a split it doesn´t make a cut in all tracks, that slows a ton the workflow when cutting tracks to edit them to the grid so it doubles the steps to make a cut for all the tracks grouped.
- Grid lines: The only way to change the resolution of the grid is by enabling SmartGrid, but everytime you change the zoom it changes its resolution. A way to set the grid lines to your prefer resolution will be a major improvement
- AudioSnap: (This one has been address perfectly by Scott in this original post) Those who work professionaly need to speed up our editing time. Now audiosnap is the only way to edit multitrack drums ala BeatDet way. Your select your markers, merge them and cut. So far so good. Now it comes the bad part, the session begins to slow down, if you ever dare to save the session it will take maybe 10 minutes and 300mb size. That´s really bad and why I mainly switch to PT for that.
- Strech clips only works with one track at a time. So if you´re trying to strech your 20 drums tracks for some cymbal bleed you have to do it one by one :(
- Enable a quick quantize button that will move to the selected grid without having to set the parameters in the quantize menu, like you do on PT, just press a key and move. Bang!!

2016/02/02 21:12:15
brundlefly
Late to the party, and haven't read the whole thread in detail, but didn't see any references to this:

The main issue in the original post is that every clip created by splitting at transients is a slip-edited copy of the original with Audiosnap enabled, which basically squares the number of transient markers that SONAR has to keep track of.

What you want to do is select all clips, and Apply Trimming to destructively apply the slip-edits, and then disable Audiosnap on all the clips, either using the AS Palette or the Audiosnap section of the Clip tab in the Track Inspector.

2016/02/03 03:30:39
mourningpyre
brundlefly
What you want to do is select all clips, and Apply Trimming to destructively apply the slip-edits, and then disable Audiosnap on all the clips, either using the AS Palette or the Audiosnap section of the Clip tab in the Track Inspector.

I'll give this a shot and see how it goes, thanks for the advice!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account