2016/06/17 22:55:23
vintagevibe
Anyone know anything about this:  AMD Quad-Core A10-8700P Processor?  I'm looking for bang-for-buck.  My laptop needs are modest - Sibelius,  Cubase 8.5  4-5 tracks max (if that),  minimal FX and Addictive Drums and Kontakt or SampleTank using 3-4 instruments at a time.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZG635W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADZU3W0Q42T5J

2016/06/17 23:13:46
robert_e_bone
I have built many computers over the years for myself, for audio recording purposes.  Some have been built with Intel CPU's. and some with AMD.

The fastest machine I had contained an Intel CPU (i7 2600k) a few years back, with 32 GB of memory.  VERY quick machine, and I never had performance issues with it.

I built other machines since then, all using AMD multi-core processors, and have to say that I can put an AMD-based CPU and motherboard in place for quite a bit less than an equivalent level of Intel CPU and an accompanying motherboard for an Intel socket.

In fact, the online place where I happen to pick up a lot of my computer parts from (Micro Center), offers AMD CPU/Motherboard bundled deals all the time, where you can get a top-level AMD CPU and a good motherboard for between $150-$200, which to me and MY budget (being disabled), makes very good sense.  The other components are not CPU based, so their cost would be the same, so overall, I get VERY good bang for the buck putting systems together for myself using AMD CPU's, rather than Intel.

That being said, the Intel CPU's ARE faster - but they ARE also more expensive, as are the motherboards, compared to a decent motherboard for an AMD socket - specially with the bundled prices available.

My AMD-based computers have ZERO performance issues dealing with audio streaming and processing for Sonar, so I will for myself continue to look at all options whenever putting a new computer together, but will likely continue to land on the side of saving some bucks going with AMD over Intel.

Bob Bone

2016/06/18 11:32:43
vintagevibe
Great to know.  One thing I just thought of is that the new 6th gen intel laptops get 7+ hours of battery life.  That's pretty important to me.
2016/06/18 19:56:46
robert_e_bone
Beware laptops and WiFi adapters potentially interfering with DPC latency spikes - just be prepared to disable or turn off any WiFi adapter just prior to launching your Sonar sessions, and then enabling or turning the WiFi adapter back ON right after closing your Sonar sessions.  It really depends on whether or not running Sonar with WiFi enabled is causing latency spikes that interfere with smooth performance when using audio streaming applications, such as Sonar :)

Bob Bone

2016/06/19 16:10:17
Jim Roseberry
vintagevibe
Great to know.  One thing I just thought of is that the new 6th gen intel laptops get 7+ hours of battery life.  That's pretty important to me.

FWIW, Long battery life comes at a price (that being performance).  
2016/06/19 23:41:06
vintagevibe
Jim Roseberry
vintagevibe

FWIW, Long battery life comes at a price (that being performance).  

I don't think this will be the case.  I'm going from an i5 3230m to an i5 6200u.  I would expect a significant boost in CPU power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGGOZOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2016/06/20 12:23:37
Jim Roseberry
If you making a big move in CPU, yes... I'd expect increased performance.
But the way to extended battery life *is* throttled performance.
There's no voodoo involved.   

Long battery-life and highest performance are diametrically opposed.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account